cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

buying a mid profile for full timing

crhope
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to purchase a 2016 coachman chaparral. It is considered a "mid profile" 5th wheel. I guess that is saying it is not for full timing. The next step up is coachman brookstone and I think that is considered a high profile. I guess that means it is for full timing. My husband and I are retired. We can afford the chaparral but not the brookstones. Do some people full time in mid profile rvs? Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a used 2010 Chaparral. We traded a Cougar for it. Both are "Mid Profile" I can easily move around in the Chaparral. The cougar was almost a climb in up front.

Point being, as others have said, don't get hung up on the profile.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our second "Chappy". Get it you will like it. They are the best bang for the buck.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SabreCanuck wrote:
I determined the difference between "MID" and "HIGH" to only be the height in the bedroom. I determined that because I am 6'4" and was tired of ducking. I can't say difference in quality, after we deemed we 'needed' the HIGH profile we only shopped for those and there were quality differences from one to the next.

In short, I don't think Mid/High is a characteristic of "full time" or not. So, buy the one you want and enjoy!!

I agree, the headroom in our Copper Canyon is about 6'-1" to 6'-2", I can stand up straight and that is all that matters to me.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

justme
Explorer
Explorer
The military full times in tents:-)

crhope
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, you have all made me feel better about our choice. The one we will be getting is the 39 something-can't remember the letters. Love, love, love it!

We're selling our house in a 55+ communiy-just not our bag.
We don't have to "duck" I am 5'6"; hubby 5'4" LOL

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
There's guys full timing under a bridge where I frequently drive by. Not what I'd want to do. A mid profile 5th wheel would be like a mansion compared to a bridge and cardboard. If you're comfortable then that's all that matters.

hdfatboynj
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Chaparral and love it. It's big enough that you won't kill each other yet very cozy. Mine has the Artic package. What size do you have?
2015 Coachman Chaparral 29MKS
Ford E450 Super Duty Duely
USMC 81-85

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Profile has zero to do with being full time capable or not.

It's simply how tall the interior is in the overhang.

Full height is nice but we don't stand in the front, so it's not really an issue (I'm 6'2")
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't full time but, it seems to me you can full time in a tent if that's what you like.
Don't worry about a name. Get what you like and fits your lifestyle.
Enjoy your travels.

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
I determined the difference between "MID" and "HIGH" to only be the height in the bedroom. I determined that because I am 6'4" and was tired of ducking. I can't say difference in quality, after we deemed we 'needed' the HIGH profile we only shopped for those and there were quality differences from one to the next.

In short, I don't think Mid/High is a characteristic of "full time" or not. So, buy the one you want and enjoy!!
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cloughfam
Explorer
Explorer
Considering some poeple fulltime in class B's and camper vans, I think you can fulltime in whatever you see fit. You may not have as many amenities in a "mid" as you would a "high", but those can be worked around...
2011 Jayco JayFlight 25BHS
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X2 HEMI
Me, the wife, 2 sons...

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not think that you will have any problems in a Chaparral .