cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cabinet over head door hinges come loose

rayeckles
Explorer
Explorer
I had a cabinet hinge come loose from my cabinet door with the plastic plugs and screws next to the strut. I am planning on using epoxy have any of you tried this repair and what type of epoxy?.
13 REPLIES 13

MC9
Explorer
Explorer
I cut a slit from the bottom up in the plastic insert (so it can flare a little more) slather everything with Elmers and put it together wet. Don't you just love those "European" hinges?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issues with our last TT. I put some Super Glue on the plastic insert, pushed it back in then re-screwed the hinge. After doing that they never loosened up again.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
MrRetired821 wrote:
Had same thing happen to a cabinet door strut. I got a wooden dowel that fit the hole where the plastic one was and cut it flush with opening. Used wood glue to secure the dowel in the hole. Screwed the screw into the wooden dowel and so far no problems.

This is a great idea and as was said earlier, times changes and new ideas come foreword. I am a sawdust maker(home woodworker) and I found that using my dull pencil sharpener to sharpen dowels like a pencil, but to a very dull point, the pointed end about 1/8" diameter, makes a really good plug for a stripped out screw. There are tapered reams available that are very close to the angle of a sharpened pencil.

I use a sharpener with dull cutters because of the whiskers created on the taper. They increase the area that glue adheres to and provides more glue deep in the hole.

I have been using this system for years and in most instances no hole needs to be drilled in your face frame or other work. Just reaming out the screw hole will work well.

I know it is another expense and lord knows our lifestyle requires buying many things but this is an everyday tool I use for other things as well.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
i think every hole in every hinge let loose one time or another. I used toothpicks and gorilla glue. Let dry overnight and then put the screws back in. too soon and you will never remove them.The stiles on the cabinets are not wood but that dern glueboard (sawdust and glue)

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same hinges that use the plastic inserts in the hole. I have had to fix five of them. I took the door off and used gorilla glue per their instructions. I then used clamps to hold the hinge tight in place while it dried.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the round tooth picks trick. I repaired my loose awning brackets with the tooth picks. Still holding tight.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
I have also used the toothpick trick before with good results.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

AUwing2
Explorer
Explorer
Round wood tooth picks cut to the depth of the hole and a little wood glue are in my general repair kit. They've all held

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
an old carpenter trick is to put a (you can whittle one down to size) wooden plug into the hole then the screw will catch. I usually put a dab of white carpenters glue on the plug and let it set for awhile before putting the screw back in, another idea is to use a longer screw...
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
If yours has the same hinges as mine you can tighten the screw to swell the plastic barrel after inserting it back into the overhead door. I did add gorilla glue to a couple also.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
Nature of the beast with all the movement an RV gets. Above post is a good permanent fix. In lieu of this fix, epoxy will work. I applied Gorilla glue in hole and on plastic bushing once I completely had removed the hinge and hardware. Let dry over night before reattaching screws. No issues since repair and we have traveled about 8000 miles this winter.

Good luck.

Lakeside

Just be careful with Gorilla Glue because it expands. Put it in a hole and the wood might split. Some good wood glue mixed with sawdust is excellent for filling a hole and then insert the screws while the glue is still wet.

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Nature of the beast with all the movement an RV gets. Above post is a good permanent fix. In lieu of this fix, epoxy will work. I applied Gorilla glue in hole and on plastic bushing once I completely had removed the hinge and hardware. Let dry over night before reattaching screws. No issues since repair and we have traveled about 8000 miles this winter.

Good luck.

Lakeside

MrRetired821
Explorer
Explorer
Had same thing happen to a cabinet door strut. I got a wooden dowel that fit the hole where the plastic one was and cut it flush with opening. Used wood glue to secure the dowel in the hole. Screwed the screw into the wooden dowel and so far no problems.
Smokey&Bobbye