cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Towmax victim

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to take a winter camping trip over the weekend, and had a wonderful time. Except on the way home. About 30 minutes into the trip, left rear time blew a baseball sized hole in the top sidewall. Pulled over and changed to the spare (never been on the ground), and headed back out. 45 minutes later, the left rear tire (former spare) blew again... software sized hole in the same position. Called Good Sam roadside (scary/humorous experience there as well:E)and was back on the road with 2 new tires in a few hours. Thank heavens there was no damnage to the coach. Take away is, replace those POS Towmax tires as soon as you can. BTW, anyone have experience with Sotera? Assume it's another Chinese brand, but it's all the warehouse had. Will try to post some pictures/links of the first blowout. Hole is just left of 12:00 in the first picture and 5:00 in the second.

2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES
35 REPLIES 35

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know, thanks

Tom

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
TGPILOT wrote:
rattleNsmoke wrote:
Don't discount Cooper LT tires either! They are American made and relatively inexpensive.

I bought Michelin XP Ribs today, but had looked at the Coopers. My dealer said that "Yes most of them were made in either Texarkana and Ohio, but that the LT's were made in China". That's why I went with the XP's.

You will not be sorry tomorrow or 6 or 7 years from tomorrow! I ran XPX ribs for 6.5 years and sold them for 200 bucks. Now have Bridgestone Duravis 250's. Still have a brand new XPS Rib hanging under the front of the trailer that we put there in 2005. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
rattleNsmoke wrote:
Don't discount Cooper LT tires either! They are American made and relatively inexpensive.

I bought Michelin XP Ribs today, but had looked at the Coopers. My dealer said that "Yes most of them were made in either Texarkana and Ohio, but that the LT's were made in China". That's why I went with the XP's.

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after being with out an RV for the past nine years I broke down and bought another 5R. It had ST tires on it, that probably hadn't been run 2500 miles on the RV sat since 07.

I got on here and spent the last two months reviewing RV tires. I was almost ready to put on the tow max tires, but at the last minute today, I broke down and bought the Michelin XP ribs. With a 14 ply they are rated at 3700, the same as the ST's were. The cost was out of sight at $1,600 for five, but hopefully these will be the last tires I ever have to buy for it. Just hope I have no blow outs.

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
cbconway wrote:
Dtank wrote:
cbconway wrote:
I just replaced the tires on my 3 week old fiver with a set of Goodyear Marathons, increasing the load range from C to D. No guarantees, but it evens the odds a bit and reduces my anxiety considerably. I see it as part of the purchase price.

The odds are not "even" - unfortunately, *not even* close..:(

Do a search on GY Marathons here -including the archives- (limiting to 5th wheels = 874 matches in 44 pages) or any other RV forums.

BTW - Marathons are mfg in China, and still plenty of negatives even when they were mfg in USA!
(Would have given you my USA mfg set of 5 w/about 3K miles free - but would have felt guilty.....or liable, LOL!)

"Anxiety reduction" - well sort of.
GY will *usually* pay for damage repair/s to your trailer due to tire failure.

Thank you. That was certainly inspiring.

Yes, I had GY marathons on two different travel trailers. Had one set for three years and one for four. No problems on either set. We may end up going that route, as we are considering trading the Cougar off.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance and feedback! You have all been quite helpful as always.

cbconway
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
cbconway wrote:
I just replaced the tires on my 3 week old fiver with a set of Goodyear Marathons, increasing the load range from C to D. No guarantees, but it evens the odds a bit and reduces my anxiety considerably. I see it as part of the purchase price.

Do a search on GY Marathons here -including the archives- (limiting to 5th wheels = 874 matches in 44 pages) or any other RV forums.

BTW - Marathons are mfg in China, and still plenty of negatives even when they were mfg in USA!
(Would have given you my USA mfg set of 5 w/about 3K miles free - but would have felt guilty.....or liable, LOL!)

Thank you. That was certainly inspiring.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ("When all else fails, play dead") -- Possum Lodge motto

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC SB Auto 3.42

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:
cbconway wrote:

If it's a road hazard they won't. Other than that they stand behind their product.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
cbconway wrote:

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
A 2012 bought in 2011. I'd guess those towmax tires date code 4-5 years.

The tires should have been replaced at least a year ago. It's always the tires...not the owners.

The tires aged out.

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
A 2012 bought in 2011. I'd guess those towmax tires date code 4-5 years.

You are correct. I noticed the date code on one of the tires and it was 2011. So, tires are up to 4 years old. So, blame is on me as well for not replacing until now.

Won't be going anywhere until tires are replaced.

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
If you have Chinese-made tires, get them off and replace them soon. We had some on our last camper-I think the tire brand was Lionshead or something. We were lucky and noticed first problem in a remote campsite and got it off and replaced it ourselves. A few months later a second tire had same huge knot and we were in a spot were we could not leave (working) and hard to replace them in this spot. Long story short, we got some new tires from mfg. as the camper was not that old and limped on a wing and prayer to a Camping World a couple of months later and got them put on. We were informed that these tires were not meant for long term use or long trips. WHAT THE HECK? That's what campers are for right? We shortly upgraded to another camper and made sure we had good American-made tires on it from the factory. On that trip we camped next to a couple who had same camper as our previous one (next size larger) and I saw his shredded tire in back of truck and whole side of his camper torn up. He was very distraught. Same brand/size (too small for camper size) as what we had. Why do these manufacturers put these cheap small tires on these huge campers? Very sad.

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend the use of metal valve stems when those tires are changed.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
I see I missed putting in post the tires are 2 years7 months old.....