Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double-towing and the livin's easy

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

After about two years in the making, research, selecting a 5'er, obtaining the proper license (Commercial Class A combinations with double/triple endorsement), rear camera installed, and having a hitch welded on the rear of the 5'er I finally doubled towed for the first time!!! :C

Super easy, kept it 60 mph and just cruised. I could feel the boat bucking the 5'er a little more than normal, but only on real rough areas or elevation changes (like over passes).

To all the nay-sayers and weight police: I was within all of my weight limits of the vehicle, king pin, and cargo carrying capacity. Drove very well and the boat tracked right behind the 5'er. My 5'er sits a little nose high, once I get that fixed I think it will handle even better.

Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
34 REPLIES 34

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
Attn California bashers:

Double tows with a pickup like this are allowed in CA, bumper hitched lead trailer or 5th wheel. Brakes on all trailer axles, carry chains where appropriate. Correct class of CA license or equivalent license from your place of residence is required.

i.e if you are legal drivig double tow at home you are legal in CA.

WRONG!..:(

In the USA, State Reciprocity *only* applies to Driver's License and Registration.

Length limits are "State Specific".

Do not confuse (state) RV length limits with Federal (Commercial) length limits/regs.

For additional reading, suggest visiting these discussions.....

Escapees thread: "Length Restrictions"

Another SKPs thread: "Over Length"

BTW on the SKPs HDT forum "Big5er" is a Texas LEO - specifically involved with commercial enforcement, etc...:W

BTW - I'm a CA resident, and legally double towed for many years, with 1T truck & class A CDL - long before "non-commercial Class A".

When I no longer had any (work) use for the CDL, I gave it back.
The negatives outweighed the positives...:(

~

^ That is what I am saying - your driver license class is recognized everywhere in Canada and USA through reciprocity. Your vehicle must comply to local dimension and configuration regulations. You may be able to double tow at 75 ft at home but not where no double tow or 65ft is the regulation.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Many states like mine have no licensing requirement for non commercial combination towing. We do it all with a simple class D license.

same here in Nebraska. I have driven by many a state trooper without a problem.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Many states like mine have no licensing requirement for non commercial combination towing. We do it all with a simple class D license.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
Attn California bashers:

Double tows with a pickup like this are allowed in CA, bumper hitched lead trailer or 5th wheel. Brakes on all trailer axles, carry chains where appropriate. Correct class of CA license or equivalent license from your place of residence is required.

i.e if you are legal drivig double tow at home you are legal in CA.

WRONG!..:(

In the USA, State Reciprocity *only* applies to Driver's License and Registration.

Length limits are "State Specific".

Do not confuse (state) RV length limits with Federal (Commercial) length limits/regs.

For additional reading, suggest visiting these discussions.....

Escapees thread: "Length Restrictions"

Another SKPs thread: "Over Length"

BTW on the SKPs HDT forum "Big5er" is a Texas LEO - specifically involved with commercial enforcement, etc...:W

BTW - I'm a CA resident, and legally double towed for many years, with 1T truck & class A CDL - long before "non-commercial Class A".

When I no longer had any (work) use for the CDL, I gave it back.
The negatives outweighed the positives...:(

~

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
b_pilot wrote:
clotus wrote:
Commercial Class A combinations with double/triple endorsement

So why do you need that license for double towing? Someone else said something about a class 3. I have been thinking of pulling a trailer with ATV behind my 5th wheel. I would be about 72 feet long but I know other people do it and don't seem to get stopped, but then maybe they don't admit it.

B_pilot,here in TEXAS, you don't need a "commercial" license BUT, always a BUT, IF the combined GVWR exceeds 26000 you need an " A " non commercial upgrade to your license and max length 65 ft but I think ,don't quote me,DPS doesn't measure the outboard motor sticking off the boat

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Doubles are allowed in AZ without any license endorsements. 65' OAL; 75' with "overhang". ARS requires the lead trailer =must= be a FW; no ball or pintle hitch (including GN). Brakes on any trailer > 3k GVW, so the double can be a small utility trailer < 3k GVW without brakes.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Nice set-up. We have been double-towing since 1993, well before retirement. Towed double from 1993 through 2011 with a Jayco 215SD FW and now with a Jayco HT 26.5 RLS. Have only double towed in Wyoming where they have a, I think, 75' length restriction. Measured mine and I'm about 70' give or take. Only other requirement is that each trailer have brakes and we have that with our boat having surge brakes. Enjoy your set-up, great to be able to take your boat and your home with you when going to the lake.
John A. Lichty

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Attn California bashers:

Double tows with a pickup like this are allowed in CA, bumper hitched lead trailer or 5th wheel. Brakes on all trailer axles, carry chains where appropriate. Correct class of CA license or equivalent license from your place of residence is required. i.e if you are legal drivig double tow at home you are legal in CA.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
If you are referring to section 35401 b., it requires a "truck tractor", which a pickup is not.
I assume it would only apply to the boat's trailer, as the boat is a load, not a trailer.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
b_pilot wrote:

So why do you need that license for double towing? Someone else said something about a class 3. I have been thinking of pulling a trailer with ATV behind my 5th wheel. I would be about 72 feet long but I know other people do it and don't seem to get stopped, but then maybe they don't admit it.

That is the license for California. I think the Class 3 is for Texas

laknox wrote:

Nice! You a River Rat? 🙂

Yup we camp two to three times a year at Park Moabi or more commonly referred to as Pirate's Cove now (Just outside Needles on Ca side).

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Nice set up!
Heartland didn't have a factory tow receiver?
Care to post your Scale Numbers?

Heartland did not have a hitch, at least not stout enough or offered on my line.

Last trip when I was full of water, propane, food, and extra gear I weighed 16180 lbs truck and 5'er (5'er = 8660, truck = 7520). I have not scaled my boat, but it is under 5k with trailer. I towed home so I was 1/2 water, no food/fride, and no firewood so I probably lost about 600 lbs of cargo. I estimate I was right at 20k total combined weight.

We Cant Wait wrote:

You may be within all your weight limits BUT did you take an overall length measurement and verify it's legal in the state you'll be towing it?

I am at 67' counting the swimstep, 65' without. The legal length is 65', however there is a lesser section that allows for 75' if both trailers are under 28.5' and has a load extending out past the trailer, which I fall under.
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
clotus wrote:
Commercial Class A combinations with double/triple endorsement

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
clotus wrote:
Hey guys, After about two years in the making, research, selecting a 5'er, obtaining the proper license (Commercial Class A combinations with double/triple endorsement), rear camera installed, and having a hitch welded on the rear of the 5'er I finally doubled towed for the first time!!! :C

That is really cool! I like the setup. I've considered something similar, but with much less for the tandem part of the tow, only a Yakima trailer with 2 kayaks and 2 mountain bikes.

Check back in from time to time. Let us know how many miles you rack up in this configuration and how things go.

Safe Travels.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

pressure_welder
Explorer
Explorer
Do it all the time with our Rig and wouldn't have it any other way! Also have a class 3 licence to do it legally though. We are 17500 all loaded up camper/boat and 75 feet. I must say the addition of the aux fuel tank was the best decision I've ever made as most stations aren't really equipped for easy access with double towing rigs
2015 RAM cummins 3500 dually Limited
2018 Montana high country
crestliner sportfish

2014MegaRam4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I’m looking at doing the same with a 2 door jeep wrangler, what’s your total length? I know my concern is the length as I’m going to be a few feet over the length limits here in Texas

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What happens when you hit a state that does not allow double towing?
I didn't know CA allowed this setup.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker