cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are your slides independently actuated?

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking to a salesman about an Open Range "The Light" and he mentioned that the two opposing slides were independently actuated. He insinuated that other brands had slides that operated only simultaneously. He also mentioned that the slides on that particular RV could be opened out to any degree you wanted, that is to say a little or all the way or anywhere in between. That statement made me wonder if that feature was unique to most brands or common in most brands. Thoughts on this?
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
36 REPLIES 36

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
My (single) slide on the Wilderness is actuated independently from everything else 🙂
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Pine5008
Explorer
Explorer
My main and kitchen slide are operated on the same switch. With them on opposite sides of the trailer, you have to pay attention.
Although, the smaller kitchen slide moves in/out first, giving you a chance to watch for obstacles. Would be nice to have separate switch.
Pine
2006 F350 SRW Crew Cab, 6.0
2014 Keystone Fuzion 390

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forgot to add. Ours has the bedroom switch near the bedroom door and the living room and kitchen switchs near those rooms. Easier to see operation of the slides and not have to guess or go see if. They are OK.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
OR does use a cable slide system. Its main advantage is not that slides can be operated individually, but the cable system does not require a driveshaft for the slides. The main beam of the RV does not have a large hole drilled in it to accommodate the slide mechanism. A smaller lighter main beam can be used resulting in substantial weight savings.Open Range RV's are 1500-2000 lbs. lighter than a comparable model.

For the record the salesman was not totally blowing smoke. There are hydraulic slide systems that all slides move at once. The slides can be operated independently by using bypass valves switches etc. but typically the slides all move together
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Open Range uses cable slides with independent electric motors at each slide.

It is the cheapest slide mechanism made, and is used mostly on light weight trailers such as Passport,new Outbacks and Sprinters, Montana bedroom slides, etc.

Make sure you maintain and adjust them over time, as the cables will stretch and rust.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well if salesman said some brands have slide outs that are controlled by one switch and some brands have slide outs that are independent he wasn't BSng.

As you see from the different posts..some do/some don't

As for the slides can be used when partially extended/retracted.......hmmmmmmmm???
Think I'll have to call BS on that one. Slide out can only completely seal when fully extended/retracted.
Now they can be moved partially open but I wouldn't call that being able to 'use' them.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
like one said above the salesman is BS'ing you about products he doesn't sell. tries to get you to go with his TT's. Had one do it to me. I stopped him short before he could not tell me more. I told him I did my own research and didn't need his in put. I walked I don't like salesman who talk that way. My slides come out one at a time. bedroom first then living room. I'm fine with that set up.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
I am wondering, why would you want to use the slide in the partially open position? We've had slide out units since the early 90's and have never found the need to do that. Just curious.

Perhaps a limited space situation or if you want a slide opened just enough to access part of the kitchen to make lunch on the road.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrumpyandGrandma wrote:
I am wondering, why would you want to use the slide in the partially open position? We've had slide out units since the early 90's and have never found the need to do that. Just curious.

Done it lots of time to get into the bedroom closet as the bed slide clear into the dresser.
Out HH has independent slides. Our prior Big Horns had valves you could open and shut out by the pump other wise they all acted together. I didn't mind that too much but they weren't wife friendly.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Impkitti
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Northwoods Arctic Fox 29-5e with 2 slides. They operate independently.

During a big storm, due to the wind, we have slept with the bedroom slide in. We were afraid the auto awning would tear, plus the noise from the flapping was pretty loud.

We frequently have lunch on the road with the main room slide in. There is just enough room to walk on the floor, if the dogs are not milling about.
Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have been doing some research on our next rig and Open Range makes a true 4 season RV that uses a cable driven system in their slide-outs. According to their website their slide-outs can be used at any stage whether partially or fully extended. Their Journeyer model is on our short list as we are looking to use our next rig throughout the year.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Keystone Alpine (Montana kin).. the slides (3 of 4) are operated by a single switch controlling the hydraulic pump.

there are manual valves I can use to turn off the fluid to selected slides so that only the one(s) I want will move.
2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ours are individual with separate switches...and I like the versatility.
I would not want to be forced to open all my slides if I just wanted to open one or the other for a particular purpose.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends have a Montana and their slides all move one right after the other using the same switch. Our HitchHiker has individual switches for each slide.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK