cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Already have 1 Carlisle tire so???????

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
Had to repalce a tire last year as we had a blow out on stock tire. Not much choice when on the road for tires. Bought what I could find a Carlisle RADIAL TRAIL RH 225/75-15 Load range E. So at least I would still have a spare to do the rest of our trip. I know I've read some bad stuff about Carlise tires but this is a newer tire they have out or so I think. My question is Do I just buy 3 more of these used my old tire for emergency spare. Or Go out and buy 4 Maxxis tires and use Carlisle for spare:?

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[purple]2004 F250 CC 6.0LFX4. Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese Trunion Dual cam 1700# bars. Rancho RS9000 shocks, SCT Tuner
[/purple]

2009 Cherokee Wolf Pack 30WP

56 REPLIES 56

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
HawkTX wrote:
I had the worst experience with Carlisle on my first toy hauler. 6 blowouts in one year. Went to MAXXIS and never looked back.

When were the blowouts? How long ago?

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
I've had really bad experience with Carlisle tires on my 12,000 GVW Equipment Trailer. Changed and haven't had problems since. Carlisle tires do not cut the mustard. Period!

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
I had the worst experience with Carlisle on my first toy hauler. 6 blowouts in one year. Went to MAXXIS and never looked back.

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a good article that explains much:

ST vs. LT
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

MrVan
Explorer
Explorer
usmohls2@yahoo.com wrote:
Camreal wrote:
Just an opinion , most tires fail because of age, speed, OR load.

or under inflated

Or a poorly designed tire!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
rcpd34 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
I went to my tire distributor. He is a large distributor stocking millions of dollars of tires and also a full service tire installation center that does trailers every day. I showed him the thread and the other linked thread as well. He advised he will not put LT tires on a trailer. He also advised it is illegal.

Ask him to show you a credible link or a state or fed document stating as such. He won't or can't, as there is no such document. Now it may be his store/a company policy.
Nothing illegal about installing a LT or P on any trailer regardless of OEM type.

Not interested in goig back and demanding proof. Lol. Just passing on the info. Do (or don't) as you please with it.

LOL, I knew you weren't :B.
Yeah input like that that comes under the heading of spreading mis information to scare some inexperienced customers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
I went to my tire distributor. He is a large distributor stocking millions of dollars of tires and also a full service tire installation center that does trailers every day. I showed him the thread and the other linked thread as well. He advised he will not put LT tires on a trailer. He also advised it is illegal.

Ask him to show you a credible link or a state or fed document stating as such. He won't or can't, as there is no such document. Now it may be his store/a company policy.
Nothing illegal about installing a LT or P on any trailer regardless of OEM type.

Nothing illegal maybe not...but if those tires fail and cause an accident would you concur you would have liability issues? You placard says one things stated by the manufacturer and you installed something entirely different?

Absolutely not. Simply more internet myth. We are talking weight capacity and not speed ratings.

There won't be any liability issues from installing a LT in place of a ST or P on a trailer as long as the LT weight capacity meets or exceeds the load requirement for the trailers GAWRs.
The tire placard is simply a information placard for the OEM tires and as far as replacement tires go the tire placard may be used as a recommendation. Same for using LT in place of P tires on a truck or trailer. And don't forget most trailers out here were built before the tire placard was mandated by the FMVSS's.
This from NHTSA on the tire placard;

safecar.gov

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is a tire โ€œplacard?โ€ And where is it usually located?

A tire placard is really just a fancy name for a tire information label. This label contains several key pieces of information: (1) the vehicle manufacturerโ€™s recommended psi (pounds per square inch) or kilopascals (kPa) of air pressure for your vehicleโ€™s tires, (2) the maximum weight (or โ€œloadโ€) you should have in your vehicle. Load or weight limits are usually given in terms of number of occupants or total weight (in pounds or kilograms) and (3) the recommended tire size.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Not interested in goig back and demanding proof. Lol. Just passing on the info. Do (or don't) as you please with it.
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
Camreal wrote:
Just an opinion , most tires fail because of age, speed, OR load.

or under inflated

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simply fear mongering!

The placard is simply a declaration by the manufacturer as to what was installed prior to first sale. There is absolutely no legal requirement to install the same tires depicted on the placard. The only legal requirement is that replacement tires must equal or exceed the axle ratings (GAWR).

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Nothing illegal maybe not...but if those tires fail and cause an accident would you concur you would have liability issues? You placard says one things stated by the manufacturer and you installed something entirely different?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

chipster
Explorer
Explorer
Ric Flair wrote:
"Already have 1 Carlisle tire so???????"

So, make a tire swing out of it.

LOL

Brian/Lynette

and the 3 Cubs,

[purple]2004 F250 CC 6.0LFX4. Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese Trunion Dual cam 1700# bars. Rancho RS9000 shocks, SCT Tuner
[/purple]

2009 Cherokee Wolf Pack 30WP

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
rcpd34 wrote:
I just posted this on another, but similar, thread:

Bit of an update. I went to my tire distributor. He is a large distributor stocking millions of dollars of tires and also a full service tire installation center that does trailers every day. I showed him the thread and the other linked thread as well. He advised he will not put LT tires on a trailer. He also advised it is illegal. If a trailer comes to him for inspection without ST tires it will fail. He wasn't going to get drawn into a debate, but his first question after looking at the load ratings published in the thread was why would you give up load capability and sidewall strength? I also went by the local RV dealer and every new trailer I looked at on the lot had ST tires; NONE had LT. My position is do whatever you want on your own rig; we're all adults. I'm sticking with the ST's.

You are correct, we all get to roll our own dice ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad I dont live in your state, I would have to replace tires every 1 or 2 years tops.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B