cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Awning Replacement

qbert10
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 2009 Jayco that needs to have the awning replaced. I guess from sitting in the sun over the past several years the area closest to the trailer itself has dried out and when I started cleaning it, the material tore. It's still usable after a quick fix with a rubber roof patch. (Just something to keep the water from running through) However, it will need to be fixed. Just need a ball park idea as to cost. Would even try it myself if it is a DYI project.

On top of this, can one of them awning cover be added relatively easily? Think if it was cover from the sun it might last a little longer.

Anyway, that in advance for any info you can provide.
Self and Spouse
2 children
2 dogs: Mya, Lab/ Catahoula Mix, Roxi, ACD, Bully Mix.
2014 Dodge 3500 CCLB DRW 6.7 CTD, Aisin Automatic, 4x4, Max Steel Metallic , Soon to have a B&W 3600.
2009 Jayco 31.5FBHS
17 REPLIES 17

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
"On top of this, can one of them awning cover be added relatively easily? Think if it was cover from the sun it might last a little longer."

I remember a write-up with pictures of how a guy made a cover for the awning
for use during the off season. You might be able to find it with a search. The mod/project used a couple of lengths of 4" (?) PVC pipe split in half lengthwise. Seems like it would do the job, though I'm thinking that he would leave it at home while traveling.

Having my 16' awning fabric replaced cost me close to $600 a couple of years ago ago.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
There are several quality levels in awning fabric you can buy cheap and cheap is what you will get .Look at the manufacturers tag on the OEM awning then call them with the part number and get a idea of what it will cost.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

AZDesertRat
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my 14' awning this weekend. With two people it took about 1.5 hours start to finish and cost me $137 shipped from Top Shade on ebay.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost
2006 Ragen FS2500 Toy Hauler
2006 Arctic Cat Prowler

jody_h
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine by myself it took about a hour. Not as hard as you think.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Megacab
2004 Flagstaff 8524RK

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
qbert10 wrote:
That sounds like it might be worth doing myself. Should be better since it is an electric open and close, so no springs to be concerned with.

Thanks for the information!!!!

Not so quick...I think you will find that the roller is still preloaded...I replaced mine two years ago...again...youtube can be your friend but info on the powered awnings is less prevalent.

Preventing a spring disaster is fairly simple...read the directions....they will tell you all about the long cotter pin that comes with the fabric. Place the cotter pin through as shown...open only enough so it does not slip out and you will be fine...just remember to remove the cotter pin after installing the awning but before trying to roll it in...

You can do it!!!

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

qbert10
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like it might be worth doing myself. Should be better since it is an electric open and close, so no springs to be concerned with.

Thanks for the information!!!!
Self and Spouse
2 children
2 dogs: Mya, Lab/ Catahoula Mix, Roxi, ACD, Bully Mix.
2014 Dodge 3500 CCLB DRW 6.7 CTD, Aisin Automatic, 4x4, Max Steel Metallic , Soon to have a B&W 3600.
2009 Jayco 31.5FBHS

My BIL needed new awning fabric on his 2000 Prowler, we watched a YouTube video on the subject a couple of times , purchased the fabric and did it ourselves...

Like stated , 2 person job , be careful with the springs ( very simple ) and keep an iPad close by to re watch the video if your stuck...

If your the least bit handy , you will be able to do it..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Llibnmap
Explorer
Explorer
My 06 Sunseeker MH is in the shop now having the fabric on my 14 foot awning replaced. Installed price is $595. The summer sun and below 0 temps did it in

Bill

colochoclab
Explorer
Explorer
The awning on my 2006 Jayco is also needing repair. I have talked to a dealer for Carefree Of Colorado (The OEM awning maker) and they said the awning number is on a tag on the roller. Fabric can be ordered easily from this number and the protective cover can be added (I'm told!).
As soon as I find out the price, I'll post it here!
2008 Nissan Titan LE Crew 4x4
'06 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS
'11 Bayliner 180ob
'99 Seadoo GTS
Member titantalk, seadooforum, benzworld.org

My Chocolate Labs "Snickers", "Reese" and "Hershey"(Passed)

"I asked God for a true friend: He sent me a Labrador Retriever."

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^Oh, do I know that feeling...:(
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
My problem is that many of my DIY projects turn into DBSE (done by somebody else) projects, and usually cost me more than if I'd just had them do it from the get-go. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

southernkilowat
Explorer
Explorer
And you may want to check out JC Whitney on awning fabrics, got mine for about half what CW wanted.

TT_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced one on my sisters RV. Two people and two ladders. Like stated, check out the videos.

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
The spring danger is over rated. You can do it by following instructions and watching one of the many you tube videos.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired