cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery hydrometer testing questions...

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I recently got turned on to hydrometer testing as a more accurate way to tell what your batteries have left. I'm wondering how people store their hydrometers? I have already burned a hole in one pair of pants by not being careful enough, and I'm currently storing the hydrometer in a Tupperware container that seems to be able to hold up.

Also, I'm wondering if repeated opening and testing will harm the batteries chemistry... the little drops that don't make it back into the battery adding up over time for example...

I was thinking about making a pvc tube holder and mounting it in the battery compartment.
7 REPLIES 7

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
We rinse ours with distilled water, before and after use. Only check about twice a year. Also use it to fill the cells with distilled water.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Mine stays at home. Only used to confirm a suspected issue.

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
Have a cup of fresh water handy, and after testing the cells, flush the hydrometer two or three times with the fresh water. I've been using the same hydrometer for over 30 years when I left the automotive trade.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I rinse mine with distilled water. I don't use it often.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

Diesel_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
What do you rinse it with?

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Buy a pack of cheap aprons and use those when messing with dirty things and acid. Remember your shop teacher always wore an apron of some sort as did my chemistry teacher.

Eye protection for sure. Just rinse the tops of the batteries off after you are done testing. Do rinse the hydrometer well or the hose will rot quickly.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, battery acid is similar to anti sieze compound. It will end up on my clothing no matter how careful I am. Difference is that battery acid is very dangerous for the eyes. Its best to wear goggles and have a source of eye flush water. They make eye flush kit/dispensers.

My battery compartment has a gap that is large enough to let the hydrometer store in there. Its best to rinse it out after each use. At times there is no substitute for knowing the SG but I wouldn't check it often. As I use my system I get an idea of how the batteries are performing and do a top charge/equalize.