cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best type of house battery

gmg
Explorer
Explorer
Most RVs seem to have lead acid deep cycle marine batteries. However Iโ€™m just thinking that most but not all RVers rarely camp without shore power. The most instantaneous power demand is when running out slides or deploying jacks. So it seems to me that a standard or combination starting battery makes more sense than the deep cycle marine battery. One more question I have: Iโ€™m wondering if the higher cost for agm batteries is worth the money. The plus side to me is not having to keep up with the electrolyte levels. I would be interested in what others think about this or have experienced.
2013 Ford F-250 Powerstroke Crewcab; Pullrite Superglide Hitch; 05 Everest 294L 5th Wheel.
23 REPLIES 23

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Marine batteries and deep cycle batteries are not the same thing. Deep cycle batteries are meant to be ran down and recharged many times without causing excessive damage to the batteries. Starting {cranking}, batteries are meant for a quick, high discharge needed to start a vehicle. They are not meant for long slow discharge. Marine deep cycle batteries are really a combination of both deep cycle and starting batteries. They are not the best at either, but are a compromise as a boater needs things like fish finders and radios running when the engine is not running, yet still needs to start the boat. True deep cycle batteries are best for house batteries. Generally you will get more storage capacity out of two 6 volt deep cycle batteries than you will two 12 volt ones. These are the same type that a golf cart would use. Just thought I would put that out there, as lots of people seem to believe marine batteries are true deep cycle batteries, when in fact they are not. Cheers

I love my 2 Lifeline AGM Group 31 batteries..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Two Trojan T-105's in series. My first set was replaced a year ago after 8 years full time service. Use the Trojan watering system and top them off twice a year and you are good to go. Zero maintenance - No, but darn close. And they are true deep cycle batteries.

My replacements were the same.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 big bucks for something most rv,ers don,t need.I,ve been using wal marts deep cycle for over ten years without a problem. and I boon dock most times. they last about four years. still charge but I changed them out for a long haul.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Your premise is incorrect. Most use a single starting battery (sometimes relabeled as a combination battery but really just a starting battery if you open it up and look at the construction).

If you don't camp off grid, it's a perfectly good solution. Jacks & slides will generally pull less than 100amps for less than 30seconds and a starting battery does just fine doing that.

Only reason to consider Gel or AMG is if you are going to roll your RV. The big advantage to them is they don't leak out the acid if you put them on their side or upside down (planes, boats, jeeps can gain advantage as they often spend time substantially off level). They offer no real advantage in an RV.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nickle Iron but oh they cost!
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I deploy my jacks with the motorhome motor still running. I imagine a fifth wheel owner could deploy the jacks and slides in the same way, so the power doesn't deplete your house batteries. I have gotten a lot more life and power out of AGM's than I did with LA batteries. The AGM's also need very little maintenance, so I think they are worth the extra cost. One hint is to look for craigslist ads for AGM's that are overstock or are being retired from UPS systems. A good way to get new or near new batteries for a fraction of the retail price.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never consider anything other than a deep cycle battery for my house battery. The advantage AGMs have over standard flooded batteries is lower maintenance (I've used them in boats for that reason). If people want to take the next giant step in RV batteries these days, they're going with Battle Born lithium batteries. They're pretty expensive, though.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015