cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another tire damage thread

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Not trailer tires. My truck tires. These are BFG Rugged Terrain, 275/70-18E. Threw the tread right off one of the rears. Did not deflate, but trashed the side of my bed. Felt something wrong with the ride, and even stopped and inspected the tires, and checked the lug nuts. Could not see a thing externally to suggest a loose tread. Back on freeway and it was only a couple of miles before it let go. Only had less than 20k miles and they had just been balanced and rotated 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I was not towing at the time. Truck goes in for surgery on Monday.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver
39 REPLIES 39

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
:@ :h
What does your truck/tow vehicle shedding a tread have too do with a 5th wheel trailer ??

IMO you would get better input from the tow vehicle forum.

Most of the miles on these tires were under a fifthwheel. It is not my daily driver. These might not be the tire of choice under a fiver.

And I'm not asking for input. Just sharing an experience.

So the tires have been under the 5th wheel trailer and you moved them to the truck ??
One tire shedding a tread isn't a indicator of a tires reliability on a truck or trailer. Now if that brand tire has a history of tread shedding issues then it may not be a better choice for a trailer or a truck.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same problem with BFG Commercial T/A's but they were on my camper. One had a thrown tread like yours but it lost air. Two more had broken belts.
When I posted several others had failures of the same tire. My 245/75R16 LE on my 2006 D/A were on the recall a couple of years ago. Wondering if this is a pattern of failures with the BFG tires.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how much damage a tire blowing out can cause.

Yeah, and it has to be worse on the flimsy wheel well of a fiver.

That tire did that damage in a fraction of a second. It did not flap round and round while I was slowing down. Just a single big bang and it was gone.
2006 F250 Diesel

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how much damage a tire blowing out can cause.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
I had a set start to separate. Caught the first one before it let go. Tires =were= about 7 years old with about 40k miles on them, so no adjustment.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
What does your truck/tow vehicle shedding a tread have too do with a 5th wheel trailer ??

Not everyone is as perfect as you.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:

Most of the miles on these tires were under a fifthwheel. It is not my daily driver. These might not be the tire of choice under a fiver.

And I'm not asking for input. Just sharing an experience.
2006 F250 Diesel

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
Massive belt separation. Looks like 1 belt went with the tread, the other stayed on the tire. If you had been towing the extra weight would have caused the casing to blow, since 1 belt lost drastically reduces the carrying capacity.
Looks like it's time to get an adjustment from BFG.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow vehicles please.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman