cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Brakes question

slotsavegas
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing the brakes on my 35' Fifth wheel this year.
I have purchased the entire 12" X 2" 7K, brakes including backing plate.

My question is what is the best way to make the electrical connections so that they do not come loose ? I don't know if I should solder and then use shrink tape, or solder and use wire nuts, or something else. Primarily keep the connection solid, dry, and prevent accidental grounding or shorts.

Anyone that has other suggestions or things to watch out for would be appreciated. I have good mechanical experience, and have replaced brakes before, just never electric.
11 REPLIES 11

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
slotsavegas wrote:
One last question that just came up. I see that BOTH wires on the NEW brakes are black colored. Since they are both the same, I assume this means there is no issue with polarity ?
BOTH of the wires on the original are white, but again don't appear to have any polarity issue.
Can anyone confirm or offer suggestions for insuring they are connected correctly for best performance.

It don't matter which one you use.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Me working on my trailer, I would only solder, then heat shrink.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

slotsavegas
Explorer
Explorer
One last question that just came up. I see that BOTH wires on the NEW brakes are black colored. Since they are both the same, I assume this means there is no issue with polarity ?
BOTH of the wires on the original are white, but again don't appear to have any polarity issue.
Can anyone confirm or offer suggestions for insuring they are connected correctly for best performance.

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
slotsavegas wrote:
I am replacing the brakes on my 35' Fifth wheel this year.
I have purchased the entire 12" X 2" 7K, brakes including backing plate.

My question is what is the best way to make the electrical connections so that they do not come loose ? I don't know if I should solder and then use shrink tape, or solder and use wire nuts, or something else. Primarily keep the connection solid, dry, and prevent accidental grounding or shorts.

Anyone that has other suggestions or things to watch out for would be appreciated. I have good mechanical experience, and have replaced brakes before, just never electric.

Solder and use wire nuts. Another suggestion is to replace the wire going from one side to the other side of the axle with a bigger wire. I used #12 on mine and soldered all the connections. I could feel the improvement of the braking of the trailer the next trip out.

Dave2001
Explorer
Explorer
I twisted all wires together, then inserted them in a crimp connector and crimped it. All wires went into one side of the crimp connector. I then soldered the wires in the crimp connector. Then I used heat shrink tubing over the connector. The tubing was about 4 inches long with the crimp in the center. While it was still warm, I closed the open end with a pair of pliers, then folded it back over the crimp connector and put heat shrink tubing over it. That should help seal the open end. Didn't think of liquid tape as mentioned earlier.
2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 32SKD
2001 Dodge 2500 Quad cab, 4x4, HO, 6spd, 4:10

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Use heat shrink crimp butt connectors. Get the right size, step down if needed. These will make a permanent waterproof connection good in all conditions.

That's what I used when I changed brakes on my last 5er.

Never use wire nuts on a vehicle. They aren't designed to handle vibration and are a fire waiting to happen.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Use heat shrink crimp butt connectors. Get the right size, step down if needed. These will make a permanent waterproof connection good in all conditions.

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
They make crimp connectors with sealer in them. Or solder and use heat shrink that has sealer in it. No wire nuts!!!!! OEM sometimes uses crimp connects where both wires go in the same end. Should be ones that have sealer in them.

My first choice on our baja bugs is bare wire crimps with a quality crimper and my second choice is to make a solder join and in each case I use dual wall adhesive shrink tube works so far for me.

Chris
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
There is a debate on soldering versus crimping (crimp nut, butt connector), and I've done both.

Regardless of which you choose, I always do this;
Smear liquid tape or rtv over the connection (over the solder joint or over the crimp) then slide heat shrink over the connection before the goop dries. Apply a heat gun starting in the middle and work your way to each end. This will squish the goop through the shrink and out the ends, covering the connection and surrounding area, and will result in a watertight connection that is much better than shrink alone.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make crimp connectors with sealer in them. Or solder and use heat shrink that has sealer in it. No wire nuts!!!!! OEM sometimes uses crimp connects where both wires go in the same end. Should be ones that have sealer in them.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
i would solder and use wire nut then wrap with electrical tape
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map