cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chucking?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
As I research more & more I keep learning & the latest thing is chucking?
What the cheapest way to prevent it?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
125 REPLIES 125

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Concrete interstates cause chucking.

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
I have annoying chucking when running at constant speed on fairly smooth roads. I have an Andersen hitch, shocks on trailer, MorRyde pin box, air bags on truck, 24% pin weight and I till haven't figured it out. Trailer is level within a few inches at worst case. Sometimes it is just the combination of truck/trailer and in my case it has been impossible to find so far.
Good luck!
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
A trucker once told me to grease the hitch plate to stop chucking. It didn't make sense because I think of grease as a lubricant so in my mind it should make the chucking worse. It doesn't it stopped the chucking with my old RBW hitch. The trucker explained it this way; the grease due to viscosity and pressure helps lock the hitch plates together and provides shock absorbing by reducing slippage of the plates/hitch pin.

My current B&W Companion hitch hasn't had any chucking issues in the 10 years I've been using it. It appears B&W has designed the hitch to eliminate chucking.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
My Voltage has a slight, annoying chucking while we are at a constant speed on the interstate. Trailer has the Trailair pin box. The other day I helped deliver a new Voltage to a customer and it was equipped with the Mor-Ryde pin box. I didn't feel any of the chucking with the Mor-Ryde. I'm real tempted to change pin boxes.

What hitch are you running?

Many are having chucking with Curt hitches as the head pivots several inches below the kingpin connection.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TrailAire and it does a great job minimizing chucking. However air pressure is very important. I found that when it is underinflated the chucking is more noticeable. Also the shock absorber must be in good working order. Like most shocks they wear out. Oil leakage is generally a sign of failure, but not always. Like all shocks. BTY TrailAir has two verisons one with and one without a rubber damper like the MorRide. I have the one without and is probably the reason why air pressure in the air spring is more critical.

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced my trailair pin box with mor ryde. hate to say but not much chucking at all now. Next addition is shocks to the trailer. and may be a single jaw hitch instead of double jaw

MarkTwain wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

Buy a good Air hitch.

X2

My trailer is light in terms of the pin weight percentages suggested here AND it is slightly nose-high; however, I rarely experience chucking which I attribute to having an air ride hitch.

Also, regarding adjustment of the brake controller to solve the problem, that is not possible with the integrated controller on my 2015 2500 HD. I have it set on the maximum setting now, and there is no way to adjust the timing of trailer brake application. So some setups, such as mine, could not prevent chucking by adjustment of the brake controller.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Chucking is caused by the trailer and TV going at a slightly different velocity because of uneven road surface. It is minimized by dampening like a shock absorber does with springs bounce. It is called dampening factor. It can be minimized with trailers towing by rubber dampening like MorRide pin box or air spring shock absorber combo like TrailAir. The air spring/shock absorber method is the most effective if the air pressure and shock absorber is selected properly and is in good working order. The idea is to get the dampening factor to one that eliminates overshoot.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the brake control adjustment! Have the trailer brakes set to hold pin back, as it is during movement down the road.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
My Voltage has a slight, annoying chucking while we are at a constant speed on the interstate. Trailer has the Trailair pin box. The other day I helped deliver a new Voltage to a customer and it was equipped with the Mor-Ryde pin box. I didn't feel any of the chucking with the Mor-Ryde. I'm real tempted to change pin boxes.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Since you don't own a 5th wheel then don't worry about it until you get one. Not all 5th wheels have a chucking problem. And some are worse than others. It also depends on the truck too. I've read comments from others that own the same 5th wheel as I do and they report a smooth no chucking towing experience, but they have a different truck than I do.
You can always change the king pin if needed after you buy one.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
First you have to know what is making your combo have chucking.
A truck/GN or 5th wheel trailer can have chucking for several reason regardless of hitch brands. And even some have had the issue with a air ride type hitch.
Now having said that.... a individual may do something to fix one of the many reasons for a combo to have chucking problems and it may work for his combo.
My point is what works for Bobs combo usually doesn't work for Joe's combo.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
i thought chucking is what a woidchuck did :h

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
This:

http://www.demco-products.com/rv-towing/glide-ride/

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MarkTwain wrote:
Blanco1 wrote:

Buy a good Air hitch.

Did you read the OPโ€™s last statement?

#1. Pin weight at least 20% of 5er weight more likely about 22%.

#2. 5er towing level, the puts equal weight on both axles.

#3. Shocks, good ones on the 5er, great ones on the TV. You will feel the rough ride of a 5er in the TV.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"