cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desert set-up pictures

bukuinc
Explorer
Explorer
I've been going out to the desert for quite a few years, and am always looking to add to/change up my camp set-up. Right now its really basic. I love getting ideas from other peoples camps and putting my own spin on them. I'd be interested in seeing some of your set-ups, especially if you have something unique, or more well thought out than I do.
36 REPLIES 36

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with others here that an old wash machine tub is the way to go. It gives off a lot of heat all around and burns more efficiently with the mixture of air that it gets. I have used them for 25 years or more.

I always had the big ones that I put in my trailer with the desert buggy and quads. I found that after I sold all my toys plus the trailer that is was a pain to take that large tub in the motor home.

So I started looking for an alternative to having it but found that nothing worked as well that wash machine tub until........

I found this. It is a wash tub from a compact machine. The cooking grate from a Weber Smokey Joe fits perfectly.

As you can see it is smaller,13 in. across VS 17 in. on the big one and 14 inches deep VS 17 in. on the big one. It stores easily in my rear compartment. I even found a canvas bag that it fits in so it doesn't make any mess while back there.

It still makes a helluva fire and the firewood fits just fine.

The son in law, daughter and grandkids now do the Toy Box thing and I just kick back, grab a Long Neck and watch the excitement....
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Macs Dad wrote:
Ok I'm a little disapointed in all of you for not taking notice of one of the most important Desert Set Ups items jackxclan has in his picture, on, or should I say in the table. Really, sheep que and clothese washers is what your noticing. LOL. jackxclan what the heck is that anyway.

Always like the washer drum idea for a fire pit and have freinds who have used them. Having the holes in them makes a big difference in the surrounding headt getting to you.

But now that I saw bb's link to the drum fire pits, I may just check those out. Really cool. Nice find bb.

Drum pit is what you see, what you don't see is:

Music system
Lighting
Food trays
Huge pile of firewood
Pour your own drink bar
Lost dog lookout tower, we seem to lose one almost every trip
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

jackxclan
Explorer
Explorer
Macs Dad wrote:
Ok I'm a little disapointed in all of you for not taking notice of one of the most important Desert Set Ups items jackxclan has in his picture, on, or should I say in the table. Really, sheep que and clothese washers is what your noticing. LOL. jackxclan what the heck is that anyway.

Always like the washer drum idea for a fire pit and have freinds who have used them. Having the holes in them makes a big difference in the surrounding headt getting to you.

But now that I saw bb's link to the drum fire pits, I may just check those out. Really cool. Nice find bb.

:B Nice cold Long Board

graphite 2018 2500 long bed duramax
blue 06 Ragen fa 3405 800 watt 4 channel JL audio, 800 watt 1 channel orion mono block,6x9 mbQuart, 6.5 infinity and 10 inch kicker sub
red rzr 900

HOOLIGAN # 385

Macs_Dad
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Weekend Warrior SL2805
20505 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.0/410 Gasser
2008 Polaris RZR 800 With +6 Long Travel
2012 Kawasaki KX 250F
1990 Kawasaki JS 550 Jet Ski

Johnny_H
Explorer
Explorer
offtohavasu wrote:
You may want to be careful with the stainless steel tubs. I don't think they are as thick and the heat may burn through them quite easily.

The SS ones are great and no they do not burn thru. They will however turn a very pretty red with a good hot fire using mesquite.
Johnny & Cindy
Missie - Yellow Lab
Bubba - Rescued pup
Bopper -Rescued pup

jackxclan
Explorer
Explorer
McKenziek wrote:
Camorhino wrote:
I thought you were.......:B

Well, between us 3 we might get a fire started, lol.

WTH one of us forgot the gasoline?

graphite 2018 2500 long bed duramax
blue 06 Ragen fa 3405 800 watt 4 channel JL audio, 800 watt 1 channel orion mono block,6x9 mbQuart, 6.5 infinity and 10 inch kicker sub
red rzr 900

HOOLIGAN # 385

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
Speak for your self flatlander, I taught Survivorman everything he knows.....;) (now, before I get flamed, this is a joke)

McKenziek
Explorer
Explorer
Camorhino wrote:

Well, between us 3 we might get a fire started, lol.
2005 Monaco Diplomat

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer

McKenziek
Explorer
Explorer
jackxclan wrote:
Yeah I haul it to most trips saves wood when its a small group and I smoke some fine meat on it with the lid on.
( the lid from a Webber Kettle fits perfect on top)

Listen to Jax, he is the desert camping Guru:B
2005 Monaco Diplomat

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this the other day, pretty cool idea Firepit
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
Mustang, check your PM's

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
Camorhino wrote:
I'm looking for one of those new fangled stainless steel ones. That way I can polish it all out and be the coolest dude in camp......
I used an old disc blade out of my dad's junk pile, and put pipe collars on the tub and the blade, with a short length of tubing for height. One leg, one blade, it all drops inside the tub to travel, and a 22" replacement charcoal grill top from Home Depot fits perfect on top to cook those camp goodies.

I had it all figured out even found the right size pipe out in the scrap pile now I have go look for disc blade.I think I have one lol!
I guess I will be able to tell if its plastic when I start welding on it ? By how much it smoke's.
Gary

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to be careful with the stainless steel tubs. I don't think they are as thick and the heat may burn through them quite easily.