cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Norcold experts?

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brand new Grand Design fiver with the double door Norcold. I fired it up yesterday in prep for maiden trip tomorrow. Checked it this morn and temp in reefer was 62! Freezer 45. How long should it take for this thing to cool down? In my old Fuzion the Norcold was cooling nicely in 6 hours.
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, 2024 Cougar 27SGS
12 REPLIES 12

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dometic and Norcold fridges get a bad rap because RV MFGs do NOT install them properly.
Both Fridge MFGs have 'Installation Instructions' but time after time the required clearances, airflow and dead air spaces are NOT followed and it's the **** fridges

The absorption process has been in commercial operation successfully since the 1920's
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Guess I'm lucky too. Our last TT was 14 y/o and the Dometic worked fine. Now we have a Norcold 10 cu/ft and I like the way it's designed and works even better because it doesn't need the heat strip running between compartments.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I'm lucky. Heading into our 6th season with our Norcold. Just turned it on after de-winterising yesterday. Runs fine.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Planning wrote:
freewayrandy wrote:
I have a brand new Grand Design fiver with the double door Norcold.

You have my sympathies.

My level of expertise with the Norcold double door was the expertise of knowing I did not want it. I got rid of it immediately after our first season. I wanted a solution, not an anachronism.

I wanted it cold in an hour, I wanted non-stratified cold throughout the reefer portion, I wanted ice when I wanted it, I wanted cold beer and hard ice cream. I wanted a reefer that did not need an aftermarket this or that, and one that would not catch fire while we are asleep.

The Nocold possessed none of these attributes.

I went with a residential model, it sips electricity from the inverter, it has worked perfectly and I will not go back to absorption models.

This. Norcolds are **** compared to a residential. If you need to run it on propane because you're allergic to an inverter or need to boondock all the time they are your only option but otherwise they are ****.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
freewayrandy wrote:
I have a brand new Grand Design fiver with the double door Norcold.

You have my sympathies.

My level of expertise with the Norcold double door was the expertise of knowing I did not want it. I got rid of it immediately after our first season. I wanted a solution, not an anachronism.

I wanted it cold in an hour, I wanted non-stratified cold throughout the reefer portion, I wanted ice when I wanted it, I wanted cold beer and hard ice cream. I wanted a reefer that did not need an aftermarket this or that, and one that would not catch fire while we are asleep.

The Nocold possessed none of these attributes.

I went with a residential model, it sips electricity from the inverter, it has worked perfectly and I will not go back to absorption models.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
I was comparing apples to oranges earlier. You could have put that fridge in my old rig INSIDE this one. I added a bunch of freezer packs to help. Sounds like all fans are running.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's an 18 cu ft fridge......it's going to take lot longer
Freezer section has to cool down FIRST ---below 10*F----before food compartment can even begin cooling down

Are the FANS running?
1 in freezer, 1 in food, 2 on backside up near condenser fins and the 1 mid-center???

Moving the thermistor isn't going to make it cool any faster.
Should put if back where it was in OEM position.
A fridge with adjustable temp settings are set up for thermostat/thermistor functioning as calibrated

In a fridge that uses Auto Thermostat Controls, moving a thermsitor can affect overall temps (food compartment) by 6*f--8*f
But NOT in one that has adjustable temp settings
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
freewayrandy wrote:
It's on propane set at 9, the coldest.I found a bunch of freezer packs and put them in. Now the waiting game. Thermistor was on the second fin, moved it to the 4th.

Sometimes you have to move them =vertically= on the fin.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

freewayrandy
Explorer
Explorer
It's on propane set at 9, the coldest.I found a bunch of freezer packs and put them in. Now the waiting game. Thermistor was on the second fin, moved it to the 4th.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the unit is level.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
1) Run it on propane; they tend to cool faster that way.
2) As kerrlakeRoo says, fill it with already chilled stuff. I have about 3 dozen freezer packs that I've acquired over the years, and fill my fridge with them when I first fire it up. Frozen milk jugs are good, too. I also use a small, battery-powered circulation fan that makes a noticeable difference. Also, you might have to move the thermistor on the cooling fins to get it to cool more.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
They can be slow, especially the bigger units. It can help if you fill the unit with some items that are already chilled.