cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do you leave your awnings out?

tomthyme
Explorer
Explorer
Morning Folks! My wife and I enjoy getting out in our Cameo as often as we can. However, since we live in the DFW area I find myself a bit timid to leave my awnings out overnight. My main concern is that some unknown storm will come rolling through and rip these beautiful Carefree awnings right of the rig. However, I see many of my neighbors that leave their awnings out even in the rain - assuming there is no expectation for high winds.

What do you do? It would be nice to put them out, string some lights (which we have never done in 4 years) and not worry about it.

Thanks for the feedabck.
Tom
2015 F350 King Ranch Dually 4x4, 22k Reese hitch
2011 Carriage Cameo 37cksls
Sarah (most beautiful creature in the world)
Mickey (105lb golden - good thing he's pretty)
Ashlee (85lb lab - spectacular pal)
Dutch (120lb lab - young one in training)
45 REPLIES 45

banjo
Explorer
Explorer
Carefree makes a couple of different kits to auto retract your awning.
Depending on the awning you have, the cost can be around $80 to $200.
They either use a vibration sensor in the awning, Cheap, or an anemometer, Expensive..
Banjo
2011 3500 DRW D/A CC LB 4X4
2011 Cameo 34SB3

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
In 2001 while camping direct ocean front in Flagler Beach Florida our awning was torn off our travel trailer. We were down highway A1A eating out when a severe storm approached.Unbelievable lighting show over the Atlantic Ocean that evening!!

This was our second trailer but our first ever brand new trailer... a 1998 Coachmen 297RKS high profile wide body 102" Even though the awning was tipped to one side and tied down the rain & wind were so intense the awning couldn't handle the water weight or wind. The awning tube was bent in a U shape and broke the picnic table when it collasped,the awning extending arms were ripped out of their mounts on the camper.

Our Collie ... Morgan looked very stressed out when we got back that evening,normally thunder and lightening didn't effect him.Some leftover seafood calmed him down though.

We no longer leave the awning out when we leave the camper. Insurance covered the awning repl./labor... cost was around $1400.00

A lesson well learned,about 8 other campers lost awnings that same night.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW LB 4x4 QC 48k miles
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT XPS Ribs
2000 Lance 1130
2 Camping Collies (always ready ti go)
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
My Electric awning has 5 positions on each side. If it's nice both sides are at the highest position. if its a little breezy both sides are in the middle positions. If its windy both are in the lowest position. If there is a chance of rain one side will be 2 holes lower than the other and if its raining hard I might drop the low side another hole. My awning is out (unless its snowing) the whole time we are setup.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
crcr wrote:
We leave ours out at night, and during rains (ours auto-dumps water). Also leave it out when leaving if only for an hour or so, unless bad weather is threatening. We don't tie it down, either. However, the campground we always go to does not have any history of damaging winds and sites are very protected by a lot of trees. If we camp somewhere else, I might reel it in more.

I believe the weather patterns where one camps is the biggest factor.

100% what crcr said. The gentle rattle of the brackets makes for a good notification that it's time to roll 'er up.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I have support poles for each arm of my awning and tie those down securely using ratchet straps and dog ties. I've had it out in 35mph winds (actual reports via a weather site the next day). I did ultimately take it in, but it held just fine.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
Last trip out for the year 2013 I left the awning out while we went sightseeing on a beautiful day along the coast of Maine. It was tilted some, but as I found on our return, that little shower we had where we were was a CG gully washer and the insufficiently tilted awning couldn't shed water fast enough. $1850 and intimate discussions with the insurance company, we eventually had a complete new assembly. Traded that trailer this summer so we have an electric awning now. Do I leave it out when we 'wander' - yep, but it is tilted to the max. Do I leave it out overnight - yep, and again, tilted to the max. These tilts are usually against prevailing winds plus I usually tie it down too though the new power awning doesn't have a way to use the standard deflappers I have so they need some design revisiting.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We leave ours out at night, and during rains (ours auto-dumps water). Also leave it out when leaving if only for an hour or so, unless bad weather is threatening. We don't tie it down, either. However, the campground we always go to does not have any history of damaging winds and sites are very protected by a lot of trees. If we camp somewhere else, I might reel it in more.

I believe the weather patterns where one camps is the biggest factor.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is from Texas. We have been fulltime for 4 1/2 years and the only state we didn't leave the awning out was the 6 months we were in Texas. Sure we've rolled it up a few times when high winds were forecast but we found in Texas we spent more time than it was worth and just left it rolled up.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
After frantically trying to put away an (absent) RV neighbor's awning as a gust front came through and nearly went sailing myself - I won't leave ours opened unless we're sitting under it. Also - I'm a light sleeper, and if the awning is out and there's a breeze - I can feel it rocking the RV.

Now, I HAVE enjoyed sitting under it in the rain - watching the grandkids run/splash under the awning runoff point....LOL!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
If we need the protection from sun or light rain it's out. Put away at night if weather is questionable. When we're away from camp any length of times its rolled up.
I've also had to roll it up at night in the rain; not fun
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
We don't really use the awning much. Try to camp in shade when we can. Have never tied it down. Really only open it if we're going to use it directly, and just hit the retract button when we're done sitting under it. NEVER EVER leave it out when away from camp.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
It just depends on where we are and what the weather forecast is. In Texas we put the awning out when we are using it and put it away when we are finished. It's our experience that in Texas sooner and not later the wind will start blowing.

We've spent the summer along the Washington, Oregon coast and now are near Yosemite. We've had very little wind so I just take a look at the weather forecast and let it help me decide whether or not to leave the awning out. Most of the time we've just left it out all the time.

I have all the straps, flapper stoppers, etc. necessary to tie it down and I used to use them. However, when the wind started blowing I worried about the awning constantly. Then, if we got anything serious I would go out and take all the stuff loose so I could close it. I decided that since I can store it or take it out in about 2 minutes that it was silly to go to all the effort needed to stake it out only to be out there in the wind undoing it all so I could go to sleep without worrying about it.

That's our approach - neither right or wrong, just how we do it.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
With a manual awning, if we are staying more than overnight, The awning is staked down if it is out. Especially is we put one or both legs on the ground instead of leaving them attached to the side of the MH. If any question about the weather, roll it up just to make sure. If just rain, I prefer to leave it out to serve its purpose. Always make sure on end is down to drain. We spend three months in one location, and only rolled it up one time. Our site was very sheltered, and with high winds up in the trees, only breezes at the RV, but lots of hard rain.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I agree what good is an awing if you don't use in the rain. I understand those in the south that worry about the wind, just don't get that here in the NW. We use it for protection from the rain and a dry space to get into the 5er.
Ours went out July 28th, and we will roll it up tomorrow August 31st when we leave, wind rattled it a couple times, but nothing serious.
If it rains at night it keeps the chairs next to the 5er dry.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"