Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blow outs and tires

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you have had a blow out?

I now carry two spares for my trailer. I've tried different tires and always have what the PSI is on the tire. Never had one go on any dirt roads always on the pavement.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus
25 REPLIES 25

ddm502001
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps been in the trucking industry too long where the common factors for HD Tire blowouts and in all sizing from 16' thru 24.5 diameters there are Age of carcass(Most corporate accounts replace before five years), amount of Static Time(sitting in One Spot), excessive weight and improper inflation. There are numerous 15" LT tires but are harder to locate where capacities are not all that greater than ST series.

Time on a tire seems odd, but rubber compounds lose Elastomeric volatiles' over time, become harder over years as the natural solvents and softening agents leave. Hardened tires take side loading and impact pressures terribly.
Static Time where again the tire compounds are hardening also develop a memory on the flat spot at bottom, as the tire rolls, it heats and that 'flat spot' rounds out again yet is affecting cording buried within the tire that has also developed a position memory, in essence becomes a weak spot.
Tire rated "D" load is for Single position, cannot simply Double on one axle as side loading at near maximum weight will shift excessive weight to those outside tires in corners, short duration excess weight applications not so bad but repetitive and in other high stress as Severe Heat or Severe Cold can be disastrous on those tires reducing longevity before lose carcass strength. In Duals is where Two rated tire capacities can be nearly doubled.
Inflation above or below recommended for loading weight, many see Hard Tires and falsely believe reduction of pressure will soften impact loading, if the tires are of a harder initial compound or have age hardened lowering pressure will only add to sidewall flex and eventual heating within the carcass to point of fail. Opposite when airing Above rated pressures thinking can decrease slewing or side roll as tire heats from friction and environment temperature those pressures reach critical failure point.

Have installed six lug 16" wheels on my own trailers to accommodate heavier GVWR Tires on them yet axles retain the lower weight rating. Do not have a Toy Hauler as yet but looking and will be opting for heavier eight lug hub/axles for better options of tires.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Something to add and I know this is the TH forum so most rigs in this category are 16โ€ or possibly larger commercial size wheels.
But some guys always preach โ€œuse LT tiresโ€. Thatโ€™s fine for 16โ€ and up.
Until now there have been zero 15 or 14โ€ LT tires that have anywhere near the load cap of heavy ST tires. But Falken iirc now offers a high load cap 15โ€ LT tire. Good news for anyone with 15โ€ wheels who canโ€™t get off the LT tire bandwagon.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
An area of tire inspection that is easily over-looked is dry-rot. Normally, everyone checks the sidewalls but rarely is the area between the tread blocks inspected. I have seen several tires that have sidewalls in great condition but when inspecting between the tread you find a different story. This is one way a tire that seemed to be in road-worthy condition can surprise you, in all of the wrong and unpleasant ways.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Blow out? Not sure. Had one seemed to leak down and shredded before I knew it was flat. Had another that threw the tread clean off while still holding pressure. Had another that was starting tread separation and was lucky to see it before going too far. Couple repairable road hazards and once a cracked steel wheel leaking down. No kaboom on any of them.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I dumped ST tires (C/D/E) years ago when pulling non rv trailers for a living. Too many ruined tires and down time on the side of the road changing tires or waiting for a small town tire store to open. We also carried two spares per trailer and some times ran out of tires.
For my trailers with tandem/triaxle 5.2k and 6k axles...or 10k-11k tandem dual axles I use a LT235/85-16" E @ 3042 lbs capacity. Check out the Bridgestone R238 commercial grade all steel ply carcass same as the old tried and true Michelin XPS Ribs. I have poly carcass LT 16" E on my 11400 lb 5th wheel trailer and get in the 50k-55k miles before tread wear bars just start showing.

On other trailers with 7k-8k axles the commercial grade all steel ply carcass Sailun S637 in a ST235/85-16 load G at 4400 lbs capacity. I have a set of these on a 36' triaxle GN stock trailer. Tires have around 35k miles now and going on 7 years old.

Using the tires above we don't have tire problems anymore nor do we need a lot of reserve capacity above the trailers axle ratings as some rv folks tend to do using ST C/D/E tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dedmiston
Dirtclods wrote:
How many of you have had a blow out?

I now carry two spares for my trailer. I've tried different tires and always have what the PSI is on the tire. Never had one go on any dirt roads always on the pavement.

How many axles on your hauler?

I had a guy at a tire shop explain to me that more axles increase the chances of punctures and blowouts on the subsequent axles. Now before you say, "No duh... More axles = more times = more flats", his point was that he sees more flats on the 2nd and 3rd axles because the front tires tend to kick up the hazards and then the next tire or two run over the exposed hazard.

I can't say my experience has been scientific, but it sure seems like I get more flats in the middle and rear sets of tires.

I also air down a little when I'm towing in the summertime. I check my tires the night before we take off and fill them cold, but the next afternoon could be 40ยฐ hotter out and then the tires are way overinflated.

I think my rears are more finicky because of the weight in the garage and the amount of scrub when I turn. Again though, just observations and not a lot of science.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
arhayes wrote:
Weโ€™ve been on the road full time for over 8 years now, have pulled the TH 65,000 miles, and have had 6 tire failures. I have always used a TPMS system and check pressure every travel day. Thing is, these rigs are heavy, our nationโ€™s roads are in very sorry condition, and stuff happens. I carry a full spare plus always carry an extra unmounted tire because roadside assistance can mount a tire on the road. I have had 2 failures at the same time before. The front tire delaminated and the trash from it ripped the steel valve off the tire behind it.

Btw, the myth of China bombs is just that. Iโ€™ve run into many full-timers and they have had failures with American made brands. Anyway, good luck and check your tires at each stop. You may spot an upcoming failure before it happens.

We had a TPMS too when our tire separated. No warning, just happened, then the TPMS went off.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve been on the road full time for over 8 years now, have pulled the TH 65,000 miles, and have had 6 tire failures. I have always used a TPMS system and check pressure every travel day. Thing is, these rigs are heavy, our nationโ€™s roads are in very sorry condition, and stuff happens. I carry a full spare plus always carry an extra unmounted tire because roadside assistance can mount a tire on the road. I have had 2 failures at the same time before. The front tire delaminated and the trash from it ripped the steel valve off the tire behind it.

Btw, the myth of China bombs is just that. Iโ€™ve run into many full-timers and they have had failures with American made brands. Anyway, good luck and check your tires at each stop. You may spot an upcoming failure before it happens.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't had a blow-out, but did have a tread separation that took out the fender, bent the steps and damaged some underbelly stuff. Insurance took care of it without question and no hesitation. After replacing the tires, we continued to have tire wear issues on one tire. At the advice of our RV tech guy, we had it aligned and that was part of the problem. We then upgraded from D load range tires to F. A G load range wouldn't fit our rig. Since that we have had ZERO problems and this has been 4 years, when with the last set of D range tires, we continually had problems every year. If you have ever read Roger Marble's RV tire articles on his blog - rvtiresafety.net, Chinese made is not the issues - over weight, improper care - including driving over the recommended speed, alignment, etc. are the issues. Note - I sent Roger pictures of our tires and the damage and from that he made the tire separation diagnosis. He's a great guy and great resource to have. Take his advice.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stories of RV tire blowouts, mostly on cheap, Chinese tires, are legendary. Best advice I can provide, is get your rig weighed ready for travel, and ensure your tires are rated for the load. Adjust psi up (but never above the tire's maximum) or down, consistent with the load table. If you need a G-rated tire, Sailuns are highly recommended. In the E-rated range, the GY Endurance excels. LT tires are not generally used where ST tires are specified.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Switch to LT or MT tires. Stay away from the ST tires.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore