cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Conditioner took a dump (UPDATE)

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
We are camping at Boulder Creek RV resort in Lone Pine,CA (great place},well the A/C fan stopped working. My question is What is the best unit out there? I have a Coleman 15k btu ducted system. Since I have 50 amp service is it possible to get a 240 volt unit.

I went to have the A/C looked at and it was a capacitor on the fan motor. $25 for the part and $182.50 for labor. I thought that wasz a little pricey BUT wait there's more...When i was returning it to storage. I wiped out the left rear quarter of a car. No excuse I screwed up. Now my insurance goes WAY UP. Not a good week.
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.
5 REPLIES 5

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fan motor 135 on amazon

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Since it failed suddenly and was working previously it is likely repairable and may be a simple fix. Good choice waiting before replacing until you're sure.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the information but I'm 72 and afraid of heights so getting on the roof is TOTALLY out of the question. The weather has cooled so we don't need the A/C.

We head home on Monday. And I'll have it checked at home.

Again thanks for the information.
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BiggestRon wrote:
We are camping at Boulder Creek RV resort in Lone Pine,CA (great place},well the A/C fan stopped working. My question is What is the best unit out there? I have a Coleman 15k btu ducted system. Since I have 50 amp service is it possible to get a 240 volt unit.

Before you jump ship just go up to the CG office and ask who they use for RV Mobile Repair. Call them and have them come out to your site. The CG's allow it.

The mobile repair guy will check it and in minutes will know what is wrong with it. And my guess is they will have the part and repair it within the hour and you will have air again. If it does need to be replaced these guys have incredible parts supply contacts and you will have a new one there by the next day and installed.

These guys have see it all and IMHO are THE best RV mechanics in the world. AND you don't have to drop your RV off to have the work done. Just pull up a lawn chair and a cold one and watch it being repaired. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Will the fan still turn by hand?
Was it running and quit or did the thermostat shut it down and it not start?
Did it never start turning?

If it still turns that rules out bearings.
If it was running and made a squealing noise and quit that is bearings (mine did this).
If it was running and did not start back up after cycling off it could be the capacitor.
If it never started it is either the capacitor or the motor is bad.

Mine locked up one June, I climbed up top and took it apart, identified the motor number and lucky for me Dick Gore's was right down I95 and they had one in stock. About a 2 to 3 hour job for me to change out and it was my first time doing it. I took pictures as it came apart just in case memory failed me and I put it back together without any issue.

Make sure you have power going to it and check the capacitors, they fail and that may be your problem and not the motor.

Mine is also a Coleman 15K ducted. It has not given me any problems since. I think the fan motor was about 115.00.

Chris
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab