cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Effect of weight in rear of 5er

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any estimating rationale for determining how much effect adding weight BEHIND the rear axles of a 5er has on the pin weight? I would imagine it's perhaps close to 1:1, but not sure.

My fresh water tank is completely behind the rear axle of my Reflection 367BHS. Right now, Im at 22% pin weight (with no water in my fresh tank). Plan on carrying ~10-15 gals of water (~80-120 lbs), so just curious if that will result in an offset an equal amount of pin weight or what?

I'll probably weigh with water to make sure but just curious what others have experienced.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS
10 REPLIES 10

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
(Weight in pounds)x(distance from center of tank to center between trailer axles) = (distance from center between axles to hitch pin)x(pounds off pin weight). This is a simplification and therefore only a rough estimate. And I agree, if tank is only a short way behind axles, 100-200 lbs of water is negligible.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If you read up on Weight and Balance, that airplane pilots have to know, you could compute the exact amount of weight effect on your pin.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys...

Makes a lot of sense thinking about it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
So your going to have 100# of water +/- regardless of where it is. Really don't think you have much to worry about where it's going to be placed and it's affect on the TV. We've dry camped w/ 60 gallons both in old coach and new one. Went 100 miles one way and to be honest, never noticed a difference on where the water was.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
As long as it's close to the axles, likely won't have any noticeable impact.

But:
- Take the distance from the center point of the axles (combined no matter the number of axles) to both pin and center of water tank.
- Divide water tank distance by pin distance.
- Multiply that by the extra water weight.

You can do this for any weight added to the trailer (works for bumper pull trailers also just replace pin with the ball socket distance)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
With our 29' Cardinal, I could notice a pretty big difference when dry camping when the fresh water in the very rear was moved to the grey(2) and black tanks ahead of the axles. So not only did I remove weight from the rear of the axles, I added weight ahead of the axles. 60 gals of fresh plus recycled beer! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will make very little difference.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
If your fresh water tank is immediately behind the rear axle, its center is likely 6 feet or so from the fulcrum between the axles, and 20 feet or more from the pin, so a ratio of 6/20, ie 1/3 or less.
100 pounds of water, about 12 gallons, then would reduce the pin weight by 30 pounds or likely less.
Note, though, that if you put a LOT of weight in the rear you increase fishtailing.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You need to calculated the ratio of rig in front of axles to the amount behind the axles. Weight of fresh water would need to be from centerline of water tank to distance front axle to rear of rig.
I would guess that it would be 10-15 percent. Not enough to drastically change pin weight.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Having loaded many flatdeck trailers with freight and loaded many stock trailers I've found its certainly not a 1:1 ratio.
Keep in mind a trailer doesn't act as a teeter totter with a single pivot point.
A tandem trailer axles can be 6'-7' between the farthest front and aft spring hanger....and not all trailers have the same rear overhang or pin distance to the trailers first axle or the same trailer length.
Also placing weight just behind the aft axle or out to the end of the frame.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides