cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner Dripping Inside RV

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
This morning I heard noise coming from the AC that sounded like debris was caught near the fan and rustling around. I took the white cover off inside the RV to see if I could find anything. When I took the cover off I found the inside of it had a pool of water sitting around the edge. I could pull down slightly on the metal ring that holds the AC to the roof and has the 4 bolts going through it. When I did this I could see signs of water. Also these 4 bolts were loose and I could tighten them with my hand. I found a drip that is coming from behind a metal plate that faces to the rear of the AC (see pic, I'm pointing at the location). It looks like there is a foam seal behind it. I think that's my main drip but the water under the metal ring is also concerning me. I took photos of the roof as it looks like the water is running off it. Wondering what the correct fix for this may be. Thanks

2007.5 Long Bed Dodge Mega Cab Dually
2005 ATC 41' 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
www.facebook.com/adventurerig
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig
13 REPLIES 13

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You want as few as possible. You only get a few tightening cycles as the foam loses resiliency. I would try two turns and see if that cures it. If you clamp it down tight the next time it leaks you are replacing the gasket.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to say for sure but I would think you would need more than 3 turns. I had one leak with this problem and it did take several turns on each bolt. They don't have to be super tight but do need to be snug.

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up going maybe 3 turns. They were finger loose when I started.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
He stated he could turn the bolts by hand...he will need to tighten them more than a few turns. Be sure you tighten them evenly so the gasket will seal evenly.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many turns?

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
I tightened down the 4 bolts and it appears that fixed the problem. Thank you
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

jesse_m_jm
Explorer
Explorer
We also had this problem. Got a new gasket, still dripping inside. Cleaned out drain weep holes, still dripping inside. Camping world couldn't figure it out. Talked to another RV'er who had the same thing. Their mobile tech told them to leave the fan on instead of on Auto when they are running the AC. What was happening is when the room cools down and the AC kicked off, any ice that was on the condenser was melting and pooling in that pan like yours, then when it filled up, it was dripping into the RV. Be leaving the fan on, it keeps that from happening. Since we have tried it, no more dripping into the RV...
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
2009 Keystone Raptor 3712TS
Living full time in it with 4 boys. We might be crazy... :B

Our Blog - Our Family RV Adventure

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree you should tighten the four bolt gasket but you should only tighten the bolts 1-2 turns not crank them tight. If you do that you will ruin the seal and have to replace it.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to tighten the four long bolts so that you depress the 14IN by 14in gasket between 1/8inch to 1/4inch. These four long bolts are the only thing that holds down the top unit sandwiched to the bottom unit.

Probably the gasket is losing its firmness and needs replaced. I did work my four bolts lose when I was traveling between TN and AL going down a very bumpy I59 however. The bolts were so loose I could see my top unit a/c unit moving around...

This gasket and freezing up of the top unit evaporator are about the only two things that cause drips inside the trailer.

photo from google search

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Remove the outer cover, and then look for a drain line coming out of the inside coil. The inside coil is probably full of water, and you might be hearing the water being blown around by the indoor fan. Once the outside cover is off, you probably can locate the round tubing leading from the inside coil to the outside drip pan. But you might need to remove the metal cover over the evaporator to locate the drain for the first time.

It also helps to wash the outside coil every year or so with a garden hose.

You probably already figured out that you need to snug up the 4 bolts that clamp the A/C to the inside housing about every 2 years. There is a flexible gasket between the A/C and roof surface that compresses over time. You probably still have 2-3 years left in that gasket.

I have used a small wire or coat hanger to push through the drip tubing to clean it out, some dirt is probably in there.

Good luck, and have fun camping!

Fred.

Thanks Fred. I'm pretty sure I can hear water being blown around. At the least I can Definitely hear a drip. I thought the dripping noise was normal but maybe it's not. I'll start by taking the cover off the outside portion of the AC tonight and try to locate the drip lines.

Thanks for everyones input.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Remove the outer cover, and then look for a drain line coming out of the inside coil. The inside coil is probably full of water, and you might be hearing the water being blown around by the indoor fan. Once the outside cover is off, you probably can locate the round tubing leading from the inside coil to the outside drip pan. But you might need to remove the metal cover over the evaporator to locate the drain for the first time.

It also helps to wash the outside coil every year or so with a garden hose.

You probably already figured out that you need to snug up the 4 bolts that clamp the A/C to the inside housing about every 2 years. There is a flexible gasket between the A/C and roof surface that compresses over time. You probably still have 2-3 years left in that gasket.

I have used a small wire or coat hanger to push through the drip tubing to clean it out, some dirt is probably in there.

Good luck, and have fun camping!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Tighten the four mounting bolts. The gasket is getting old.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

06bowtie_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Need to find the drain line and ensure it isn't plugged. I'd start there.
On Order - 2015.5 Sierra 3500HD SLT 4SA
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 SRW
14 XLR Hyper Lite 30HFS5