cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EFI onan

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone considered going to an EFI generator on their toy hauler instead of the carb unit?? I have discussed getting an EFI one when looking at ordering a new hauler. Dealer said not a problem.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
23 REPLIES 23

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Has anyone considered going to an EFI generator on their toy hauler instead of the carb unit?? I have discussed getting an EFI one when looking at ordering a new hauler. Dealer said not a problem.

Yes, I wouldn't order/get a new TH without an Onan efi. They're not that much more expensive than the carb version.

They're impressive for many reasons. The efi control unit makes adjusting the genny simple, with just the push of a button or 2. No more complicated mechanical Carb/governor system to fug with. More accurate and consistent power supply from what I've seen.
Better fuel consumption rate, cleaner burning, easier starting. No carb problems ever again... Its like Onan finally came out of the dark ages...

EFI Onan's do NOT have the varnish problem in the very small non-serviceable jets and air passage ways of the throw away carbs in the 5500 carb models.

When going new, EFI Onan, only way to go imo. It will pay for itself first carb/fuel pump/etc, replacement job most will eventually need if you get the carb model.

Don't get me wrong, the carb models still work very well if taken care of correctly. Just if you have a choice, its a no brainer imo...

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

taken
Explorer
Explorer
One other thought. I'm not sure if your dealer has a plan for a return line but there is a way that's a lot easier than drilling the tank which would involve dropping it, draining it, drilling it, and then cleaning out (hopefully) all the metal shavings from drilling. Purchase this kit and install it in the tanks rubber fill neck. This will turn a few hour job into a matter of minutes job...

Link to product on Amazon.

Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Your other option is to go to a LPG powered generator. I never had problems with my carbureted Marquis 5500 in my toy hauler because we used it often, but now I have a little 2500 LPG model in my truck camper and am enjoying the cleaner burning fuel with less residue.

LP gensets burn through lots of fuel. I can understand having one on a standard 5ver but on a toyhauler with dedicated fuel tanks, it just doesn't make sense.

An LP gen isn't an option for me, I know they run cleaner but as Taken said the amount/cost/handling of fuel for them isn't an option.
The fact that an EFI gen would be easier to start, better economy and less chance of gum up and the fact the dealer is good with installing one makes sense to me.
Thanks for everyones thoughts.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Bedlam
I wasn't thinking of ordering a new one with a unit. My thought was he could do an LPG conversion on the existing Onan and add tanks or just carry spares. My truck camper has 60lbs of LPG, but I carry an additional 100 lbs in my enclosed trailer I can swap out or use for outdoor cooking and fire pits. If you're bumping into the limit of your generator capacity, this is not a good option since it derates the output on LPG.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Your other option is to go to a LPG powered generator. I never had problems with my carbureted Marquis 5500 in my toy hauler because we used it often, but now I have a little 2500 LPG model in my truck camper and am enjoying the cleaner burning fuel with less residue.

LP gensets burn through lots of fuel. I can understand having one on a standard 5ver but on a toyhauler with dedicated fuel tanks, it just doesn't make sense.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
edatlanta wrote:
My only thought would be that an EFI system will clog up just like a carb if not run frequently to keep fresh gas in it.

Carburetor clogging typically takes place in the float bowl and jets which you have neither of on an EFI version
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

taken
Explorer
Explorer
EFI actually does not clog up as easily as a carb and would be a great upgrade. I've been considering swapping out my carb 5500 for an EFI. While doing it, I'm thinking of going up to the 7k EFI as it's the identical size and would swap right in. If your RV manufacturer is willing to do it from the get go, it's a no brainer upgrade and I wouldn't think twice about it. For me to do it after the build, I have to change to an EFI fuel pump and add a return line. Both are easy enough to do though. Then I'll eBay/craigslist my carb unit and try to recover some cost... Anyways, I'd def go for it if I was in your position...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
My only thought would be that an EFI system will clog up just like a carb if not run frequently to keep fresh gas in it.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010