Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson Ultimate Hitch WARNING ***WARNING

RetiredSquid
Explorer
Explorer
Email between me and Anderson Customer Service:

Jim,

Thank you for contacting us in regards to our Ultimate Connection Hitch and due to some flex in the bed of the truck we have changed the torque sequence on the base of the hitch to ensure it is snug when towing.

Place base over gooseneck ball and pin to the gooseneck ball
Tighten upper bolt to 50 ft.lbs of torque
Lower Trailer onto pyramid base (prior to tightening the two lower set bolts)
Re-torque the top bolt to 50 ft.lbs in case any flex of the base or bed came into play.
Tighten the lower two set bolts on the coupler tube to 40 ft. lbs.

Thanks,

Dave.

On 2015-10-07 13:36, Jim Cummings wrote:
Recentlly I read that Anderson revised the torque sequence on the
untimate hitch? Same as before but torque top bolt again after
connecting trailor?

True?

Jim Cummings
36 REPLIES 36

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
OK to WARN about a hitch......

but *NOT* ST tires.

Hmmmmm - does CW sell and/or install this brand of hitch?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
RetiredSquid wrote:
I have a sprayed in bedliner, using a torque wrench set to 50 lbs before hook up and after hook up. It takes significant torque to bring mine back to 50 lbs after hooking up.

How far can u turn after hooking? 1/4,1/2. full turn?? What is your pin weight?

It's odd some are having to re-torque while other like myself don't.

Bed Flex?? :h

No way :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't had to re-torque after hook up,however I let it set for a few seconds then re-torque when installing . I do have a spray-in-liner.
Might be the difference in brand of turn-over ball, I have a Curt which uses a double locking pin. Maybe the wrench some use.

RetiredSquid
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
RetiredSquid wrote:
I have a sprayed in bedliner, using a torque wrench set to 50 lbs before hook up and after hook up. It takes significant torque to bring mine back to 50 lbs after hooking up.

3/4 turn

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
gkainz wrote:
I have a rubber mat under mine. When I asked if that was ok or a problem, Andersen basically said "That's great!" ๐Ÿ™‚ However, there have been a few times where I've gotten a pretty significant, startling CLUNK 10 minutes into a trip after reinstalling the hitch. I'm going to give this new installation and torque sequence a try.

reviving a sleeping thread, but just had to update ... experienced the same CLUNK with an ATV trailer behind the truck this weekend, so it is NOT an issue with the Andersen. Still investigating.

Just spitballing here but have you looked at the spare tire mount? Mine was banging one time it was the tire hitting the hitch frame underneath

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
N-Trouble wrote:
RetiredSquid wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
RetiredSquid wrote:

2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Just hooked up today and was still at 50ft/lbs after attaching trailer. Couldn't turn It at all.

When I install the hitch I turn the top bolt REALLY slow and can get a lot of turns on it and it's **** snug against the bed.

You may be cranking it down to fast.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

RetiredSquid
Explorer
Explorer

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
gkainz wrote:
I have a rubber mat under mine. When I asked if that was ok or a problem, Andersen basically said "That's great!" ๐Ÿ™‚ However, there have been a few times where I've gotten a pretty significant, startling CLUNK 10 minutes into a trip after reinstalling the hitch. I'm going to give this new installation and torque sequence a try.

reviving a sleeping thread, but just had to update ... experienced the same CLUNK with an ATV trailer behind the truck this weekend, so it is NOT an issue with the Andersen. Still investigating.

Look up axle wrap...or could be that your slip joint on the drive shaft needs lubing...either one is not a real problem.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

ranchertx
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ranchertx wrote:
I use the Anderson hitch with my Mobile Suite and Ram truck and have for 2 1/2 years. I use a rubber bed mat. I have never had any trouble like the op refers to. The hitch is above several frame cross members and I dont see the sheet metal flexing.

How would you know if the bed is flexing with a rubber mat in the bed?

Digital remote camera

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
How about removable bed rails?

You could pin this to the Demco Hijacker 6099 picture frame that I bought and the load is then on the frame of a RAM truck via the pucks.

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3200--ultimate-5th-wheel-connection-rail-version.aspx

Chris

Your size RV with the picture frame adapter and Andersen in pic would be fine IMHO at the weight of your RV, much more then not in my comfort zone.

Where would you hook the safety chains?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerem0621 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
I'm liking my bed rails more and more...since I don't care or need a flat bed when the hitch is removed. I used the Curt custom brackes with a heavy plate bolted to the frame on each side with 3 large bolts. Then the plates meet under the bed rails and support the rails with the spacers so the bed doesn't crush. Very robust design.

underneath the bed rail pictures. If you look closely you can see the top spacers

Very nice! And if you get one of These and you can haul a gooseneck trailer if you ever need one.

I like the idea of a flat bed... but my friends and my dad who haul fivers use the bed rails. We have used their trucks for many different things... The rails have NEVER got in the way or prevented us from loading something.

Plus they are really handy tie off points.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

IMHO any type or rail left in the bed is a PITA if you use your truck to haul things on a regular basis. That was a driving force to change to the B&W Turnover Ball on my 98 RAM.