cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Check date codes on your tires

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, I just want to warn you of a potential issue with all your trailers in respect to your tires. Before you buy a NEW or used trailer, make sure you check the date code on your tires. You might be buying a camper with tires that are significantly older than the manufacture date of the RV (very significantly OLDER).

My 2010 Keystone Raptor turned out to have 5 2008 tires and one 2006 tire. Well, the 2006 tire had a significant defect that caused a softball sized welt on the inside sidewall. Luckily we found it before it blew. The tire shop asked me if my camper was a 2006 and I SAID NO, it's a 2010. I took the tire to the shop off the camper, so at the time I did not know what all the other tire dates where.

We discussed this for a while and we talked about how that most of the RV manufactures have these chassis sitting around for a while and outside before they actually build the camper. Well I can accept 6 months but not 2 to 4 years!

So lesson learned, I will never buy an RV without first checking the date codes on the tires. I never thought to look. This is a huge problem IMHO. We were also trying to figure out why all our tires have started to dry rot so soon. now we know. I wonder if I have any recourse with Keystone or the dealer? We did purchase this RV in Oct. 2009. But still one of those tires was manufactured 11th week of 2008.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters
13 REPLIES 13

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ALWAYS, always - check date codes on any tires.....
including *NEW* tires you are buying..:W

BTW - even when the tire shop guy says, oh yeah - 5 years max for tire
life - - and has his guys installing "new" tires that are 17 months old.

Two tires mounted when I returned to pick them up.

Told him - - "No way, Jose!"

"You can re-mount the old ones -OR- find a (much) more current date".

Actually, I think he didn't check what the distributor had sent him.:S

Surprise!

Yeah - he found some that were less than 2 months old..:W

~

"buc1980" nothing wrong with tires mfg in China - just *ST* tires mfg in China.
Chinese are quite capable of mfg quality tires!
Even MICHELIN now has mfg plants in China, LOL!

~

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
This is very true! I just took my mother-in-law's $100,000 2007 Winnebago to a consignment lot and they wouldn't take it since it had six 2002 tires on it.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Before you check the date check where the tire are made.If they are made in China replace as soon as you can.China tire are junk DON'T BUY THEM.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Copperlisa
Explorer
Explorer
If you've ever seen what a tire that blows does to the side of a 5th wheel, you're a lot more inclined to be checking those dates. We picked ours up for a song, knowing it had come through an auto auction. Before it went on the highway, it went to the shop for bearings, brakes, and tires. Sure enough, the tires were 8 years old. Not a chance we wanted to take.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
93mastercraft wrote:

We discussed this for a while and we talked about how that most of the RV manufactures have these chassis sitting around for a while and outside before they actually build the camper. Well I can accept 6 months but not 2 to 4 years!

Don't believe the chassis are sitting outside with tires on them. Watched a Jayco assembly video, the chassis didn't even have axles (or tires) on it until it was brought in and the assembly process began. But, your point regarding tire aging is well taken.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
Especially check the dates when buying an old used RV! When I bought my old 1989 I did not know about date codes. The tires LOOKED ok, about half tread on them, no sidewall cracks....anyway I drove it 900 miles home no problems. After learning about date codes here I checked mine... 19 years old!! They were dunlope made in Japan.
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I am getting closer to the truth, Keystone actually responded to my e-mail and found out my unit was manufactured in April of 2009. So, 2008 tires are not out of the realm of possibility. But still, I know I got a few that were made in the beginning of 2008. I need to go check the date codes again. This still does not explain why one was 2006. Could be speculation, but I would not put it past the dealer to have switched it. I know, I know, I will get flamed for saying that, but these days you never know what goes on in the back lot.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Tire info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

NICE! Extracted this:

DOT code: All tires for use in the USA have the DOT code, as required by the Department of Transportation (DOT). It specifies the company, factory, mold, batch, and date of production (two digits for week of the year plus two digits for year; or two digits for week of the year plus one digit for year for tires made prior to 2000). Although not law, some tire manufacturers do not
Tire manufactured in 10th week of 2001
suggest using a "new" tire that has been sitting on the shelf for more than six years (Ford Motor Company) or 10 years (Cooper Tire citing a tire association recommendation).[citation needed] JATMA, the Japanese Automotive Tyre Manufacturers Association recommends that all tires be inspected at five years, and all tires that were manufactured more than ten years previous be replaced.[17]

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tire info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
Where will you find the date code on the tires?

It's a 4 digit code on all tires. it will contain the week and year. All tires sold in the US that roll down our wonderful highways will have a date code on them. Thanks to the NTSB!

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Where will you find the date code on the tires?

93mastercraft
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Despite Keystone's size and market position they seem to be very tire challenged!

Chris

Yeah, I hear ya, It's sad to say, I think Keystone is manufacturing challenged!!! But people keep buying their products. I guess the old saying goes, if you build it, they will come.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Despite Keystone's size and market position they seem to be very tire challenged!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021