cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better Made?

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a better/best made toy hauler? I'm not looking to start a fight but I'm wondering if there is a toy hauler that is just constructed better. I'm also not talking about luxury, but more along the lines of frame, walls, roof... Also, is there a brand of toy hauler that you would stay away from.

I currently have a 27ft Wolf Pack from Forest River, and we're looking to upgrade to a bigger and possibly 5th wheel toy hauler. Thanks in advance for your info.

Scott
31 REPLIES 31

aarondeere
Explorer
Explorer
I've been happy with ours. Had 1st yr bugs but has been trouble free since. Even the schwintec slides have been working well. Kinda a gamble these days. I figure I'm keeping this one till the kids are grown and gone so don't have to worry about that. Biggest thing I can offer is look it over well. Camp often to shake out any bugs and keep up with the maintenance.
Aaron
2010 Dodge 3500
2012 Voltage 3600 Epic

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
My girlfriend bought 2015 keystone 311 Impact fusions toy hauler. I think the craftsmanship is very good.Its heavy because there is a lot of detail along the floor inside every cabinet, with weigh you should find better quality.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
nvreloader wrote:
...Desert Fox...

They make their own frames and don't have the problems SOB (some other brands) do.

ROger that. Keeping the frames in-house means they have complete control over everything.

I've seen some hideous frames from Lippert. One I saw, they used up scrap pieces of I-beam by splicing them together to get one lone enough to build a particular trailer. Talk about "cheap-azzes...."
Bob

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
Originally Voltage was pretty high up on our list, but speaking to some owners had me a bit concerned. Then we found out about Tesla and Grand Design. After taking a lot of time to look and consider, we went with Grand Design. Especially with their after-the-sale support, we felt better going with a new one.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

camper_boy
Explorer
Explorer
I would always go for the quality...but don't really consider either of the ones you are caught up in are high quality. I however think some other brands are better, Newmar, Excel, KZ, DRV...others are mediocre. Its like someone asking if a Yugo is comparable to Ferrari...just not the same build attention to detail. So, if I were you I would search for a good used brand as I mentioned and save grief and money. Most used good brands can be had for lower cost than new Yugo brands.

Just do your homework or let me know if I can help. Good Luck

2008 Newmar X-Aire 41CKLG
2008 Ford F450 CrewCab Dually Diesel

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a quality deference between XLR and Voltage? A dealer close to me has a xlr that retails for 70, but will sell me for 57k. I found a used voltage (same floor plan) that the guy said when he bought it retailed for 90k, but he wants 45. I'm wondering if there is a quality difference of 20k and should I go with the used toy hauler, or no quality difference and for a little more I could get a new one. Your thoughts?

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the NorthWoods Desert Fox series, I have been extremely PLEASED with mine, and it get used in ALL conditions and weather, down to minus -20* so far.

They make their own frames and don't have the problems SOB (some other brands) do.

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
For the most part the the average mass built RVs are pretty similar.

Is XLR a good mainstream brand?

BadDogPSD
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
Good to see them expanding the Desert Fox line up. Now they just need to hire a good website designer ๐Ÿ˜‰

Agreed!
2013 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4
2014 Desert Fox 24AS

praisetoGod
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I went and looked today and THEY'RE NICE! I'm going to try to look around and not buy the first thing I see.

Eyetattoo
Explorer
Explorer
danojeno wrote:
http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/LQ.php
How do you like your Stellar 5th wheel?
2015 2500HD Duramax LTZ Crew Cab
2005 26' Attitude Toy Hauler
2007 GSXR600
2004 YFZ450
2006 TRX90
2013 Raptor 90
2007 Raptor 350

Is it time to camp yet?!

Y-Guy
BadDogPSD wrote:
Desert Fox is bringing back their 5th wheel toyhaulers. I believe they plan on two models, a 32-5 & 35-5.

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't seen they were moving back in the market. Good to see them expanding the Desert Fox line up. Now they just need to hire a good website designer ๐Ÿ˜‰

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/LQ.php
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)

Bedlam
I feel the ones based off car haulers or horse trailers are better structurally than the ones off Lippert or travel trailer frames. The appliances inside seem to be the same...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BadDogPSD
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Fox is bringing back their 5th wheel toyhaulers. I believe they plan on two models, a 32-5 & 35-5.

For somevreason I can't post the link on my phone, but go to northwoodmfg.com, click on toyhauler/desert fox, then click on the brochure.
2013 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4
2014 Desert Fox 24AS