cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cap the dump pipe!!

1100Sabre
Explorer
Explorer
The cap for the dump pipe is there for a few good reasons. I'm not sure how far down the reason list this one is but it's a good one. In the spring the birds are building nests. They like to find protected areas and inside a big pipe is great!!
Anyway, I had quite the adventure a couple of weeks ago leaving a state park. I'm very glad no one was waiting in line behind me because it took a little bit of time to get this done. Apparently a bird built a rather nice nest way up inside the pipe that I did not see. You can imagine me scratching my head when I pulled the valves and nothing came out. I was able to figure it out and fix the problem. We are minus one hot dog roaster as it was put in the trash can when we left. And, they had a very nice and clean dump station when I finished sanatizing the entire area!!
2015 4X4 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 3500HD Crew Cab SRW
2007 Sportsman Sportster KZ 33P Toy Hauler
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."
29 REPLIES 29

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
JEBar wrote:
I can't help but wonder why dumping dish water is an issue for those in a camper and doesn't seem to be when done by folks who are tent camping ?

Jim
Actually a conscious tenter would capture his dishwater, but I don't think anybody cares about his skillet wash or 1 gallon of water. Certainly doesn't equate to you opening your 3" waste gates and letting your 70 or 90 gallons of gray go.

There are places marked that let you discharge the gray, but its not a universal thing.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:
Oh goodness! Just saw a wild rabbit pee in my site! Call the EPA, quick! :B
Hmmm, last I remember the only thing that comes out of a rabbit is pee, not laundry detergent or dishsoap. I don't think anybody cares if you pee on a bush either, just keep your bathwater in your tank.

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help but wonder why dumping dish water is an issue for those in a camper and doesn't seem to be when done by folks who are tent camping ?

Jim
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Stiener51, that is funny and I hope you had some yellow tape to block off the site with. LOL.

Want to do something more fun, put the cap back on the drain pipe but forget to shut the valve. The next time you decide to dump and remove the cap, you don't have to even pull the handle, to start the sewer flowing. Being that I am a quick learner, it only took once for me.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
DSteiner51 wrote:

Oh Noooooooooooo........say it's not true! :E
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

weakknees
Explorer
Explorer
In developed Forest Service camp grounds here you can't dump anything directly on the ground. Boondocking they will ask you to dump your grey water on the ground.
2004 2500HD Duramax-Allison, long bed crew cab.
2002 28' Thor fifth wheel (a good one)

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
Wow ... the greenie movement has really warped some attitudes...

What do you think the tenters do with their grey water? .

A lot of campsites post where it is acceptable to dump your dish water. Usually at a comfortable station. For those who do interior camping, like we have, use environmentally correct soaps and shampoos. Any dish water is then dumped quite a bit away from camp area. Dish water as well as shower water and toothpaste attract animals, especially bears.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
Mile High wrote:
How about just the fact it STINKS! Give your neighbors some respect! It's not just bath water, its kitchen sink water which when stored in a tank for a while can smell worse than the black tank!

Tenters are tenters, they take dumps in the bushes too. :R That's why they put them over in the "OTHER" section on the hill ๐Ÿ™‚

"It's not just bath water, its kitchen sink water which when stored in a tank....."

Not always so.Some RVs have three waste tanks,the third one being for the galley (kitchen sink).You are correct about the kitchen sink water,it gets pretty yucky,But I don't think that bath water is going to poison the environment

True - but grey is grey in some peoples minds.

Bath water, or even laundry water as some rigs are configured, is saturated with Phosphates that kill fish in nearby stream or lake when the suds gets there. Nature has a way of surviving a little bit of offense, but we have never learned how to do anything in moderation.

Phosphates in water

After reading the article,and a couple more,I agree,It's not acceptable to dump that bath water on the ground.So I have to change my statement.It does poison our environment,just in small steps.
Like dieing of a thousend cuts.Still dead,it just took longer.

This thread sure made some twists and turns,sometimes that can be for the better.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
Mile High wrote:
How about just the fact it STINKS! Give your neighbors some respect! It's not just bath water, its kitchen sink water which when stored in a tank for a while can smell worse than the black tank!

Tenters are tenters, they take dumps in the bushes too. :R That's why they put them over in the "OTHER" section on the hill ๐Ÿ™‚

"It's not just bath water, its kitchen sink water which when stored in a tank....."

Not always so.Some RVs have three waste tanks,the third one being for the galley (kitchen sink).You are correct about the kitchen sink water,it gets pretty yucky,But I don't think that bath water is going to poison the environment

True - but grey is grey in some peoples minds.

Bath water, or even laundry water as some rigs are configured, is saturated with Phosphates that kill fish in nearby stream or lake when the suds gets there. Nature has a way of surviving a little bit of offense, but we have never learned how to do anything in moderation.

Phosphates in water

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
In some areas it is now "code", to put the grey water in a underground tank and pump it out for sprinklers to water the landscape.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
In CA with the drought the latest rage is to catch your home Grey and use it on your plants. Several neighbors are catching their Washer discharge and watering with it. It's the new Prius ๐Ÿ™‚