cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cable hook-up problem

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks -- I need help with the cable hookup on my 5'er. I have tied hooking up using the satellite prep connection and turning OFF the antenna booster --- NOTHING. Did same and tried jumping the 2 "F" connections in the bedroom where booster is located -- STILL NOTHING!. The only way I could get the cable to work this past weekend was by running the cable directly to the connection of the TV its self and switching the input to cable from antenna. Checked the cable by connecting to neighbors TT and worked fine so it wasn't the cable. I called the original seller of the unit, and was told to just turn off the booster -- as stated -- That didn't work! Help me please.
2010 Keystone Cougar 318SAB ==
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started
15 REPLIES 15

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
The F connectors often fail over time, either vibrate loose or corrode. Recommend you take the wall plates off, inspect, clean and WD40 every connector you can reach. On my rig, the antenna connection on the roof corrodes. The connector inside behind the booster near the ceiling vibrates loose.
Then check continuity on each section of coax - in the process learning where each section goes.
While the plates are off, notice whether the internal coax used was RG-6 or the smaller RG-59 which may not carry the cable signal.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the long delay --- Been working on too many things. I plan to go over the 5'er from end-to-end and find the cable connection if it's there.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB

BusaGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Heck, last year I hooked up to my *park cable* input on my 2014 WildWood and my cable didn't work worth a crap. Even had the park people come check the signal. Then when I got home, I found another *park cable* input on the back of the camper and used it this year.......hit auto scan and it worked.........boy did I feel stupid! But I am still wondering what the input on the side actually does. Any ideas?
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DWR Cummins Powered
2014 Wild Wood Heritage Elite
DW, DD's, DS, and our 2 little dogs!!

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Hell of a thing for an RV Tech to tell you that a sat hook up is connected to a booster and splitter....

A satellite needs a direct line from the dish to the receiver. You can't split the line before the receiver, or run the booster in there and expect the sat signal to work.

A 2010 Cougar should have 2 coax inputs somewhere on the coach....
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My question was asked and answered. Sorry.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Sat Prep was the only connector I can find. I spoke to the Tec at local R/V dealer. He said the Sat Prep is connected to the antenna booster and there is a splitter down stream from there just a short distance. He said that it's probably just a crossed or broken connection. I'll dig in to this a few days from now when the temps drop back in to the 80's and humidity comes down some.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you hooking up to the sat prep??

It is cable, not satellite.

Hook up to the cable input, turn booster off, and select "cable"on the TV input screen.
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Tested in this way:
Connected pylon to Sat Prep and turned off Antenna Booster -- No Signal
Selected "CABLE" input with above connection -- Nothing did scan -- Nothing.
Turned booster back "ON" nothing
There is another pair of "F" connectors next to the booster and jumpered from both individually -- Nothing.
I have put in a call o the previous owner to see if he can help.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
On my trailer you connect Cable to the Cable connection. Not to the Satellite connection. There are two connections at the TV cabinet. There is a cable connection and a Satellite connection. Cable to TV if using cable. Satellite to TV if using Satellite. And for cable you jumper the two connectors near the antenna boost box. Booster/amplifier stays off.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

houstonstroker
Explorer
Explorer
Sat has to have a clear path to the receiver. The booster will block this signal. In some RVs the jumper is needed to watch park cable. Take out the jumper and install the receiver box in its place. Now run a cable from the receiver (RCA, F, HDMI,Component) to your TV and select the correct source.
2016 Dynamax Force HD Super C

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a friend of mine with his Cougar (2014). It has the connections in the rear of the unit (one for cable, one for sat). We tried all kinds of things such as those you tried. I suggested that he put a new connection in the slide directly behind tv cabinet. He decided to take the trailer to the local rv repair shop and Keystone paid to replace the cable and make it right. I believe they said it was a staple in the cable. If you have a an ohm meter, make sure the center of the coax is not grounded out.

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a friend of mine with his Cougar (2014). It has the connections in the rear of the unit (one for cable, one for sat). We tried all kinds of things such as those you tried. I suggested that he put a new connection in the slide directly behind tv cabinet. He decided to take the trailer to the local rv repair shop and Keystone paid to replace the cable and make it right. I believe they said it was a staple in the cable. If you have a an ohm meter, make sure the center of the coax is not grounded out.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know you said you switched inputs on TV from antenna to cable when you connected directly to TV but did you change TV input on menu from antenna to cable when using cable connection on side of rig.

Our antenna booster has to be OFF when using cable connection, plus we have to change TV input to cable and then auto scan
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
Hook up to the cable inlet not the sat. input. Then it should work If I am reading your post correct.