cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Cond issues at Campground

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
We arrived last nite for our second journey in our 2013 Mountaineer. The first trip I had no air conditioning issues. This trip I plugged in the power to fire up the air. It popped after 10 seconds. I'm in a 30 amp sight. breaker didnt pop and nore did the fuse. One thing, I still had the power plugged into the truck if that could be a issue. Its 90 degrees and this campground (Potholes State Park) has issues on occasions with extreme heat but my neighbours air is working. I've try unhooking and everything I can imagine. I thought that maybe the 110 was working but the 30amp popped in my site. I tried the micro which thought requires 30amp and it works fine. Its going to be 90 plus. I'm going to call the dealer soon. Any ideas??
18 REPLIES 18

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
One hidden source of power draw it took me a while to figure out was my electric coffee pot. I'd forgot to turn off the heating element when I was done with it. My AC kept kicking the pedestal breaker until I discovered that the coffee pot was on. Turned it off, and everything was okay.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

KSadler1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a generator, fire it up and see if that will run your AC. At the very least you will eliminate your AC as being the problem.....
2008 Ford F250 XLT Super Duty SB Crew Cab 6.8L V-10 4x4 4:10
(former 5er owner)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
At this very moment I am sitting at a place, a boatyard, with very old & unreliable power. It is supposedly 30amp. Not!

Assuming your AC unit is OK, the trick is to turn everything 110 that you can off at the circuit breaker.
The easy ones are the fridge & water heater. Leave them on propane. Only turn the waterheater on 15 min before you want a shower. Shut the battery charger off too.

The CG voltage must be very low & the demand very high with the heat. A simple little voltmeter plugged into one of your outlets will tell the story, at least on one leg of power.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

sele
Explorer
Explorer
put your ac on low and let it cool slowly instead of a high demand set thermostat at 78 and readjust it every hour or so to bring the temp down. As others have stated put hot water heater and frig on propane and keep elec use to a miniuim leaving all available power for ac. if you have vents that allow for recirculation use them it is easier to cool air that has already been cooled and have the humidity removed
scott

jayhardy
Explorer
Explorer
No breakers ever broke. I heard something real quick but don't no where. Campground said there having serious issues with 100 degree heat. I'll try turning off water heater breaker next. It's hot at happy hour to put it lightly. Dealer was no help. They said bring it in. Huge hassle to put it lightly

Swamp_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I am assuming that the breaker to the A/C unit tripped. If you have a 50 amp service (I am guessing that you do since you posted you have two A/C units) and are using an adaptor to run the trailer from a 30 amp plug then it is likely that the plug or breaker isn't getting enough power. This results in all kinds of strange behavior and can damage the A/C units. I suggest you obtain a digital volt meter and check with the voltage at the power pole is. Campgrounds are bad about low voltage during high use peroids (hot days). We have had to run the generator at times due to low voltage.
Steve & Trudy Jackson
2018 Cyclone 4005
2016 Ford F-450 6.7 PSD
AirSafe 25K hitch

wmgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
What he is saying, if the water heater is electric then on a 30 amp service in a busy campground your AC will have problems starting and running. If your water heater is propane never mind.
Retired Guy, too many Hobbies not enough time.
Master Electrician, Union HVAC/R, Home Machine/Fab shop

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Montana will try to bring both AC units on-you have to turn off one of them at the thermistat(sp).It always de-faults to two AC's.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
110V AC supplies you with power from park pedestal.
Your 50A rig with a 30A adapter allows you to have AC power and run AC equipment up to a draw of 30 amps.
That AC power supplies....
converter (which supplies 12V DC power and charges batteries)
A/C Unit
Microwave
Heating elements for fridge & water heater
outlets
TV

On 30A you can run A/C unit, fridge, TV, outlets but will probably trip breaker if you try to run water heater, microwave when using A/C unit.

When overloaded the 30A breaker at pedestal may trip, Main AC breaker inside rig power panel may trip OR the breaker for A/C unit may trip.

Your truck/trailer cord supplies 12V DC power to lights/trailer brakes
Your trailer battery (and converter when on shore power) supply the trailer with 12V DC power for furnace, control circuits for water heater, fridge, thermostat, inside lights, slides etc.

"This trip I plugged in the power to fire up the air. It popped after 10 seconds"
WHAT popped after 10 seconds??

Check circuit breakers in trailer power panel.
Does A/C Fan turn ON (from t-stat....manually)?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
jayhardy wrote:
Its a 2013 38' Montana. I have a 30 amp converter on the plug. One air con unit. Not sure about the water heater

Well, check the water heater.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Hot Water and frig. should be on propane and try only one a/c. Do other electrical items work?

Rmcgrath53
Explorer
Explorer
we have a surge protector that shuts off if the voltage drops or rises to much that we hook to the pedestal.it has shut off about 5 times this year when overloaded.dirty power or to many on the circuit
2008 keystone Everest 345s re
2002 F350 4x4 7.3 diesel crew cab dually. 135,000 miles extra leafs.
Banks stinger/ with an edge attitude set at tow
prodigy 3p curt 20k hitch
trail air suspension trail air pinbox
2 e2000 honda w parralel kit
560 watts solar

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Oops- question answered...
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer