cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto slider Question

BlackSS
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, new guy here. Have a question regarding hitch for my new F250 crew cab short bed.
I am looking for an auto slider that is relatively light weight (for removal) and will not put me in a situation where I am the only one that can pull the trailer (like pull rite).

Truck will be used for much more than towing, I do not intend to leave the 5th wheel in the bed, and wife and 2 daughters will not be too helpful trying to lug 300 lbs of iron out of the bed.
18 REPLIES 18

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
Sorry, probly took it wrong. I am used to all the attacks here from the know it alls.

It's all good. Sometimes it is hard to convey meaning or intent when writing. BTW I agree, this place can get very adversarial and judgmental at times. It keeps me from participating in a lot of threads because I fall into the trap LOL 🙂

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, probly took it wrong. I am used to all the attacks here from the know it alls.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
BeerCan wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I don't see the big deal with the Pullrite. Mine weighs less than 200# and I can remove 1 set screw and anyone can pull my 5er. I also use a engine hoist to remove hitch. Too dang old to lift heavy stuff now.

Really? According to the manufacturer it weighs 345 lbs plus 50 to 80 lbs for the rails. Did you modify yours?
Pullright Manual

I think the op is looking for lighter weight options. I use the Demco Hijacker and like the Pullright it weighs over 300lbs. I like the way it works but I had to get an engine lift to put it in the truck. Look for used engine lifts for cheap on craigslist.
.Yes Really!! before you correct me you should look at the correct hitch, Pullrite model 2700. I know what I have. Do you?

Alright Skippy calm down. Did you see the question marks? That is why I asked if it was modified. No one knew which one you had but you, perhaps if you were more clear on what model you were using there would not have been an issue.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
BeerCan wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I don't see the big deal with the Pullrite. Mine weighs less than 200# and I can remove 1 set screw and anyone can pull my 5er. I also use a engine hoist to remove hitch. Too dang old to lift heavy stuff now.

Really? According to the manufacturer it weighs 345 lbs plus 50 to 80 lbs for the rails. Did you modify yours?
Pullright Manual

I think the op is looking for lighter weight options. I use the Demco Hijacker and like the Pullright it weighs over 300lbs. I like the way it works but I had to get an engine lift to put it in the truck. Look for used engine lifts for cheap on craigslist.
.Yes Really!! before you correct me you should look at the correct hitch, Pullrite model 2700. I know what I have. Do you?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
You have a lot to learn. The PullRite can be removed by one person. I do it when needed. And I am 68 years old. Tip it up and 'walk it' to the back of the truck. Drop it onto a table that I made to the same height as the tailgate. Then roll it into the garage. Five minutes and no help needed.

The quick connect capture plate can be removed with one bolt and your trailer can be towed by any fifth wheel hitch. The universal rails can be completely removed from the truck bed.

The Hijacker is pretty much the same. But customer service may be somewhat different.

The Sidewinder will work too. but chances are, you need a new replacement for the next trailer you buy.

If you want an auto slider, these are you only options. Otherwise go for a manual sliding hitch and deal with the issues with that choice. Or don't buy a sliding hitch and believe what the trailer manufacturers claim. You can turn 88 degrees with no problem. Just remember when it blows out your window, it is no problem for them. But your mileage may vary.

Ditto to what he said.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
BlackSS wrote:

.........and will not put me in a situation where I am the only one that can pull the trailer (like pull rite).

Pullrite conversion adapter #3336 will allow your trailer to be pulled by a NON-SuperGlide hitch.
(The head of your hitch does have to be used on the adapter)

Pullrite Conversion Adapter #3336

However, it will set you back about (another) $175..;)

~
The new capture plates are held on with one setscrew. No need for an adapter. Takes two minutes to remove it, then it can be pulled by any standard hitch...The days of the old weld on and bolt on plate with 6-8 bolts are long gone...

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
BlackSS wrote:

.........and will not put me in a situation where I am the only one that can pull the trailer (like pull rite).

Pullrite conversion adapter #3336 will allow your trailer to be pulled by a NON-SuperGlide hitch.
(The head of your hitch does have to be used on the adapter)

Pullrite Conversion Adapter #3336

However, it will set you back about (another) $175..;)

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
BlackSS wrote:
I though the pull rite was ~350 lbs, and had no idea was that easy to remove capture plate.

What kind of hoist for $50?

Grand total of all PR SG parts (hitch, head, rails) is probably about 300-350 lbs. Sounds like what was indicated on my shipping boxes.

Hitch & head (alone)... about 250#

How to lift that easily?.:@

Best = One finger lift, LOL!
HF (110V) electric hoist with remote.
About the size of a lunch box, weighs about 35 pounds.
Cost - 440 lb capacity = $100. - 880lb capacity = $125.
Hang it from a garage rafter -or- a 4x6 supported by two stationary objects. Back under, push button, lift hitch. Drive out - lower hitch onto a furniture dolly roll it "wherever". About 5-10 minutes.

Next best = "Cherry Picker" type engine hoist - about $150.
Roll hoist legs under bed of p/up, lift hitch, roll hoist out, then to the furniture dolly.

Other choices:
Crane hoist.
Chain hoist (the $50 system).
And - probably some others I've missed

Any of 'em can be handy to have around for other chores..:B

~

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
BlackSS wrote:
Found out today after talking to a dealer that pull rite has 2 models, the one with rails in the bed is significantly cheaper and lighter. Was quoted 1500 installed (+ capture plate) and was told less than 200 lbs.
I bought mine online. It's the 15,000# version they now make a 18,000# model. It's the one that uses standard rails. About $800.00 if you shop online. But you will still need to get rails and a mounting kit and have it installed. I like mine but it is a little heavy to wrestle with.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

BlackSS
Explorer
Explorer
Found out today after talking to a dealer that pull rite has 2 models, the one with rails in the bed is significantly cheaper and lighter. Was quoted 1500 installed (+ capture plate) and was told less than 200 lbs.

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
You have a lot to learn. The PullRite can be removed by one person. I do it when needed. And I am 68 years old. Tip it up and 'walk it' to the back of the truck. Drop it onto a table that I made to the same height as the tailgate. Then roll it into the garage. Five minutes and no help needed.

The quick connect capture plate can be removed with one bolt and your trailer can be towed by any fifth wheel hitch. The universal rails can be completely removed from the truck bed.

The Hijacker is pretty much the same. But customer service may be somewhat different.

The Sidewinder will work too. but chances are, you need a new replacement for the next trailer you buy.

If you want an auto slider, these are you only options. Otherwise go for a manual sliding hitch and deal with the issues with that choice. Or don't buy a sliding hitch and believe what the trailer manufacturers claim. You can turn 88 degrees with no problem. Just remember when it blows out your window, it is no problem for them. But your mileage may vary.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

BlackSS
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like there are some overhead manual chain hoists that could be hung from fueling joist(s) for about $50. I guess if I rigged something to spread the load over a couple of joists that coulda work and be pretty cheap.

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:

Pullright Manual

BlackSS
Explorer
Explorer
I though the pull rite was ~350 lbs, and had no idea was that easy to remove capture plate.

What kind of hoist for $50?