cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRV Gear Driven Slide

DRVMN
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchase a 2013 DRV 38TKSB3 which has gear driven slides for the bedroom and vanity. The bed side which includes a washer and dryer really struggles to open and close. When it closes the side of the slide closes to the front of the RV lacks about 1.5 inches from being totally closed.
Has anyone dealt with this problem themselves? Wondering how hard it is to access the drive motor and track assembly that the slide rides on.

Any advice from someone with the same issue would be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

kydale
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with Ed Fry was quite different. I was having trouble with my Scheintec vanity slide. I called him we talked. I took my rig up there, went over what I needed done with the repairman. We kept a n touch via emails. They found some things that needed fixed I wasn't aware of, ask my ok to fix. When we went to pick it up they showed me everything they did. Two repairmen spent the morning with me.they offered some tips on things I needed to keep an eye on. The problems that DRV is having with rigs they check on mine. Found some that needed repair and fixed them. The bill I expected to be a whole lot more than it was. They have a brand new repair facility with eight FHU sites adjacent to the facility with a 24 hour lounge with free coffee and water. People that call and make demands may have a different experience but I will keep recommending them to anyone that asks.

DRVMN
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like there definitely should have been a consumer action recall on these things. I have read and read about them and its nothing but horror stories from everyone.
Rolling Retreats is 900 miles from me so that is a tough option for fixing this at the moment. What did Slade do when he rebuilt it for you? I am going to take my coach to a Lippert service agency here in Minneapolis and would appreciate any insight on what they did to yours that seems to be lasting.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
I second what Cummins12v98 said. We have a 2012, had the motors replaced but eventually that didn't help. We had Slade at Rolling Retreats rebuild ours 3 years ago, no problems since. This is the Schwintek channel slide system sold to several manufacturers in 2012 and 2013. There should have been a class action suit, all have had problems.

DRVMN
Explorer
Explorer
Where is Lippert's service center?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I would not go to DRV for this and I don't believe that Ed Fry is competent."

OH you mean Mr NO!???

Like I said Rolling Retreats knows how to fix this pathetic issue.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

R12RTee
Explorer
Explorer
kydale wrote:
Door side basement on ceiling. If you start messing with that you better know what you are doing. Sounds like you may need new gears. My advice send email to Ed Fry at DRV ask him to schedule you up there to repair. Don't be in a hurry to get it in up there. If you can leave it tell him that. And be nice. Don't make demands.

I would not go to DRV for this and I don't believe that Ed Fry is competent. They are the ones that screwed up in the first place and they will not fix it correctly. Faulty installation is a problem with the Schwintec system and instead of going to DRV take it to Lippert and have it done right. I had my Schwintec system entirely replaced by DRV and it failed 200 miles down the road. Since Lippert replaced that system it has been flawless.
2021 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA
2021 Ram 6.7 HO

kydale
Explorer
Explorer
Door side basement on ceiling. If you start messing with that you better know what you are doing. Sounds like you may need new gears. My advice send email to Ed Fry at DRV ask him to schedule you up there to repair. Don't be in a hurry to get it in up there. If you can leave it tell him that. And be nice. Don't make demands.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DRVMN wrote:
I recently purchase a 2013 DRV 38TKSB3 which has gear driven slides for the bedroom and vanity. The bed side which includes a washer and dryer really struggles to open and close. When it closes the side of the slide closes to the front of the RV lacks about 1.5 inches from being totally closed.
Has anyone dealt with this problem themselves? Wondering how hard it is to access the drive motor and track assembly that the slide rides on.

Any advice from someone with the same issue would be appreciated.

If you are anywhere near Elk City, OK I would highly suggest contacting Rolling Retreats and have them rebuild your system.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

DRVMN
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know where the Schwintek controller is located in a DRV 5th wheel?

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Do some reading on the Schwintec slide mechanisms. They can be pretty fussy even when they work properly.

B.O.

Yes they can and that's why I won't buy an RV with that system on their main or large slides. Their junk at best!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

DRVMN
Explorer
Explorer
As I look at it closer the lower front aluminum gear rail has a spot where 3 or so of the teeth are really chewed up. Must have an issue with that gear and track. The top track looks in very good shape. I am assuming that motor must be functioning or it would not move.
I am going to have to open it up to get a better visual appraisal.

The Lippert YouTube videos are very helpful in understanding how it works and how to access it.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do some reading on the Schwintec slide mechanisms. They can be pretty fussy even when they work properly.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Wackum
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2013 36RSSB3. When I open the front two slides it is still attached to the tv .
On one of my trips to the factory was instructed to due so. There reason for doing it that way was when disconnected from tv a slight bind might occur. Been doing it that way since new and have had no problems.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have the Schwintek system. I have the same and find that the slides work much better when the trailer is plugged into shore power. On battery alone they struggle somewhat.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE