cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cougar High Country Tires

LakeEffect
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 High Country 291rls. It came with ST 225 75 R15 "D" tires, rated at 65psi.
I called my local tire shop and they stock Carlisle Radial Trail RH in that size but in the "E" 80psi rating. I Have the stock 6 bolt aluminum Keystone rims. The guy at the shop said they would be fine. Have any of you Keystone owners upgraded to the "E" tires?
They can order the "D" but I would like the upgraded tire if the rims can handle it.
Sorry to start another tire thread!
2011 Cougar 291 High Country
2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2 Kayaks, 2 bikes, golf clubs and hiking shoes
Suzuki V Strom 650
Cody, Yellow Lab/Brittany mix
17 REPLIES 17

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
LakeEffect wrote:
Me Again,

So 80 psi it is!
Thanks....

Good!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

LakeEffect
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again,
The tire shop told me that 6 bolt rims would be ok with the LR E tires.
But you got me thinking, since I now have the trailer home. I went out and pulled off the spare and checked it ( which I should have done in the first place). They are stamped for the E rated (2830lb) load rating.
So 80 psi it is!
Thanks....
Suzuki V Strom 650

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
LakeEffect wrote:
Well, I went with the Carlisle LR E. Going to run them at 70-75 lbs.
Heading out on a trip to CO, TX, FL then back to MI in the spring. If I have any problems with them I will be sure to post.
Thanks for everyone's input!

Did you obtain the weight or pressure rating from the rims while they are off? If they are not rated to 80 pounds inflation, then the tire shop created a mis-application of the tires they sold to you! As Jimnlin has pointed out, Carlisle calls for full sidewall inflation to be within your warranty. A reliable and knowledgeable tire shop should be attuned to mis-applications of tires/rims.

You might be OK while in your local area, as you can return to this same tire shop. However out on the road you could have a difficult time getting warranty service.

You would have been much better off biting the bullet and upgrading to 16" rims, as 15" ones on a trailer that size are very problematic!

At any rate, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip, and that the Radial RH work out, as somewhere/someday we need some good ST tire news.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
LakeEffect wrote:
Heading out on a trip to CO, TX, FL then back to MI in the spring. If I have any problems with them I will be sure to post.

FastEagle

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
LakeEffect wrote:

If you have issues with them under warranty don't tell Carlisle you under pressured their tires. Their explicit about using max sidewall pressure to satisfy their warranty.

This from Carlisle website on tire warranty;

Under inflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure. Low inflation pressure elevates tread temperature, especially as speed increases. A tire can lose up to half of its air pressure and not appear to be flat. Check inflation with a quality tire gauge. Operation of atrailer tire that is 30 percent under-inflated can reduce tire lifespan by approximately 55%. An underinflated tire creates abnormal tire flexing and excessive heat causing the following:
– Tire damage and failure.
– Ride and handling disturbance.
– Reduction of tire life.
– Decreased fuel efficiency by as much as 10 percent. Driving on tires with too much air is also not recommended. Over-inflated tires are more likely to cut, puncture or fail by sudden impact.

-Maintain air pressure at the maximum PSI recommended on the tire sidewall.

The Warranty is void if the tire or wheel fails due to damage from improper inflation pressures, exceeding the maximum speed limit, or overloading the tire beyond the maximum load capacity stated on the sidewall."
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

LakeEffect
Explorer
Explorer
I did have them balanced, the shop said they seldom balance trailer tires. They did it at no charge.
Suzuki V Strom 650

LakeEffect
Explorer
Explorer
Suzuki V Strom 650

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
SkiSmuggs wrote:
I had 5K on my Tow Max LR-D tires prior to the start of a 6K trip to the west. I ordered Maxxis LR-E tires from Amazon, had them mounted AND balanced. I ran with 70 psi which gave me more margin than the LR-D at 65 psi and didn't have to worry about my rims.

I'm a little confused now. I checked Amazon and the LR-E tires come up as Carlisle tires. Which did you get, Carlisle or Maxxis? Maxxis comes up as Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Trailer Tire - 225/75R15 BSW. AM I reading all this correctly?
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
SkiSmuggs wrote:
I had 5K on my Tow Max LR-D tires prior to the start of a 6K trip to the west. I ordered Maxxis LR-E tires from Amazon, had them mounted AND balanced. I ran with 70 psi which gave me more margin than the LR-D at 65 psi and didn't have to worry about my rims.

Did you happen to check the rims for their psi rating when you changed the tires out? The other option is to email Keystone and provide them with the trailer VIN and they can usually tell you most anything about the trailer as built.

I am in need of tires after almost 2 years and over 10,000 miles on my original Towmaxx tires. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I am back and forth between upgrading to the tire you are using and swapping out to 16 inch wheels so I will have more choices.

I'm getting analysis paralysis. I like the idea of going to 16 inch. More tire choices including LT tires, more availability while on the road, cooler running, etc.. Down side is initial cost of buying 5 new wheels.

I wish I could make a decision and move on 😞
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

therink
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you spending $$ on decent tires, pay a little bit extra and have them balanced.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Jimmie2
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a Tow Master blow out on my 2012 Cougar HC last Thursday on my way to a campground. The TPMS monitor started to beep right after I heard the "bomb" go off. So now I'm in the process of replacing all tires most likely with the Maxxis tires LRE.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
when I bought my TT I had the wheel bearings done and installed "E" tires on it. I think when they make the TT's they put tires on them that are rated to carry the TT empty or dry weight. face it boys and girls, building a TT is not rocket science. that is why you have to fine tune them when you get them home.

F4whlr
Explorer
Explorer
Had ST225/75R15 LR/D China bombs on my '09 Cougar, changed out to Maxxis Radials only upgraded to LR/E. I've since changed again to Maxxis ST235/80R16 radials with 100 psi new wheels (not aluminum) best thing I ever did !
F4whlr
2009 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2004 Chev Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4.10
Prodigy B/C
K&N F/I air intake