Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed tonneau covers

MrD
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I would like to find a hard cover that would fit over my hitch, what do you use and how do you like them, do they keep your bed dry?

Thanks
Mike
Mike and Char
2008 Chev 3500HD D/A Ext cab LB D/A 4x4 dually
B&W companion hitch
2013 Arctic Fox 295K ๐Ÿ™‚
60 REPLIES 60

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
I eventually sold the hard cover that came with my truck and purchased an Access Lorado rollup cover. I wanted a lightweight cover with full access to the entire bed without removing (too old to mess with that, these days). Have had it a year and used it extensively while towing. Don't think I would own anything else, especiallty for the $ invested.
2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

DRS1949
Explorer
Explorer
TonnoPro trifold...Cheap,and lite take it off in 3min, but I don't have to while towing..
2012 F250 Lariat CC FX4 6.2 Boss
2013 Cougar High Country 299RKS
Reese Elite 18K/non slide
Firestone RideRite airbags

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite has always been the metal roll top type of covers. With my current truck I thought I would try a Paragon cover. The pros great design idea and function. Cons does let in some water and the finish does not last long on the top if you drive with it open lots.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

RanchDweller
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RollBak G2 rolling cover on my long bed dually. I wanted it for the security. It is an aluminum rolling cover. It fits right over my B&W companion. I use it all summer. We use it in the winter to go skiing. When we stop for dinner, the skiis and gear stay secure in the bed. I have had the best customer support with this top. 2-1/2 years later they sent me a large replacement part for free. Drop shipped it to my house. I can highly recommend them.
2011 Fuzion 360
2009 GMC 3500 CC Dually

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Retrax tonneauClickand i'm thrilled with it!! I have my stock locking tailgate so with the Retrax locked i now have secure stowage in the bed of my truck and as a full-timer believe you me thats important! When i'm hooked to my fiver it locks in front of the hitch again giving me secure storage forward but mostly the guy's at Retrax are outta' sight when it comes to customer service AFTER-THE-SALE,last summer the end panel on my tonneau seperated from the rolling cover and without question they offered to replace it free if i paid the shipping,,,after five years,,thats a company that stands behind their product!!!

Red Green:
As you get older, you realize you can't always get what you want,
but if you try sometimes, you can get yet another financial setback.
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
webslave wrote:
grampscamper wrote:

I have the Truxedo LoPro QT. I know it's not a hard cover but works very well. Roll forward when towing, roll back when not. I have a short box so a trifold hard cover would not work for me. 5th pin box would likely contact cover. The Truxedo is very easy to remove if necessary.

Not quite sure why a trifold wouldn't fit your short bed...I have a short bed (6'6") RAM 2500 and the Bakflip G2 fits perfectly and clears my B&W Companion with room to spare...maybe you didn't look at them? I prefer the hard covers to the soft for security (I have a locking tailgate) and the ability to stand on them. Very handy for cleaning the nose cap without having to get out the ladder. Folding up aginst the cab allows the full length of the box to be used. I've never encountered a time that I've needed to remove it, however, two twist knobs and it disconnects from the rails.

The hard covers have come a long ways in their development over the last few years. I liked the the roll up hard cover, but, the tank that receives the cover is always hanging down in the bed, shortening my already short bed truck. If you carry a tool box or a fuel tank under the tank, I suppose it becomes less of an issue...I do like the way some will lock at any position, but, I wanted the full length of my already short bed free and the tri-fold folds up and lays flat so that the hitch is showing, but, the front of the bed (from the hitch forward) is covered. I carry two 5 gallon cans of diesel (just in case) up under there.

I had a trifold soft cover. I installed a Morryde pin box on my 5th wheel. My stock pin box wouldn't hit but the Morryde did. My trifold soft cover would not stay in place when folded forward, especially in strong winds. It may be because of the wind turbulence created by the 5th wheel nose.
I had to either remove the cover completely or go to a roll up. Very pleased with the Truxedo but as others have said you will lose 3/4" clearance.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
I too HAD the tonno-pro tri-fold on my 250 CCSB and with the trail air pin box, the only time the shock brushes the tri-fold is if I've bled all the air out of the pinbox airbags and the shock is almost laying flat - otherwise works like a champ !

Now, with the new 350 CCSB I just got, it came with a Ford branded Truxport cover. Seems to be a nice cover with a nice touch of the ford logo emblem on top... but not sure which I will keep and sell the other....

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:

I have the Truxedo LoPro QT. I know it's not a hard cover but works very well. Roll forward when towing, roll back when not. I have a short box so a trifold hard cover would not work for me. 5th pin box would likely contact cover. The Truxedo is very easy to remove if necessary.

Not quite sure why a trifold wouldn't fit your short bed...I have a short bed (6'6") RAM 2500 and the Bakflip G2 fits perfectly and clears my B&W Companion with room to spare...maybe you didn't look at them? I prefer the hard covers to the soft for security (I have a locking tailgate) and the ability to stand on them. Very handy for cleaning the nose cap without having to get out the ladder. Folding up aginst the cab allows the full length of the box to be used. I've never encountered a time that I've needed to remove it, however, two twist knobs and it disconnects from the rails.

The hard covers have come a long ways in their development over the last few years. I liked the the roll up hard cover, but, the tank that receives the cover is always hanging down in the bed, shortening my already short bed truck. If you carry a tool box or a fuel tank under the tank, I suppose it becomes less of an issue...I do like the way some will lock at any position, but, I wanted the full length of my already short bed free and the tri-fold folds up and lays flat so that the hitch is showing, but, the front of the bed (from the hitch forward) is covered. I carry two 5 gallon cans of diesel (just in case) up under there.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

MrD
Explorer
Explorer
Wow great responses, I'm checking out all the different options. I do have a long bed so that is an issue I'll have to deal with. My companion hitch is low enough so it probably won't be a problem. but my pin box is close to hitting my bed sides on a wide turn and with brackets for the cover it might get even worse. Lots to think about

Thanks for the replies.

Mike
Mike and Char
2008 Chev 3500HD D/A Ext cab LB D/A 4x4 dually
B&W companion hitch
2013 Arctic Fox 295K ๐Ÿ™‚

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Pace Edwards Bedlocker. It keeps the bed very dry. It easily clears the Companion hitch. It operates smoothly and reliably. Mine operates by a remote and a local dash mounted switch. It looks really nice. The motor roller wheels and seals are accessible for maintenance when needed. The cover is very sturdy and can easily handle a snow load. The wrinkle finish hides scratches. The cover was on the truck when I bought it.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer

Cover link
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300

LVTOCMP
Explorer
Explorer
Mr D I also use the Tonno Pro. It is not a hard cover, but when I tow my 5er I place the cover in the basement. The cover is held on with 4 handle clamps and takes 3 minutes to take it off and place it in storage. Then when I get to my camping site I unhook and put the cover back on. I've had the cover for 10 years and no leaks. Starting to show some wear.
Jerry

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
austinjenna wrote:
Another vote for Retrax,still looks good and can lock in any position. I throw the firewood before the hitch and when towing can slide it back to just before the hitch and it keeps the wood dry if we run into rain.

I had to get rid of my Retrax because of the rail issue. My pin box hit the rail in tight turns. I now have a Bak Flip G-2 which has smaller rail. If I were purchasing nor I would take a hard look at the Tonno Pro which seems to have no rails
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Retrax,still looks good and can lock in any position. I throw the firewood before the hitch and when towing can slide it back to just before the hitch and it keeps the wood dry if we run into rain.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:
I had to go from a Access roll up cover to a tri-fold. The Access cover had a rail system that went down each side of the bed rails that reduced my clearance between the 5 er., truck by 1.5". Went to a Tonno Pro tri-fold, no rails, 15 minute install.

Tonno Pro

X2 Quick on or off-light weight-I had the same issue with roll up.