cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska Trip from FL (Size Limit Questions)

Flscubadiver72
Explorer
Explorer
Hello as of right now we own a 2016 Lance 855s Truck Camper it sits right at 12'4 high and 23 long we also have a 12x8.5 enclosed trailer we will be pulling for a total length of 39ft....We have been looking at 5th wheel toy haulers and found the Raptor 355ts to fit our bill but we are worried about the 13'2 height and the 40ft length of the trailer restricting us to just KOA campgrounds......We are making a trip to AK from FL we will be going to Grand Canyon Zion Sequoia Yosemite Yellowstone and up the West Coast we just dont want to make this trip and be confined to big commercial camping resorts.....Any Advice??

Also whats a ball park for mileage pulling a 5th wheel (We are getting about 13 with the Truck Camper pulling the trailer)

We have a 2016 Dodge 3500 Mega cab 4x4 so pulling the 5th wheel isn't an issue.

Thank you
12 REPLIES 12

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOA 55' here. Made the Alaska trip 3 times. No length issues. Mostly did SPs & NFS type CGs. Private ones are even longer to accomodate the caravans with their class As & the toad.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Flscubadiver72
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on going riding in Page AZ lots of trails around the CO river then we will stop in Vegas again lots of riding around there as well then its off to the west coast CA OR WA where we found tons of OHV parks as far as Alaska we dont know yet but im sure we will get a lot of use out of the ATV

arnko37
Explorer
Explorer
I made the 15,000 mile round trip from Florida to Alaska a few years ago. This was at a time when gas prices were way up. At the time we had a 36 ft MH, a new car and a diesel pu truck. I did not want to get the car dinged up by gravel roads so we bought a used 20 ft TT for the trip. After the trip we sold the TT and everything turned out great. Glad we went and still talk about it. For the trip we averaged 20mpg instead of 8 mpg the motorhome got.

dgfarMSCOUGAR
Explorer
Explorer
I was having similar thoughts pickup camper or take fith wheel. Only thing I question is if we brought our side by side utv, would it be worth while? Or we could have gotten along without missing some of the scenery that was off the beaten tract? Any observations would be appreciated.

F250 super duty 6.7
Sea eagle boat
Sea eagle kyaka
31res Denali 5th wheel
Yamaha run quite 2400 Invertor

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to all the places you mentioned including Alaska with a 40 or 45ft coach pulling a car. ZERO issues finding a place to stay. I don't like KOA either.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in both public and private campgrounds in AK along with some boon docking with a 37 ft 5th wheel. We enjoyed each and every stop. You will be fine with a truck camper and enclosed trailer. We only made a couple of reservations the entire trip and had no difficulty finding places to stay. Have a great trip.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would probably keep what you have for the AK trip, not because of size, but wear and tear. You already know getting the toys out can be a problem, but at 40' you'll need to take them out before putting it in most sites.

We are able to boondock most of the time, but it takes more planning and not showing up Friday without reservations. I always say to buy more RV than you think you need... ONE TIME but I'd wait a year on the TH.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Flscubadiver72 wrote:
Yes the enclosed trailer has our ATV 2 motorcycles and a 12ft Jon boat

Keep what you have, go and enjoy the trip.

We have done the Alaskan trip several times, and never were restricted as to which camp grounds to use with the coach, but often envied the campers ability to get around in the cities/towns.

Plus, In My opinion, your camper is better built than 99% of the toy haulers.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Flscubadiver72
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the enclosed trailer has our ATV 2 motorcycles and a 12ft Jon boat

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck camper is the ideal vehicle for a trip to Alaska. Do you really need to take a trailer too? We traveled all over North America (eg Arctic to Baja) in our Lance 1030 and were able to take all the necessary stuff for extended trips. Having the trailer will make it more difficult to find quick pull off the road scenery stops and some camping areas.

That will be a great trip you have planned.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a 5th wheel and a pickup camper and it is not so much a question of towing and mileage but of accessibility to National Parks and remote areas. You will be somewhat restricted with the 40 ft. 5er. Unless I am going somewhere and staying for a week I take the truck camper as it is easier to park at most "roadside attractions" and you always have your stuff with you so you don't have to worry about packing up for each days outing, and experiencing leaving the raincoat in the trailer. Two different styles of RVing.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The height isn't much of a problem. Most 5vers and other RVs are over 13'. The length will restrict how many federal campgrounds you can use. For example there is only one valley CG in Yosemite that a big RV will fit into (North Pines) and only some of the sites in that CG would work. 40 ft is on the long side tho, a 35 ft RV would give you more flexibility.

Most commercial CG will work and you can find federal CG that work too with some effort. We camped in Lassen and Yosemite for example.

Not sure if this will cross over to your RAM but we get 9-12 mpg with our F-350. Mileage depends on winds and road grade. Most of the time we get 10-11 mpg.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper