cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup camera and hiding the wiring..

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Tomorrow I plan on installing my Garmin BC-20 backup camera. I want to mount the camera high and centered on the rear of my fifth wheel. So my question is this..... Is there typically any space between the back of the exterior wall and the interior walls that I can use to drop the wires/cables through or is it solid? Any thoughts on the best way to hide the wiring?
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2
8 REPLIES 8

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I just drilled a 3/8" hole through where I wanted to mount the camera, and ran the wire inside. From there, the sidewalls come down to the roof with a cover. I removed that cover, and could run the wire forward to my screen.

I also installed a couple of 12 volt cigarette lighter receptacles at the same time.

In your case, you probably need to run the wire forward to a point where you need to go into a closet, then down into the basement storage. Then to the front of the trailer, then to the truck itself.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the "flat back" on yours, its full of styrofoam and you won't get a wire down it. If you have a molded fiberglass cap in the back, you should have plenty of room to fish down - most of it is hollow with a bat type insulation in there. I just fished up to my marker light for a camera install.

Hope you like your Garmin better than I did. I just returned it last week. For me, I couldn't tell if it was a car or a house behind me. The wide angle was so wide, everything was distorted. I went for a larger camera system and still need to install it.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a solid answer for you but another poster was talking about running wires through the AC duct in the ceiling. I don't remember what it was for but he felt he could run it to a cabinet in the rear and reach the duct work and cut a hole in it and the pull the cable out and seal the hole in the duct. It may have been for a rear TV.

Good Lock and post how it went.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
Water-Bug wrote:
You won't get an answer about the construction of your 5er's walls, unless you tell us what manufacturer and model it is.

2012 Komfort 3530 with Fiberglass outer walls. See my signature for more. I would think that most all modern trailers would be manufactured pretty similar but maybe not..... Thanks for the reply.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
You won't get an answer about the construction of your 5er's walls, unless you tell us what manufacturer and model it is.

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you are going to find the space you are looking for in between the wall. I had a cabinet installed on the inside of where I was installing the camera. I ran the cables through the wall, into the cabinet, along the top rear edge of the cabinet, out the bottom of the cabinet, along the corner of the wall, through the bottom cabinet, then out the bottom of the trailer. I built and stained a trim piece to hide the cables down the corner. I went with a completely wired system, as I already had to run power through the wall, what was another cable and I already installed an aftermarket camera on my truck so the cabling was already to the rear of the truck.
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
TomHaycraft wrote:
I don't have answer to your question ... but having installed one of those last month, I'm curious how far forward are you planning on mounting the transmitter? !

Hi Tom. I also ordered the 50' extension cable when I ordered the cable. I plan to mount the transmitter up by my pinbox. That had better be close enough. I am just hoping I can mount the camera up where I want it. I guess worse case I can mount it up on the ladder and neatly run the wires through the ladder...
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have answer to your question ... but having installed one of those last month, I'm curious how far forward are you planning on mounting the transmitter?

I thought I was going to be able to get away with mounting the transmitter in the back, quick simple installation. Only a 28' 5er, thought I'd be well inside the range. Test image after tapping into power and hanging the camera inside looked promising. I drilled through the back, got it mounted, calked and felt good about my work. All wiring is enclosed in the cabinet above the rear window.

I haven't called Garmin yet, I'm assuming I'm a bit too far. While on the road, my display randomly switches between the navigation screen and the remote camera. I'm thinking reception is being lost and re-established. Picture (when on!) is acceptable to have confidence I'm clear to make a lane change. Real nice for backing into sites or storage without a spotter.

Garmin BC20 Mount

Keep us posted on how it goes!
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS