cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brain Lapse!

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it was bound to happen. The minute you take your eye off the ball, you screw up.

After 4 yrs. with the 5'r, the first time I ever failed to do the pull test, I dropped her on the box. Fortunately, it didn't ding it up too bad, but I could kick myself for being so stupid (lazy). I was just going to move it into the driveway to leave for a weekend camping trip.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude
65 REPLIES 65

E_mc2
Explorer
Explorer
I am not real sure why anyone wouldn't do a pull test. Granted I am still new to the fiver club (about 1.5 years with our rig) the few extra seconds totally seems worth it. I have a companion that I absolutely love, but across the state or across the driveway.....I alway pull test.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500
2009 Weekend Warrior Superlite
B&W Companion
2006 Arctic Cat 650 H1 (x2 His and Hers)
An Awesome Family!

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I also have all 4 of my bed rail pins locked. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

oh_boy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Hijacker 16K, It has a flat bar that slides across the front of the pin.. The handle releases and slams across the pin. When I get out to check, the hitch is locked if I can put the lock pin in. If not then I check.
In 11 years I have one rule..if I get interrupted during my walk around check I'll start over. Never failed me yet..
Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
old guy wrote:
it happens. and more often than you think. I have a friend who just got his bed rails fixed for the third time. I tell him he is just too darn rough on equipment.

Tell him to get a flat-bed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it happens. and more often than you think. I have a friend who just got his bed rails fixed for the third time. I tell him he is just too darn rough on equipment.

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
I had a variation of the brain fart. I was unhitching last year at home and didn't put the landing gear all the way down yet. I needed to do something so I stopped the gear and reached over the side of the truck. While I was there, I instinctively pulled the release handle. The 5er rolled back slightly and landed on the truck. No damage but it could have been much worse. I agree with all those that say to focus on your task and not to let anyone or anything interrupt your routine.

Great point I'm going to add that one

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
We've been pulling our 5ver for just over 5 years....I have done a pull test EVERY time I hook up....we still follow a checklist....sure we know what we're doing...but, safety comes first. I use to use a lock on the pull bar...but don't anymore. If we stop, I check to make sure nobody has pulled it. I also have 2 of my bed rail pins locked...have heard of those getting pulled also.

I do the light, break, blinker check every time also.

I guess all of this caution comes from my job testing helicopters.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I had a variation of the brain lapse. I was unhitching last year at home and didn't put the landing gear all the way down yet. I needed to do something so I stopped the gear and reached over the side of the truck. While I was there, I instinctively pulled the release handle. The 5er rolled back slightly and landed on the truck. No damage but it could have been much worse. I agree with all those that say to focus on your task and not to let anyone or anything interrupt your routine.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

rockintom
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch is locked if I pull my rig off the site, period. And another habit I've got into is EVERY time I put the truck in gear and start to roll, I apply the manually apply the trailer brakes to make sure all is well. This happens even after a quick stop at the rest area. I've done this ever since I heard about the guy that young grandson was playing in his truck. When he left he had to quickly go down a long and steep hill. When he apply the brakes there was nothing there (no trailer assist). Seems the boy had turn down the gain all the way down! Scary ride. rockin'
Rockintom
'12 Excel Limited GKE 33 ft., trailer named "Charm"
'14 1 ton Chevy DRW D/A Reese 20K hitch Fold-A-Cover bedcover - truck named "Bullet" Fulltiming since 2005

bad99ram
Explorer
Explorer
I've been pulling 5th wheels since 1998. I have never done a pull test. After I hookup I get out of the truck and visually check to see the jaws are locked. I ten lock the handle. After reading about people pulling handles of parked rigs I also check that the handle is closed and locked before I leave and do a walkaround of the rig. I do this everytime without exception regardless of the weather . Never had a problem yet. However its easy to get distracted but it you make it part of your routine you will be ok

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
JCasper wrote:
I've owned my fifth wheel for about 6 weeks now and stopped doing the pull test. I do however look at the jaws every time when I go to close up the tailgate, prior to pulling the jacks up.

That's ALL YOU NEED TO DO! With a B&W hitch a visual test is all you need.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I always look at the jaws to confirm. I will admit I get complacent with the pull test sometimes. Depends on where I am. The reason to do a pull test is more than just confirming locked jaws. You are testing the brake system too. So I might not do a pull test when I'm leaving my own driveway. I'll know at the first stop sign if the brakes are working or not. I am more careful to do the pull test when leaving a campground and hitting the road, which more often that not is a downhill stretch. I want to feel the brakes.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
I always put a padlock on the hitch if we will be leaving the truck. ๐Ÿ™‚

kayakcrazy wrote:
Quite a few years ago Dw and I stopped at a mall to get some last minute items on our way out of town. While in the store someone pulled our pin and unhooked the 5th wheel hitch. We hopped in and started to pull away and down she came (no damage, not even a scratch). Two mods came out of that: 1) a small pad lock on the handle that engages and disengages the receiver 2) took a cheap cutting board and cut it into one inch strips. Counter sunk some holes and screwed to the underside of my 5th above the truck bed. Never did happen again but was ready if it did.

X2
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
JCasper wrote:
I've owned my fifth wheel for about 6 weeks now and stopped doing the pull test. I do however look at the jaws every time when I go to close up the tailgate, prior to pulling the jacks up.

YUP, when I was training for my commercial drivers license the trainer said "don't assume anything. Get out and LOOK! Laziness can be expensive."

When I FT'd in my 5ver for about 4 years I always checked to make sure the jaws were closed and locked. I then placed a lock on the jaws. Never had any problems and never did any pull test. Plus if you get out and LOOK it burns calories and keeps me agile. Laziness spreads. First don't check the hitch, then don't walk behind, then don't check other things. Pretty soon it is an accident just waiting to happen. Even when the DW says "come on back" I get out and make a walk around.

I see RVers in RV parks jump in their rigs and just drive off. Very few check their brakes, their lights, turn signals etc.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I always put a padlock on the hitch if we will be leaving the truck. ๐Ÿ™‚

kayakcrazy wrote:
Quite a few years ago Dw and I stopped at a mall to get some last minute items on our way out of town. While in the store someone pulled our pin and unhooked the 5th wheel hitch. We hopped in and started to pull away and down she came (no damage, not even a scratch). Two mods came out of that: 1) a small pad lock on the handle that engages and disengages the receiver 2) took a cheap cutting board and cut it into one inch strips. Counter sunk some holes and screwed to the underside of my 5th above the truck bed. Never did happen again but was ready if it did.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"