cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone mount a geny to the hitch?

outnabout
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of putting a generator on a "tray" using the hitch on the back of thr 5er. Any thoughts?
Craig & Arline
Montana 5er 3402 RL
2006 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
"On the Road Again..."
20 REPLIES 20

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I carry mine in the bed of the pickup, next to the cab. Nice spot, out of the way, yet convienent. Use a Truxport to cover it.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
danicaB wrote:
That sounds good but you must consider the size. How big is it?

The genny is Champiion 3500/4000 and the cooler with ice and drinks at least 60 pounds

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

danicaB
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds good but you must consider the size. How big is it?

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, if done with right welder,or fab shop this is a simple and reliable project that will last for years. I do all my welding and repairs in excavating business and this project is just common sense. Bolt and weld and done. The ones that broke were not done correct.

Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
RedJeep wrote:
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I had my my generator on a hitch mount on the back of my 5th wheel and coming thru Louisana on I-10 the wash board road just ripped it loose from the frame of the camper. It was just like a jack hammer beating on the back of the camper......It was dragging on the road by the time I got stopped. It was a good idea gone bad. I knew west la roads were bad but after driving at 58mph long enough they did their toll....

Happened to me also. This was in Texas on a pretty nice interstate. Ripped the welds on the bumper and left the bumper rack dragging on the ground.

Interesting, I remember how they bragged they both welded and bolted my hitch on. I guess I am glad they did as I have had no problems.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I had my my generator on a hitch mount on the back of my 5th wheel and coming thru Louisana on I-10 the wash board road just ripped it loose from the frame of the camper. It was just like a jack hammer beating on the back of the camper......It was dragging on the road by the time I got stopped. It was a good idea gone bad. I knew west la roads were bad but after driving at 58mph long enough they did their toll....

Happened to me also. This was in Texas on a pretty nice interstate. Ripped the welds on the bumper and left the bumper rack dragging on the ground.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Lion wrote:
We carry a 2,000 watt generator in our front compartment. When we need it, we just take it out and lock it to the power panel on the camp site.

If there's a power panel, why would you need a genny? :@
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a 2,000 watt generator in our front compartment. When we need it, we just take it out and lock it to the power panel on the camp site.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
There is no doubt in my mind that if the hitch is properly designed, you won't have structural issues.

But it may not be very good for the generator itself. Especially if it is a carbureted model, which most portables are.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
But when done right, it works and does last for years

Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everybody seems to think that the rear bumper is a good place to carry things.

NOT!

That point is subject to the highest shock and vibration loads of any place on your combination. Every motion at the pin is multiplied by the see-saw action of the frame length behind the wheels and amplified by the bounce in the tires/suspension.

Sure, people will tell you haw they have "done it for years". That doesn't make it a good idea.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have a frame mounted receiver hitch and this cargo rack with my honda eu3000. I have had this setup for about 9 years and zero problems in 10 of thousands of miles. I also have a receiver hitch on the front my pickup so I can haul it up front when using the truck camper.

NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Sure
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C