cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air suspension advantage or not

BigD2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Ford F250 XLT 6.7L Diesel and I pull a FR Silverback LTDTS 33 foot fifth wheel. I am a little below max weights for truck and trailer. I was thinking about adding rear air suspension to help stabilize the ride.

Is this money well spent, and what are potential advantages?

Thanks In Advance
Dick
2006 Forrest River Cedar Creek LTDTS 33 foot
2011 Ford F250 XLT 6.7L Diesel
27 REPLIES 27

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
C Schomer wrote:
"I know this will pull a firestorm down on my head, but my personal opinion is that if you need air bags then you do not have enough truck!"
Yes, that's your opinion and you know what opinions are like, don't you? I had air bags on my dually when I only had a 10k 5er and it had NOTHING to do with not having enough truck. There's lots of other advantages to air bags but if you never had them, you won't know, will you? Sorry, but you asked for it!Craig

I totally agree with the quote! He said "need" that is a lot different than want to add bags to help control springs.

I have bags on my Dually and run 30psi loaded with 4,500# pin wt. The bags are to control the springs on some of our lovely roads and are not for changing ride ht.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
BigD2, just realized from you post that you are located in East Peoria, IL. You may want to stop by TrucknStuff up on War Memorial and ask them to look at an install for Firestone air bags. They do a ton of bags in this area. My bags do not interfere with my Reese hitch on rails.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
The bump stop hole is the only frame hole used by the firestone bags on my 09 GM hd since the bags replace the bump stops.

This is good information...thanks!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
So the rail kit covers the hole for the bump stop? That would mean you now have no bump stop which is unlikely. The bump stop hole is the only frame hole used by the firestone bags on my 09 GM hd since the bags replace the bump stops. Must be a totally different setup on the Fords.

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I have Reese with Air Lift and have had no problems.

redsb3
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked out Air Lift bags, they may work for you. They have quite a few "no drill" installations.
2005 GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB with 6.6L Duramax/Allison
2002 Automate 5W, 32 ft, 13,280 GVWR
Valley Glider Hitch

BigD2
Explorer
Explorer
I found out today that the Firestone air bags I was thinking about buying will not work with the custom frame rail kit that I used to install my fifth wheel hitch as it covers the hole in the truck frame that is used to connect the top flange of the air bag kit to the frame. from the inside. This is the frame rail kit

Has anyone had this problem and were you able to solve it? According to Reese it will void the warranty if I drill a hole for the new Air Bag installation.

All of this is making me look to another way to solve the problem. Has anyone had any experience with Super Springs?

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
If you are ever stuck towing after dark and your headlights are aimed up you will start thinking you need bags just for that reason alone!

Ditto
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you add more spring capacity for the load by adding air spring kits or overload spring "early engagers" - try a pair of full hydraulic shock absorbers in place of gas shocks.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
IF they work on semi tractors who pull within their capacities they can surely do the same on our trucks. I've had 3 tow vehicles with them now and won't tow without.

socoguy
Explorer
Explorer
Quote: Maximize safe load-carrying capacity, increase stability and improve ride quality,Keep your TV level when you are hauling a heavy load,Improve steering control and braking when you are hauling or towing,Level your headlight beams, Reduce tire wear, Maintain even load distribution with air pressure, leveling off-center loads Air bags adjust manually, side to side, with individual inflation valves
Reduce strain on rear suspension. Prevent permanent sagging and excessive friction in leaf springs, Increase stability, Absorb road shock for a smooth ride, Soften contact between axle and frame to prevent bottoming out

X2 Good sensible commentary from BigD2

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
love them on my 2013 gmc 2500slt it rides a lot better when I put 30lbs in for towing 13500 trailer. Not as much movement all round

BigD2
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
I know this will pull a firestorm down on my head, but my personal opinion is that if you need air bags then you do not have enough truck!

I don't think there will be a firestorm. That is a very understandable point of view. I think we all know that there are many rigs running around with not enough truck. We have all had a good laugh at the statement made by some RV salesman claiming that this or that trailer is half ton towable. On my particular rig I am 10% under all manufacturers weights for GCWR the truck and trailer. I don't think that air bags can do much of anything to help with a rig that is overweight. It is not realistic to say that any truck drives and feels the same towing or just using it as a daily driver, and it is that difference that I am trying to help correct, or at least help. With a loaded trailer my truck sits down approximately
3" and I would like it to be level, but there are other advantages as listed below

Maximize safe load-carrying capacity, increase stability and improve ride quality,Keep your TV level when you are hauling a heavy load,Improve steering control and braking when you are hauling or towing,Level your headlight beams, Reduce tire wear, Maintain even load distribution with air pressure, leveling off-center loads Air bags adjust manually, side to side, with individual inflation valves
Reduce strain on rear suspension. Prevent permanent sagging and excessive friction in leaf springs, Increase stability, Absorb road shock for a smooth ride, Soften contact between axle and frame to prevent bottoming out.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you talking rear air suspension, or just adding supplemental air bags?

I have the Firestone air bags on my Dodge and am very happy with them. They smoothed out the ride considerably.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"