cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just buy a 5th wheel?!?!?! What did I get into?

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
Some background.
Been camping all my life. We recently sold our travel trailer that was sitting on some land we owned. We sold it with the land because I had no way to tow it hence why it sat at that land. Well, that was 4 months ago and since I bought a new half ton truck shortly after selling the land, we got the itch to buy a camper that we could actually go places with. So we went to the dealer with full intent on buying a mid 20's footer travel trailer. Well, thanks to a good salesman and my negotiating wife we got a great deal on a 2018 Arctic Wolf 265dbh8 fifth wheel. I've never owned a 5th wheel!!!!

My truck is a 2015 Chevy Silverado half ton, crew cab with 3.73 gears (10,900lb towing capacity)
I guess my biggest concern is towing this trailer with this truck. Any insight as to what I'm getting into?

Thanks
Matt
-2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L Max Trailering Package 3.73 Rear gearing
-2018 Arctic Wolf 265dbh8
80 REPLIES 80

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"get at a min 3/4 ton supper duty"

Geeze, it goes without saying it needs to be a "Super Duty". 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
easy answer is this.

1/4 - 1/2 ton trucks are great to fetch the groserys. move a row boat.

want to tow something.

get at a min 3/4 ton supper duty with a diesel set up from the factory for towing.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
webejpn wrote:
. . . i was surprised that as my truck sat as is, she only dropped about 3". So it actually leveled my truck out perfectly in terms of front to rear wheel well space.
Without knowing how much suspension travel you have empty, 3" of drop may or may not be a good thing. On some trucks 3" of squat/sag is enough to cause the axle bump stops to be in constant contact with the axle housing.

Kudos for all the research you did. Unfortunately, the one thing you didn't check/research prior to purchase, which is critical, were your realworld axle weights (i.e., CAT scale ticket). Granted, how well it drives and the amount of squat/rear end sag, may be a good subjective warm and fuzzy. However, for those who put some credence or trust in the manufacturer's ratings, the objective results of a CAT scale ticket easily trump any subjective observation.

YMMV.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Realize you will be well over RAWR when hitched up with full gray and black tanks. You have 120gal of waste tanks. That's over 900lbs of extra weight. I'm in the same boat. I take it slow moving to the dump station and crawl over the speed bumps.

I have used Timbrens for years. I do not know how much sag I would have without them because the Timbens were installed before I bought the FW. I moved them over from my old truck prior to trade.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Too much for the truck. Your first mistake is listening to dealers.

Did he say the dealer said he could tow the fifth wheel trailer with half ton truck?

Forest Rivers brochure advertises that unit as being for "light duty" trucks. Likely the dealers folks were running with that.

What I'm getting at is the OP never said "the dealer said I could tow this"
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 it is not an Artic Fox, that would be quite different.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Cedarcityman
Explorer
Explorer
I believe he is buying an Artic Wolf not an Artic Fox. I have been looking at the Artic Fox and they are heavy.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
webejpn wrote:
jarata1 wrote:
No way will it tow that plus you bought one of the heaviest brand 5th wheels one good thing is trade in is great on that model

Please enlighten me on which rigs are lighter:

Artic fox are made for year round camping that is why they are mostly in the colder climates.You can't find them out here in the east I wish you could I would by one.Most all the other 5th wheels in the same length will be lighter

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
webejpn wrote:
I appreciate everyone's feedback/opinions on this matter. I will be the first to admit that unlike every other single purchase i make, i did not research the snot out of it (my wife hates that i do this).

I went to the dealership last night to make things final. I straight out told them what i had learned on here, all the folks i called yesterday (GM, Forrest River direct, couple local GM dealers, etc.). They gave me absolutely no hassle that if i wanted to call the deal off, i could without any implications. But they also gave me the opportunity to hitch it up and take it for a spin. If i didn't feel good about the way it dropped my truck or how it handled, again, i could kill the deal. So we hooked her up....boy, if i get nothing out of this other than seeing the ease and simplicity of hooking up a 5'ver.....DANG THAT WAS EASY!!!! I can see how this is a marriage saver!!
Anyway, i was surprised that as my truck sat as is, she only dropped about 3". So it actually leveled my truck out perfectly in terms of front to rear wheel well space. Took her out for a spin and she handled like a champ. Now remember, all i have to compare to is TT and flat trailers with wheelers on them.

So needless to say, i felt comfortable and confident with proceeding with the deal.

To the folks that said, go ahead and try it and see what YOU think...thanks for your encouragement.
For the naysayers...stay tuned to my future postings to see how it pans out and if i fail miserably feel free to use me as the "I told you so.." example

Then do it obviously your not listening and made up your mind GOOD LUCK

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats! I think you will enjoy the truck and the way it pulls. Any softness in the rear end can be shored up wth some Airbags or some Timbrens and airing your tires up to Max psi.

Be safe.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
Get some Firestone airbags keep it light and be safe. Enjoy your new rig!

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
webejpn wrote:

Anyway, i was surprised that as my truck sat as is, she only dropped about 3".

With that much drop you may want air bags, depends on how much suspension travel is remaining. Remember even though the dry pin is like 16%, the gear you add will be front heavy. That floorplan has minimal rear storage and lots of forward storage. You could easily have 30% of the added weight show up as pin weight. So the rear will drop even more.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
webejpn wrote:
I appreciate everyone's feedback/opinions on this matter. I will be the first to admit that unlike every other single purchase i make, i did not research the snot out of it (my wife hates that i do this).

I went to the dealership last night to make things final. I straight out told them what i had learned on here, all the folks i called yesterday (GM, Forrest River direct, couple local GM dealers, etc.). They gave me absolutely no hassle that if i wanted to call the deal off, i could without any implications. But they also gave me the opportunity to hitch it up and take it for a spin. If i didn't feel good about the way it dropped my truck or how it handled, again, i could kill the deal. So we hooked her up....boy, if i get nothing out of this other than seeing the ease and simplicity of hooking up a 5'ver.....DANG THAT WAS EASY!!!! I can see how this is a marriage saver!!
Anyway, i was surprised that as my truck sat as is, she only dropped about 3". So it actually leveled my truck out perfectly in terms of front to rear wheel well space. Took her out for a spin and she handled like a champ. Now remember, all i have to compare to is TT and flat trailers with wheelers on them.

So needless to say, i felt comfortable and confident with proceeding with the deal.

To the folks that said, go ahead and try it and see what YOU think...thanks for your encouragement.
For the naysayers...stay tuned to my future postings to see how it pans out and if i fail miserably feel free to use me as the "I told you so.." example

Glad you liked it and I hope it works out for you. Remember that it was =empty=, so how it handles, and what it does to your truck will be very different once you start putting stuff in it. 3" squat, while not excessive, is almost sure to get you flashed at night, as that'll for sure raise your headlights' focal point, so be aware of that. I only squat about 2" with my D'max and I occasionally get flashed. I simply try and never tow after dark, but sometimes it simply can't be helped. Good luck and have fun!

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cedarcityman
Explorer
Explorer
webejpn wrote:

I think that everyone including the "naysayers" wish you luck. Please keep us updated, especially when you load up the and take your first trip.
I also hope you give a review of the 5th wheel..... the good, the bad and the ugly.