cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice ?

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
I'd first like to start off with an apology to anyone I've annoyed by asking so many questions so fast. I'm just anxious and nevervous about all this at the same time so I have a lot of questions and concerns.
After reading advice on here and doing research I've come to the conclusion to eleminate certain TH's like the Coachmen 301BLDS and some other heavier models.
Howver, I do have one more bigger size TH question though so please bear with me. What do you think of a 30' 6023 UVW Hyper Lite 27HFS? To much?

Or I am now looking for at the open floor plan modesl like the KZ MXT 20? Any recommendations on those brand wise?

Any help is appreciated, I'm trying to do what's best for me, my family and others around as we attempt to get into the RV community.

Thank You
18 REPLIES 18

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry you won't be joining our "family" but totally understand your decision.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
Mod, lock it up

Thanks

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
I/we decided we are not going to go this route, in fact we are not going to get a toy hauler or travel trailer or anything.
I wimped out because my truck won't do it.

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the advice.

Y-Guy
Ok so now you take your max weight and start the math. They ususlly account for a 150# driver, then you need to subtract other weights in the truck such as passengers. That weight for the trailer you looked at is estimated shipping weight, you need the actual weight. Once you add batteries, LP, supplies, camping gear and toys you'll be right up, if not over your max weight. For a short trailer that's one thing, but with a long tail heavy toy hauler that's complete other story.

nayther brings up a great issue, finding a good drop hitch and equalizer hitch. That will work with your lifted truck. I don't know if Hensely makes drops that big, but that's the type of hitch you're going to want/need.

Do what you wish, but my gut tells me that you'll be buying a bigger truck sooner then you think.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
So with no downgrade for the lift you're at 8750? I assume that is max. towing weight correct? If so that's about 250# more than my old 1500 Chevy and sounds about right. The 3.92 gears are good, but offset by the big tires. Aside from weight (be VERY skeptical of the mfr. listed weights, they are usually for a totally stripped trailer) I would be concerned about the hitch; with a truck that tall the drop to get your ball low enough will put a tremendous amount of stress on the receiver, suggest you have a reputable hitch shop take a look, you may even want to flip the trailer axles to get the ball up higher.

I would still recommend a shorter trailer regardless, those tall tires will also be an issue as they will flex much more than regular tires and may contribute to instability. Make sure the weight is accurate, not generic, for the specific trailer as delivered, then carefully decide what you're going to put in it. You'd be amazed at how heavy all the food, clothes, pots/pans, etc. is.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

TexasChaps
Explorer
Explorer
Gebrown wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Your question about whether it is too large is kinda like asking how long is a piece of rope..without more info everything would just be a guess.

What is your tow vehicle?
How much actual payload do you have?

TV:
2008 Ram 1500 5.7L
Tow pkg
6" lift w/35" tires

When I purchased my MXT20, I borrowed a friends RAM 1500 to get it home as I did not have a suitable TV.. it was an experience I'd rather like to forget..

do yourself a favor and upgrade to something more capable..

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
The inside of the door jam says up to 8750. It does have the tow pkg with the 3.92 gears and the 5.7L Hemi.

This is off my build sheet:
AHC Trailer Tow Group
DGQ 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission
DMHS 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
DRBS Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
EZB 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS Engine
NHBP Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
XFHP Class IV Receiver Hitch
XFKP 7 Pin Wiring Harness
XFUS Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring

It says the following but since the previous owner put a lift on it I'm not sure if this still applies:
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers

So, that's what my truck has, this is straight off the build sheet from Dodge, of course there's a lot more but I didn't include stuff like the seats and interior color etc.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with Y Guy on this, were all just speculating until we know for sure your towing capacities. Use the guide Old Biscuit linked and see where you come out. If his numbers are correct you cannot tow a trailer that large.

Like Y Guy I towed with a 1/2 ton Chevy when I had a Wanderer 217, actual box length was about 23'. With 4 dirtbikes 1 quad and water, food, etc. I was WAY over my truck's capacity and I went through 2 transmissions and had a severe rod knock when I sold it, basically it killed the truck.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
This is the place where you learn, lots of info, good people, lasting friendships....

Ask all you want, i dont mind at all...
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Y-Guy
Gebrown wrote:
I'd first like to start off with an apology to anyone I've annoyed by asking so many questions so fast.

I don't think anyone is annoyed by the frequency of your questions, but several of us, including myself, have posted replies and suggested you do some homework.

That being you need to open up your owners manual and find out the limits for your truck. I've never seen you reply with those (if you have my apologies), so the rest of the comments are just based on thoughts and ideas. You need to know what you can and can not tow, based on the manufacturer weight ratings. Once you know that, then and only then can you take into account for your lift and tires as they will reduce what you can tow most likely. Please, for your sake, look at those numbers. Post them, then we can give you advice based on the weights.

Honestly, I think anything over 30' long is going to be a bad towing experience with your truck, but that's just from personal experience towing at 29'4" trailer with my previous Avalanche.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on which model of 1500 you have a tow rating of roughly 5200# with a payload rating of about 1300# (minus weight of people/stuff in truck)

More info here.......LINK

Just keep in mind that you will run out of payload and reach GVWR before you reach mfg. tow rating
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, found one, well actually two, both are White Water (?, never heard of that brand), one is an 826 and the other an 827. Both are 27' and weigh a little over 4K lbs according to the site.

White Water 826:
http://www.tulsarv.net/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=3726405

White Water 827:
http://www.tulsarv.net/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=3785245

What do y'all think?

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I don't plan on putting water or fuel in it until I get to where I'm going.
But I do have a 688lb 4 wheeler I'd like to take with me places if we want to, that's why we're looking at TH's.

Gebrown
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Your question about whether it is too large is kinda like asking how long is a piece of rope..without more info everything would just be a guess.

What is your tow vehicle?
How much actual payload do you have?

TV:
2008 Ram 1500 5.7L
Tow pkg
6" lift w/35" tires