cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curt 5th wheel adapter

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone using the Curt 5th wheel adapter? Just traded trucks and have a gooseneck ball so was thinking of a way to use it. Just wondering how these adapters work for others. Have a Pro Series hitch that I think would fit on it. Also looked at the Andersen hitch, read some good and bad on it. Biggest problem seemed to be damage to truck bed.
The Curt seems to be a better solution. Think I read Blue Ox makes an adapter also. Any ideas would be appreciated.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
14 REPLIES 14

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
DannyA wrote:
Yes that is it.
Just was wondering if anyone had used this with good or bad opinion.
Cheaper to buy this than the instillation of hitch I have.

I used one of those while RV transporting, with a Curt 16K slider, no issues other then the sloppy fifth wheel hitch itself. The adapter plate itself was solid.
2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
DannyA wrote:
Is anyone using the Curt 5th wheel adapter? Just traded trucks and have a gooseneck ball so was thinking of a way to use it. Just wondering how these adapters work for others. Have a Pro Series hitch that I think would fit on it. Also looked at the Andersen hitch, read some good and bad on it. Biggest problem seemed to be damage to truck bed.
The Curt seems to be a better solution. Think I read Blue Ox makes an adapter also. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I took out my gooseneck ball and installed a Curt 24K...no need for the ball.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have looked at it but not going with it for two reasons. One it's heavy and two they say don't use a sliding hitch with it. I imagine this is because as the hitch slides backwards all of the weight will be on the rear of the adapter and make it bend the bed, and/or the adapter.
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Champion adapter on mine and would buy it again. It clamps onto the ball itself. I love the way the jaws lock on. Very easy to hook up.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I am using the Curt fifth wheel adapter for my fifth wheel prep package. I have my Q24 bolted to it and it works great. It is heavy, but has handles built right into the assembly. Highly recommend it.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

CampbellDaycrui
Explorer
Explorer
I called Pullrite this week about using this exact adapter with their Superglide and was told that it was tested and that it broke. It was NOT recommended for use with their hitch. A few hours later I got an email response from them to the same query and was told it was OK........

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
DannyA wrote:

I used the Curt X-rail & Curt turn over ball gooseneck hitch until going Andersen and that's what is staying in my truck. .I used both a BW & a Reese on the rails.
Its HEAVY but gives a clean bed when not towing. I don't remember exactly but its capacity is 20K or maybe 22K pounds As said earlier, you must order based on what "turn over ball" you have. The Curt version uses 2 pins & is round shank where BW is square & one pin.

hblosser
Explorer
Explorer
I have one on my truck and I've towed a 15,000 pound trailer 20,000 miles without any problems at all. One thing I really like is that when you remove the hitch and adapter, your bed is completely empty. There are no rails left behind.
2017 Chevrolet 3500HD High Country DRW Duramax/Allison
2015 Montana 3610RL Fifth Wheel

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of positive reviews on Amazon and Etrailer. I believe it's rated for 20k lbs so use it and enjoy your rig. Do you have the B&W Turnover ball or the Curt gooseneck hitch in the bed? You will need to know the brand of your Gooseneck hitch before you order your X5 adaptor.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that is it.
Just was wondering if anyone had used this with good or bad opinion.
Cheaper to buy this than the instillation of hitch I have.
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this what you are talking about?

Pull ball out of bed and then adapter plate slips into ball area (round or square shank) then you can mount a conventional hitch

If you have a hitch that will match up/clip into rails why not use it.....adapter plate less expensive then new hitch set up and it is a conventional 5th wheel hitch
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
DannyA wrote:
Maybe I'm not making it clear as to what I'm talking about.
Adapter drops into gooseneck hole. Adapter has rails just as I have now and my regular 5th wheel hitch fits on it. Only difference is rails are not connected to frame. To have my rails mounted is going to cost $500 and rails will be in the way, this costs less and can easily be removed.
Maybe this is clearer as to what I'm asking. Sorry if it was unclear.
Thanks for any help.

OK, I now understand what you are talking about. For a small lighter trailer this might be ok, as long as you are not worried if it dents your truck bed. Oleder the truck the better chance of having thicker metal in the bed. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I'm not making it clear as to what I'm talking about.
Adapter drops into gooseneck hole. Adapter has rails just as I have now and my regular 5th wheel hitch fits on it. Only difference is rails are not connected to frame. To have my rails mounted is going to cost $500 and rails will be in the way, this costs less and can easily be removed.
Maybe this is clearer as to what I'm asking. Sorry if it was unclear.
Thanks for any help.
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
DannyA wrote:

Check with Sabre and see what they say. Many trailer manufacturers with not warranty the use of them, as they add stress to the 5th wheels overhang frame. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021