cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Breakaway Cable

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Like most people, I put my Breakaway Cable over the 5th Wheel hitch arm. On my last trip, when I reached my destination, the cable was just laying freely in the bed of my truck. At first I thought that maybe I had just forgotten to put the loop over the hitch arm so I took extra care to make sure it was on the arm when returning home. When I got home, sure enough, it was laying in the bed of the truck again. I know there's a lot of wind turbulence in a truck bed when traveling and the road was quite bumpy but a lot of good it does putting the cable over the arm if it doesn't stay there. Now I have to come up with another location to attach it. Any ideas?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
43 REPLIES 43

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I make it X5!

The service manager at my dealer told me to do that during the delivery walk through.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I also have a padlock on the latch that keeps the release handle from being pulled. I attach the cable to that padlock.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Times three!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
I attach mine with a small padlock to the hitch. There's a small hole for locking the release arm to the hitch so some idiot doesn't pull the locking bar open while I'm away from the rig during travel. I just use the hole with a small padlock to secure the cable.

I do the same. So far so good 10 years later.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I just ordered the coiled breakaway cable (6' length) and will go buy an eye bolt. I like that idea a lot! Thanks again!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I attach mine with a small padlock to the hitch. There's a small hole for locking the release arm to the hitch so some idiot doesn't pull the locking bar open while I'm away from the rig during travel. I just use the hole with a small padlock to secure the cable.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Never thought of the eye bolt on hitch handle. I just replaced the OEM cable w/ a coiled one w/ the large carabeaner clip, but it's just and I mean just large enough to wiggle over the 2 bolts on the handle. Think I'll be replacing 1 bolt w/ an eye bolt. Thanks for that tip BB.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hook mine to the inside of the box, not the hitch.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wherever you decide to fasten it, the coiled cable BB suggested is a good idea, especially for fifth wheel application. I, and I'm sure many others, have snagged the oem cable, while turning/maneuvering, and locked the brakes.

Jerry

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I replaced one of the bolts in my hitch handle with an eye bolt. And bought a coiled breakaway cable. Ring is attached to the breakaway pin. And I hook the carabiner to the eye bolt so that it can't come off. Tension on the coil prevents it from flopping around in the bed of the truck and getting caught on anything.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
I attach my breakaway cable to the truck and not the hitch.

X2. I have a buddy, a retired police officer that informed ne in some states itโ€™s a requirement to have it attached to the TV, not the hitch. I changed to having it on the truck
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I attach my breakaway cable to the truck and not the hitch.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
Like most people, I put my Breakaway Cable over the 5th Wheel hitch arm. On my last trip, when I reached my destination, the cable was just laying freely in the bed of my truck. At first I thought that maybe I had just forgotten to put the loop over the hitch arm so I took extra care to make sure it was on the arm when returning home. When I got home, sure enough, it was laying in the bed of the truck again. I know there's a lot of wind turbulence in a truck bed when traveling and the road was quite bumpy but a lot of good it does putting the cable over the arm if it doesn't stay there. Now I have to come up with another location to attach it. Any ideas?

Buy a clear 1/2" plastic tube 1 1/2 ft. long. and insert the break away cord through the tube. This plastic tube will add enough weight to solve the problem.

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same thing happen to me. I also thought I forgot to attach it. I loop mine through a coder pin at the top of my hitch and also over the release handle. It hasn't come loose since.
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS