cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Problems with your 6.7L diesel on Ford F350 ?????

bobandvicki
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2004 Ford F350 6.0L that has been a nightmare. Getting ready to get a 2015 F350 then saw that the 6.7 has had a lot of troubles. After my 6.0L troubles should I be leary. Want to hear from those with 2012-2015 F250/350s if you have had any problems. Thank you. Bob

Thank you for all your input. Got a better deal on a 2015 3500 Ram than I could make on the F350 so that's what I did. Glad to see how many were so pleased with their Fords. Not enough space here to list all the problems I had with my 6.0
2015 3500 RAM Diesel Longbed 4x4 Dually

2015 39ft Heartland Big Country 3650 5th Wheel
92 REPLIES 92

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
re-railed...

2015 F350 4x4 w/6.7 here with only 5,000 miles on it but luvin' it and no problems so far. Pulls and handles our 20,000 lb 5er like a dream.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, this discussion has gone off the tracks as usual. Too bad as it started out with good info.

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
UMMMMMMM..... I thought we were talking about the 6.7 DIESEL:h
chiefward wrote:
I have a Superduty, 2003 F250, 6.8L gasser with 205,000+. Had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Not the greatest pulling machine for my 10,000 lb. trailer but does ok for me.
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Superduty, 2003 F250, 6.8L gasser with 205,000+. Had no mechanical problems whatsoever. Not the greatest pulling machine for my 10,000 lb. trailer but does ok for me.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
Wonder what is more likely to happen?

A Ford fuel pump failure or the front end failing on a Ram.:h

I dont have a tack welded front end or a diesel fuel pump :B
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder what is more likely to happen?

A Ford fuel pump failure or the front end failing on a Ram.:h
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
My '12 Super Duty with 82k miles has been flawless. On second set of tires and third set of wind shield wipers.

IMO this is the best truck on the market today. And the best is "Made in the USA".

Where does the MEXICAN MADE PowerStroke fall into the "Made in USA" part?

Yes my truck is "assembled" in Mexico with MOSTLY US Made parts including the CUMMINS engine.

Just like to have truth in advertising here. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
The probability of HPFP failure is low (according the www rumor mill) but it is a concern that may have swayed my decision to purchase a Ford had I been aware of the issue and more importantly Ford's stance on the repair. Prior to my first "break down" I had no concern.

First limp home, Dealer #1: "we need to test the fuel" as soon as they pulled codes and found the low fuel pressure code.. This is when I learned of the HPFP warranty denial mess. I couldn't figure out why they wanted to test the fuel.

Second limp home, Dealer #2: "you have contaminated fuel, there's gasoline in your tank. Your repairs will be roughly $12k and Ford will not cover it under warranty" truck was towed to Dealer #1 where they rebuffed the "gas in fuel tank phooey" and said "we can't find an issue to repair and we didn't find anything but diesel in your tank".

Third limp home, Dealer #1: failure of the LPFP repaired under warranty. No questions asked as I would expect.

I hope this is history and I never have another issue with my fuel system. The stress of this experience was ridiculous. My next truck will not be a Ford if the HPFP issue persists. If they fix the issue and step up to the plate to take care of their customers I will absolutely buy another Ford (if it pulls and drives as well as this one and I don't get burned by this one). It really is a shame they are playing this game because it's a great truck.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
the 6.7 has proven to be extremely reliable up to date, problem is people post about issues, not great reliability. The 1% having troubles can be very vocal. Mines got 70k km's and has been trouble free to date.

Very true, and when the cost is 10,500-12,000 to fix a failed CP4.2 injection pump and the manufacturer refusing to cover it under your warranty, it tends to make the head lines.

As stated earlier both GM and VW fix these pump issues without blaming the consumer. Ford highly deserved black eye is for not standing behind there product. We just purchased a new truck with a CP3 injection pump, if we had purchased a truck with a CP4.2 pump it would have been a GM based on these warranty coverage issues.

I would bet that most people that have had a GM CP4.2 pump failure and not even aware that that was the issue. As GM just fixes it and gives in back to the owner "all fixed and ready to go" enjoy!

Given the 6.0 and 6.4 track record, this has not been very smart on Ford's part. Or the failure numbers are higher than we know and it would effect their bottom line more by masking over the problem than p!$$!ng off a small group of customers. Chris

I diesel tech recently reported at FTE that all but 1 HPFP that he replaced had either gas or DEF fluid in the tank and some people expect this should be covered under warranty? Also he stated he replaced one HPFP with no signs of rust on the HPFP or DEF crystals and it was covered under warranty.

GM will now look for any signs of fuel contamination and no they will not just blindly replace a HPFP without inspecting and getting approval from GM warranty.

My cousin has replaced several Ram/cummins CP3 fuel pumps last year due to gas contamination and one that had galvanized steel flakes in the filter in which Chrysler voided the warranty on both accounts. As a matter of fact he doesn't even want to be around the customer when they are notified of the warranty denial and they want to see why it failed.

LOL, another good line of stories, Fish :R

I have read of several CP4 failures in the 6.7L Ford where there was no contamination present (Ricatic`s was one of them if you choose to remember). In the cases where there supposedly was rust contamination present, owners were quite stumped because the water in fuel light never illuminated and they had NO water in the fuel water separator, just like myself on all 3 of my diesel trucks. As a matter of fact the owner of Dieselsite had it happen to his 6.7L Ford and actually developed an aftermarket filtration system in the hopes of preventing it from happening again and to other owners. In these cases the owners felt that the failures should have been covered by warranty and I totally agree with them. There have been several knowledgeable people on these pumps post on various Ford and VW sites that have indicated they are a very fragile design with inadequate lubrication that have relatively high failure rates. It wouldn`t even be so bad if it was only the pump that failed but because the failure trashes the entire fuel system it is catastrophic. I think there will be trucks written off in the future due to this issue because the cost of the repair will exceed the value of the vehicle.

Not to say that a CP3 failure is impossible but they are not nearly as common as you have tried to make out. And if the cases you refer to were in fact contaminated by gas well then that is indeed operator error that I would not expect to be covered by warranty.

Did you see the crud that was in Bob's fuel pump? There was litterly gel goo in that pump and not even his aftermarket filters would prevent that nor would a CP3 survive such a mess. There's more to the story than what's being reported.

Again I'm not making the CP3 to be a bad pump but just passing along information. Some of the customers on the accidently pumped gas into their tank and continued to drive the truck until it litterly left them stranded played dumb about their fueling error and argued that they did no wrong.

Operator plays a big role in some of these failures and a lot don't know if or report it.

The CP4 Ford speced pump has been designed with the ULSD fuel we're currently running. I can assure you there's been no experts discussing the topic of HPFP design on any forum and I have no concern with my fuel system for the life of my truck.

Sorry to break the news but the sky is not falling. You can spill all your internet stories, but I really don't care.

BTW... My cousin started as a Ford diesel tech back in '93 and now that the Ford 6.7 PSD has come into the picture he has now been transferred to the Chrysler/Ram/Jeep shop and has been wrenching on cummins for about 3 years now. There are actually less techs working on the diesel Fords than the Ram for the last year now. I'll see him at Christmas again and will more information.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
the 6.7 has proven to be extremely reliable up to date, problem is people post about issues, not great reliability. The 1% having troubles can be very vocal. Mines got 70k km's and has been trouble free to date.

Very true, and when the cost is 10,500-12,000 to fix a failed CP4.2 injection pump and the manufacturer refusing to cover it under your warranty, it tends to make the head lines.

As stated earlier both GM and VW fix these pump issues without blaming the consumer. Ford highly deserved black eye is for not standing behind there product. We just purchased a new truck with a CP3 injection pump, if we had purchased a truck with a CP4.2 pump it would have been a GM based on these warranty coverage issues.

I would bet that most people that have had a GM CP4.2 pump failure and not even aware that that was the issue. As GM just fixes it and gives in back to the owner "all fixed and ready to go" enjoy!

Given the 6.0 and 6.4 track record, this has not been very smart on Ford's part. Or the failure numbers are higher than we know and it would effect their bottom line more by masking over the problem than p!$$!ng off a small group of customers. Chris

I diesel tech recently reported at FTE that all but 1 HPFP that he replaced had either gas or DEF fluid in the tank and some people expect this should be covered under warranty? Also he stated he replaced one HPFP with no signs of rust on the HPFP or DEF crystals and it was covered under warranty.

GM will now look for any signs of fuel contamination and no they will not just blindly replace a HPFP without inspecting and getting approval from GM warranty.

My cousin has replaced several Ram/cummins CP3 fuel pumps last year due to gas contamination and one that had galvanized steel flakes in the filter in which Chrysler voided the warranty on both accounts. As a matter of fact he doesn't even want to be around the customer when they are notified of the warranty denial and they want to see why it failed.

LOL, another good line of stories, Fish :R

I have read of several CP4 failures in the 6.7L Ford where there was no contamination present (Ricatic`s was one of them if you choose to remember). In the cases where there supposedly was rust contamination present, owners were quite stumped because the water in fuel light never illuminated and they had NO water in the fuel water separator, just like myself on all 3 of my diesel trucks. As a matter of fact the owner of Dieselsite had it happen to his 6.7L Ford and actually developed an aftermarket filtration system in the hopes of preventing it from happening again and to other owners. In these cases the owners felt that the failures should have been covered by warranty and I totally agree with them. There have been several knowledgeable people on these pumps post on various Ford and VW sites that have indicated they are a very fragile design with inadequate lubrication that have relatively high failure rates. It wouldn`t even be so bad if it was only the pump that failed but because the failure trashes the entire fuel system it is catastrophic. I think there will be trucks written off in the future due to this issue because the cost of the repair will exceed the value of the vehicle.

Not to say that a CP3 failure is impossible but they are not nearly as common as you have tried to make out. And if the cases you refer to were in fact contaminated by gas well then that is indeed operator error that I would not expect to be covered by warranty.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
My '12 Super Duty with 82k miles has been flawless. On second set of tires and third set of wind shield wipers.

IMO this is the best truck on the market today. And the best is "Made in the USA".

justme
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 F350 has 70k miles with 30k pulling a 16K GVW 5th wheel. No problems what so ever. I consider it a well engineered vehicle. It has all the power I need and pulls very well in the mountains. The trailer suspension is my major worry because the mfg provide a marginal suspension with 7k axles that are not aligned very well.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger8r wrote:
Have a 2012 f350 6.7L couple sensors went out but otherwise no problems, better yet a good service rep. About time for me and the wife to cook him a batch of cookies for Christmas.

Gee I don't know.. That could be called bribery ya know!!
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Tiger8r
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2012 f350 6.7L couple sensors went out but otherwise no problems, better yet a good service rep. About time for me and the wife to cook him a batch of cookies for Christmas.