cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving Lessons

murphyw
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I live in the NY area. Just bought a 5th wheel. Anybody know a good place to get driving lessons? Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
Camping World in Chattanooga has a driving instructor by the name of Ralph Miller. He travels around to Samborees in different states and gives free lessons. My wife took his course and loved it. Can't tell you much about the NY area, but give him a call and ask. For the guy asking in Atlanta, Ralph is only two hours away and well worth the drive.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

fedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the metro Atlanta, GA area. Any recommendations for travel trailer instruction? My first RV. Thanks,
2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
2007 Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if your FW is currently parked in a CG or at your own property. If you are in a CG I would try to find a retired local 5th wheel camper in the same CG that has a lot of experience pulling his rig around the country. Have some conversations with him and maybe even have him go with you on a little hour or two road trip in your rig. I have met some 60 - 70 year old full time 5th wheel RVers who have been pulling their rigs around for tons of miles.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

gma77
Explorer
Explorer
Wo own the RV Driving School and we do have an instructor in NY. If we can help, feel free to call us.

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Driving Lessons

Lots of good reviews on these folks.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, There are some out there. I know of folks who have been taking them when they get their first trailer, be it a FW of TT. Unfortunately they are in BC Canada so the exact school won't do you any good. They had gotten the name from the trailer manufacturer, which is based in BC of course. Calling a local tractor trailer training school for a referral might not be a bad place to start.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just keep off the local Parkways!!!!!:S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget about the height!!! I stay on truck routes whenever possible even if it's the long way.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest thing to remember is to make wide turns, a fiver tracks inside the trucks track. My wife and I watched a fifth wheel take out a stop sign this weekend while camping. He not only hit it once but managed to back up and hit a second time. The third time he went wide and made it. Not sure what damage was done to his fiver as he never stopped to look.
Backing up, pull farther foward than you think and once it starts to turn start correcting because it turns quick.
Find a big parking lot and practice, practice, practice. We took ours out several weekends in different areas to learn how to pull ours. Good luck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, other than tractor-trailer driving school, I would check with local rv dealers.
Personally, a large school parking lot on a Saturday would work for me.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
Find a wide open parking lot, so you can practice backing up and get a feel for how it handles.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI