cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carlisle RH Trail vs Maxxis M8008 Tires GVWR 10k

RedSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
We want to replace the OEM tires (225/75/15 "D" load range) on our 2012 Keystone Laredo 275SBH fifth wheel. It's sticker empty weight is 7199, GVWR is 10k. We've never weighed it all stocked up, but I'd guess we're around 8500 lbs.

We only haul shorter distances - 100 miles one way is typically the farthest we go however, we do have a 200 mile trip planned in a few weeks. For that, we don't plan to haul loaded with water. We live in Wisconsin, travel in Wisconsin, so we don't need to consider hauling through Death Valley for heat issues. We put on less than 1,000 miles/year. She's stored outside in the summer (May - Oct), inside in the winter.

I read here that Carlisle makes a crappy tire, but it appears some are USA made, some are not. Their Trail RH tire was "redesigned" in 2011 so perhaps that tire is okay now. The local tire shop classifies both it and the Maxxis as their "BEST" quality tires.

Questions
1) Is load range D sufficient for our use?
2) Is it really worth another $100 in cost to get the Maxxis M8008 over the Carlisle RH? If so WHY?

Thanks in advance...
52 REPLIES 52

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
RedF-350 wrote:
Never, never, never use Carlisle!!! I have been burned to many times. And for the love of Pete, never believe what a tire salesman is trying to sell you. Whether it's a lawn mower, trailer, or ATV, you WILL experience failure.

I also hate to hear about people supporting GY after what they've done.

I will only use the Japanese brands: Toyo, Nitto, and Maxxis. The American and Chinese brands seem to fail, not balance, or disintegrate. This comes from many years and MANY sets of new tires.

Information about your tire choices.

The common factor is replacement size.

Ref #1
Ref #2
Ref #3

FastEagle

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
RedF-350 wrote:
Never, never, never use Carlisle!!! I have been burned to many times. And for the love of Pete, never believe what a tire salesman is trying to sell you. Whether it's a lawn mower, trailer, or ATV, you WILL experience failure.

I will only use the Japanese brands: Toyo, Nitto, and Maxxis. The American and Chinese brands seem to fail, not balance, or disintegrate. This comes from many years and MANY sets of new tires.

In 15" ST tires you have very little choice. Please tell us the last time you had a set of Carlisle Tires. I had these installed on my trailer in Florida, and they went up to Maine-then back to Utah with ZERO issues./
http://www.tirereview.com/article/88909/carlisle_has_new_trailer_radial.aspx

I am still waiting for a reply to my question.

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
Jeepman71

No- I kept the original aluminum wheels pending my trip to the CAT scales, which proved to be an okay choice since my total axle weight was within specs.

And while I have only had one short trip less than 200 miles on the Maxxis- they seem to tow better.

I sold my 4 take off tires with 800 miles on them for $100 for the set- the guy that bought them thought he was getting a deal-- not in my opinion??

Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

RDG
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought the new Carlisle RH Trail tires because Discount Tire could not get the Maxxis tires I wanted. Below is an email I sent to Carlisle and their responce. I have had no issues with the 5 year old Freestar tires that I replaced.

Subject : Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire Message :
I just purchaased 4 Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tires and hope I did not make a mistake. I did upgrade to the E rated tires. I am replacing a set of Freestar tires that have less than 15,00 miles on them but they are 5 years old and it is time to replace them.
Before that we had 3 sets of Nanco tires in 3 years on our 5th wheel. The china******rotted out setting in the driveway. These tires turned a nasty brown color and cracked around the rim and in the tread.
The Freestars were the last free replacement tires from Tireco.
I know that your trailer tires are made in China but so are every other trailer tire on the market.
I do hope that I have not made a mistake by buying your brand but I will give them a try. The salesman at Discount tire spoke highly of your product but he is a salesman and it's his job to say the Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tires are the best. Discount could not get the Maxxis I wanted so Goodyear was my nest choise but your tires were a better value.
Thanks for your time and time will tell if I made the right choise in trailler tires.

Carlisle's reply:
Thanks for purchasing Carlisle tires. You'll like the performance of our Radial Trail RH.

With 66 facilities owned and operated by Carlisle Companies, all but 12 are located in the United States. As you see from these numbers, we are an American company committed to American manufacturing and standards.

Carlisle tires manufactured in Asia are developed in factories owned and operated by Carlisle, under the supervision of American engineers and tested according to U.S. standards, unlike some other tire companies who simply contract out to the lowest bidding foreign factory.

Please register your tires on line at http://register.cimstireregistration.com/index.cfm?id=carlisle

Attached are some trailer tire tips and best practices.

Thanks again for choosing Carlisle.

Regards,

Tony Coffield
2001 Forest River Georgetown 346S Motorhome

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
RedF-350 wrote:

In 15" ST tires you have very little choice. Please tell us the last time you had a set of Carlisle Tires. I had these installed on my trailer in Florida, and they went up to Maine-then back to Utah with ZERO issues.
http://www.tirereview.com/article/88909/carlisle_has_new_trailer_radial.aspx

RedF-350
Explorer
Explorer

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of misinformation-as usual in regards to Carlisle Tires. There are new Carlisle Tires that have a Nylon overlay cap-like the MX brand. There have been no reports of widespread failure of these tires. These tires have the same name "Radial Trail" but have an "RH" on the side of the tire next to the name.

I put a set of 4 on my TT in Florida-they went up the East Coast and back to Utah with ZERO issues. But I did not drive them over 65mph like the majority of TT and 5th wheels passing me on the Interstate.

I am sure those tires never blow out and those drivers don't post "Chinese Junk" on RV.NET.

RedSunshine
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
routemaster wrote:
I to put Carlisle tires last summer the new style been fine so far mind you only 1800 miles.

I, too, needed tires =right now=, and couldn't wait for the Maxxis to be brought in. I ended up with the "redesigned" Carlisles from Discount. Since then, I've talked to employees at several different DT locations and most of them are running these new Carlisles on their own trailers and all have said they've had no problems. We'll see...

Lyle

This is good to hear. After refusing the first set of 2 year old Maxxus tires, I was told it would take 30-45 days to order a set from the manufacturer. We decided to try Maxxus Load Range "D". Those were even OLDER. So..faced with either a wait or going with the Carlisles, we chose the Carslisle's in a Load Range E. The technician (not the salesman) told me he's been running the RH Trails on several differen trailers and they haven't had any problems with them.

We verified the wheels are rated to 2850 lbs, so we're good there, too.

I'll resurrect this thread when/if we have a blow-out due to tire quality, not human error or road hazard.

Ezbagr
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I just don`t get it. Why would anyone not use anything but a good quality LT tire that meets the requirements as replacements for the cheap st tires.
It is generally accepted that the LT tire is designed and built with excess capacity over what they are rated for and we all know that the st tires specs are grossly overrated.

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
I put a set on mine a year and some ago just after they came on the scene. So far no issues and we are out pretty much every week end and a lot of nasty back roads too that is sometimes had on the tires. Nothing bad to say so far.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
routemaster wrote:
I to put Carlisle tires last summer the new style been fine so far mind you only 1800 miles.

I, too, needed tires =right now=, and couldn't wait for the Maxxis to be brought in. I ended up with the "redesigned" Carlisles from Discount. Since then, I've talked to employees at several different DT locations and most of them are running these new Carlisles on their own trailers and all have said they've had no problems. We'll see...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

byways
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis Load Range E for me (6500 pounds tow weight). I travel without worry over the byways and backroads of rural America (Wisconsin too)! Dramatic improvement in ride quality over the Blowmax garbage.

tahoemc
Explorer
Explorer
My research suggests most 5 lug 15" wheels are rated at 2150 lbs, while most six lugs are 2850 lbs. I'm in the process of taking the china bombs LRD off my 1 year old 5r and replacing with Maxxis LRE's. I have the 15" 6 lug wheels. Will verify that the wheels can handle the higher PSI when the tires come in.
2004 Ram 3500 Quad 4x4 Cummins w/auto 4.10 Reese w/ slider
2012 Dutchmen Denali 262rlx w/Moutain Package

jeepman71
Explorer
Explorer
KopyKat, did you change your wheels when you went to the Maxxis tires?

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
Red Rider--for what it's worth, you could easily be off on your total weight by about 1,000 lbs.

I took my Flagstaff 8528 to the CAT scales and I had 7500 lbs. on the axles and total weight of 9400 lbs ready to go camping.

I replaced my stock tires with only 800 miles on them and mounted the Maxxis 8008 "E" - at 80 PSI and full metal valve stems.

By the way--15" aluminum wheels are usually rated at 2150 lbs per wheel capacity--

As I said, just a few thoughts---have a great summer! Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"