cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disappointed!!!!!!!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
DH & I were so excited when we bought our new 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS. But after a few months of use we are so disappointed in the Quality! It took us a long time to figure out which unit and company to go with. We decided on Grand Design because we loved the layout and the reviews were excellent. And every time we went thru the units we were impressed! Don't get me wrong we still like the unit just every time we take it out something breaks!! Nothing that cant be fixed just very upsetting to spend a lot of money on a unit and have to keep taking it in for repair!!!!! Just venting!! Tara
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL
59 REPLIES 59

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
richfaa wrote:
We did a complete and in depth PDI with our dealer who was excellent. It actually took two days at over 3 hours per day. It rolled out of the dealers lot with all problems corrected , everything working.

4 months and @ 4K miles later it burst into flames in Quartsite due to a electrical wire and a hydraulic line rubbing against the frame. It was in the underbelly were we could not see it. Poor workmanship, no quality control.It is the thing you can not see that will get you.

It's this kind of stuff, if the insurance companies would go after the mfrs, that might get them to clean up their act. A provable manufacturing defect =should= have the mfr replacing the rig on =their= dime =and= giving you a touch of something for your loss on top of that.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We did a complete and in depth PDI with our dealer who was excellent. It actually took two days at over 3 hours per day. It rolled out of the dealers lot with all problems corrected , everything working.

4 months and @ 4K miles later it burst into flames in Quartsite due to a electrical wire and a hydraulic line rubbing against the frame. It was in the underbelly were we could not see it. Poor workmanship, no quality control.It is the thing you can not see that will get you.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
laknox wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Lantley wrote:
We love to rant and complain but If we took the time to inspect our RV's top to bottom before pulling off the lot 95% of the issues would be found and corrected on day 1.
A new house requires a punch list to make it 100% right an RV does as well.
Being the DIY type helps as well but if your DIY skills are lacking. It becomes more important to do a thorough PDI.

Yeah, well when we went to pick up our new prior fifth wheel the guy that was suppose to do the pdi was sick so we did it ourselves. Took a 2-3 hours. Asked how the keyless pad worked to change numbers. No one knew. Asked how to take off quick attach TV. No one knew. A TV connection wasn't working. They said they would have to take pictures and send then in to get warranty approval! Fixed it myself. Took it home and brakes weren't correct. Took it back to dealer. Said two weeks out! Called in two weeks and they said its fixed. Pick up, no brakes! Heck with them took it to an independent dealer. Cost me $100 to clean all the grease out of the brakes! NMever took it back for warranty work. Fixed a few things my self. . And that wasn't the first dealer to pull that krap. Guess I'm one of those 5%

Personally, Bill, I wouldn't have signed off on it. They want paid, they get it fixed first. (shrug)

Lyle

I agree with Lyle you should have refused delivery. What's the point of the PDI if you are going to accept the RV anyway?

Because the first RV I bought new the the service dept manager was an incompetent lying idiot. Couldn't wind the string on a yoyo! Four trips back forth for work that wasn't fixed and you couldn't tell until your next camping trip. Spent a couple of days in and under it and fixed everything myself. The second RV I knew about pour TV cables and before I left I found a short behind the wall plate and fixed it. Sure and the heck wasn't going to wait two weeks and make another trip so they could send in pictures of stinking TV connector. After the brake deal I figured just another bunch of idiots to deal with. Have to be in some one else's shoes to know the complete story. If you guys want to keep jacking around with an incompetent dealer it's OK by me. If you don't have an incompetent dealer your lucky.
Bought my higher end NuWa used from a private owner. NO USELESS WARRANTY TO DEAL WITH! LOL. So far so good.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

PhoneDude_8289
Explorer
Explorer
We are a year and a half into our "NEW" 2014 Forest River Rockwood 5th wheel. 1st thing the amplifier to the tv wasn't wired correctly, fixed it myself. 2nd thing this one I thought as major, dining slide would not go out. Called coachnet, They told me as long as the slide was in to take it to the dealer. Purchased in Orlando FL, RV is in Texas, could not find a local dealer to look at it without a four to six week wait. Trip ruined so we took it home, a 300 mile trip from where we were, I had a look at it. Broken gear pack under the slide, ordered from FR and within four days had the slide back in operation. My biggest gripe is the cheap tires they put on these rigs. Had a tire that would not hold air. Went to Discount Tire, when they took it off the rim the bead was crumbling. The capacity of the stock tires was just enough to hold the weight of the rv as long as it was hitched up with the pin weight on the truck. Needless to say I replaced all four with a quality heavier tire that will support 20% more than the GVW of the RV. After checking the spare and having to add air to it a few times there is another tire purchase in my very near future. A number of other small things, so far everything was fixed by yours truly. Prior to this unit we purchased a used 5th wheel. The only thing I did to the used unit in three years was to grease the bearings and adjust the brakes.
8289WS
Ram 2500 TCD SB 4WD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
laknox wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
Lantley wrote:
We love to rant and complain but If we took the time to inspect our RV's top to bottom before pulling off the lot 95% of the issues would be found and corrected on day 1.
Being the DIY type helps as well but if your DIY skills are lacking. It becomes more important to do a thorough PDI.

Yeah, well when we went to pick up our new prior fifth wheel the guy that was suppose to do the pdi was sick so we did it ourselves. Took a 2-3 hours. Asked how the keyless pad worked to change numbers. No one knew. Asked how to take off quick attach TV. No one knew. A TV connection wasn't working. They said they would have to take pictures and send then in to get warranty approval! Fixed it myself. Took it home and brakes weren't correct. Took it back to dealer. Said two weeks out! Called in two weeks and they said its fixed. Pick up, no brakes! Heck with them took it to an independent dealer. Cost me $100 to clean all the grease out of the brakes! Never took it back for warranty work. Fixed a few things my self. . And that wasn't the first dealer to pull that krap. Guess I'm one of those 5%

Personally, Bill, I wouldn't have signed off on it. They want paid, they get it fixed first. (shrug)

Lyle

I agree with Lyle you should have refused delivery. What's the point of the PDI if you are going to accept the RV anyway?
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ChopperBill wrote:
Lantley wrote:

Yeah, well when we went to pick up our new prior fifth wheel the guy that was suppose to do the pdi was sick so we did it ourselves. Took a 2-3 hours. Asked how the keyless pad worked to change numbers. No one knew. Asked how to take off quick attach TV. No one knew. A TV connection wasn't working. They said they would have to take pictures and send then in to get warranty approval! Fixed it myself. Took it home and brakes weren't correct. Took it back to dealer. Said two weeks out! Called in two weeks and they said its fixed. Pick up, no brakes! Heck with them took it to an independent dealer. Cost me $100 to clean all the grease out of the brakes! Never took it back for warranty work. Fixed a few things my self. . And that wasn't the first dealer to pull that krap. Guess I'm one of those 5%

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
I was at my local rv dealership looking at new rigs the other day. I was inspecting the Rv we were most interested in and started noticing a lot of broken screw heads and QC issues. The dealers pitch was that the builders pretty much put it on the dealers to finish the unit out. Of course he was trying to pitch his dealership and how they will take care of me, but after reading this thread and looking at numerous RV's that would seem the case.

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new toyhauler in March and my shake down cruise was from Tampa, FL to Milton, Ontario. When we purchased we did a thorough PDI along with an RV tech. We have had only three minor problems - two of which I fixed. The third, I will take it to the dealer to fix when we get back to Florida. So far, we have towed over 2000 miles. This is to say that dealer prep was darn good and the problems that I found are due to shoddy workmanship, something the dealer would not have found on the lot. The dealer is excellent and they appear to do quality work.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
just some added comments to all. It is my opinion that WE AS CONSUMERS, SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO BATTLE TO GET THINGS FIXED THAT WE PAID FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE. I too like others had to adjust my brakes, could i catch that at he PDI, not unless i hooked up and drove it having my co-pilot walk along side as we noticed this later during a trip. As far as simple little things, yes and adjustment of a door after travel or something simple is understandable. slide out motor fall off and twist up wires, tank valves not closing all the way, trim off loose railing at the stairs, loos electrical receptacle and other little things is / are unacceptable. over 40 thousand to get a unit just to take into warranty, unacceptable, time without unit, unacceptable. Like I said earlier, other units years ago were of different quality.

kakampers
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:

Bingo! That's what we did three years ago...haven't had any problems to speak of.
2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
The sad thing is when outfits like NuWa that built quality Hitchhiker trailers not enough people were willing to pay for the quality and they did not make it! So who is really to blame? The manufacturers or the "WallyWorld" American buyers. We are surrounded by sub-par products, but fail to purchase our way out of it. Couple that with corporate greed and we are doomed in the long run. Some of us are old enough to remember "Union Made" labels and what that meant!

Chris

Exactly!!!

Take notice Chris your post gets ignored because it is easier to claim fowl and poor me then accept responsibility. We live in a world where everything is someone else's fault not mine. You all spent your hard earned top dollar on what you paid for, spend an extra 10k with a little less features and upgrade your TV to handle the extra 2000pds. For me personally, like what I got.

To the OP, you did spend the extra and it sticks they used the same cheaper furniture that the mass produced units have. How do you find the fit and finish?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
HighSpeedAluminum wrote:
FWIW. I bought our Grand Design in April. We have been out for three weeks traveling, and so far just a broken TV. I asked her if I could upgrade the TV instead of replacing it. They said sure. I installed it and sent them the receipt. The "check is in the mail for the TV." I noticed the doorstops in the bathroom shower were installed backwards allowing the doors to move quite bit when driving down the road. Was advised about this problem by another grand design owner who said they had the same problem only that they found out the hard way when their's broke. It was a simple remove two screws and put them back in; With the parts installed the correct way. The brakes did not work at all on a trailer that weighs up to 14,000 pounds so I jacked up the trailer and adjusted the brakes. It took a lot of tightening on the brakes to get them adjusted properly. The dealer obviously did not service the trailer before they handed me the keys. Only minor problems for me so far. Hopefully it stays that way!

That nickle-and-dime stuff is probably more aggravating than the major stuff. Really? The door stops put in backwards? Just dumb! Now, the brakes would concern the hell out of me. They =should= have been adjusted at the =factory=, before the transport driver hooked up. I will admit that the dealer would have borne the majority of =my= wrath (and my attorney's) had I had an accident because the brakes were not adjusted properly.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A