cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended Warranty

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Big Horn and dealer offered me a extended warranty for 5 years for $1800. Has anyone had any experience with a camper extended warranty if so what about Cornerstone RV warranties. Not sure if I should go for the extended warranty.

Thanks Dennis
14 REPLIES 14

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help I think I will go for the warranty

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
We had the RV Shield extended warranty on our 06 Montana and used it without problem. It is like any other premium we pay hoping we never use the policy but glad that we have it if we do.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd do alot of reading also before signing also. There may be a clause in there about depreciation so that if that $4000 Dometic 4 door fridge goes after 3 or 4 years they might say, oh well, lifespan expected may be 5 years, we are only paying 20% on replacement.

I did have that Dometic $4000 fridge go after 5 years use & many thousands of miles of bouncing back & forth across the country. The attitude on my part was, Oh well, guess I got my moneys worth, & swallowed it.

Same with the truck. Preventative maintenance has so far saved me from any huge failures.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
Whether you decide to purchase this "insurance policy" on your RV or not, I would advises that you utilize the factory warranty for the first year (or two on many models) and THEN make your decision about the insurance. If you find yourself having a lot of repairs it's a "no brainer" but if you don't have any warranty issues it's probably a waste of money. Just remember there is ONE party that almost NEVER looses money....the insurance company. If you can afford to pay for your own repairs there is a HUGE chance you'll come out ahead.

X2, remember an insurance company (what this is) is in business to make money and are usually good at it meaning they will have many clauses and conditions to keep them from paying. Keep your money and use the real warranty that the manufacturer supplies.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

hmar1
Explorer
Explorer
It comes down to one thing, are feeling lucky?

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you ever heard of this company? Will they be around when you have a claim? (Many of them go out of business and keep your money) What items DON'T they cover?
I would wait until your factory warranty runs out then decide..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You have to weigh the cost for yourself, but when we purchased our Outback in Sept 2013, the dealer sold an extended type of warranty. We've never had to use any extended warranties,-ever, so we quit doing them on everything.

But when the dealer explained what it covered, he said something that made sense, that changed my mind this time.

Consider the electronics in your camper today, that did not exist 20 years ago, 10 years ago, even 5 years ago. The technology in your television alone far exceeds anything from days gone by. As does all the other electronic systems in your camper.

The cost of a new refrigerator will run $2500, in the event it fails after the initial 1 year warranty. How about the motors in the slide-outs and the cost to replace them.

Face it, the electronics in your new RV is far more sophisticated and advanced than anything before. Do you really want to pay the price for replacement if something failed after the initial warranty?

Like I said, we quit doing extended warranties, but after think about this a few minutes, we took the warranty and paid the price.

Yes, it IS a gamble. You are gambling you will need it and save you money. They are gambling you will not need it, and they make money! It is a crap-shoot to say the least, and only a risk you can live with yourself. No one can make this decision for you.

IllinoisCheeseh
Explorer
Explorer
Extended warranties are a bit of a gamble. In general, I usually don't get them on anything. Did not get one on our last trailer and never needed it. Did get one on the used diesel F-350 I bought and was glad I had. Saved me over $4k in repair charges. Paid for itself and then some. Took the extended warranty on the new diesel because of experience with previous truck and knowing how expensive diesels are to repair. I do not plan to take it on the new fiver, but do plan to buy the extra 1 year manufacturer's warranty that Forest River offers for $150. After that, I'm gambling that I can fix/replace most things myself that might go wrong and come out ahead.
2012 Keystone Outback 298RE (Soon to be traded)
2014 Columbus 365RL (On order)
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie, CCLB, DRW, 6.7 CTD/Aisin
Equal-i-zer WDH
B&W Companion RVK3600

Jim4929
Explorer
Explorer
What's going to likely fail in 5 years, on a brand new 5th wheel, that'll cost you $1800+ to repair? Probably not a good option.

For me it was replacing shackles in Whitehorse Yukon, a burned out motor in the self leveling system, awning replacement motor. All expired within 6 months of the dealer warranty. For me it has paid for itself. That being said as a general rule I don't buy extended warranties, this being the exception. I knew when I purchaed the unit I would be putting on a lot of miles for a lot of years. Trailers are built from the inside out and the major cost of repairs is labor. If an appliance needs to be replaced sometimes windows have to be removed to get things inside and out. If you plan on limited mileage with a limited holding time, I wouldn't do it. But for me I've got over 20,000 towing miles and over six months occupied time when all the systems were in use and that is likely to double or triple over the next six years of my warranty life. Oh...one other thing. When it breaks it will likely be at the worse possible time.
2011 GMC 3500 Sierra Diesel SRW
B&W Patriot Hitch
5th Airborne Pin Box
Laredo 321BH

"Have Trailer, Will Travel"

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
For the most part extended warranties arenโ€™t a good move. A few people with bad luck come out ahead while most would be better off setting the money aside for possible repairs and they wonโ€™t spend it all. You have other options, too. You can buy later, or from a third party, and sometimes from the manufacturer. Although Iโ€™m not sure how common the latter is in the RV industry.

Itโ€™s more of a peace of mind thing than a good financial move, but if youโ€™re inclined to go for it itโ€™s critical you read the fine print like a lawyer. Between the deductibles, caps, and exclusions, like โ€œAโ€™ isnโ€™t covered if it fails because of a failure of โ€œBโ€ you may have less coverage than appears on the surface. Lastly, thereโ€™s serious money in selling the warranties and you can negotiate the price like anything else.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Whether you decide to purchase this "insurance policy" on your RV or not, I would advises that you utilize the factory warranty for the first year (or two on many models) and THEN make your decision about the insurance. If you find yourself having a lot of repairs it's a "no brainer" but if you don't have any warranty issues it's probably a waste of money. Just remember there is ONE party that almost NEVER looses money....the insurance company. If you can afford to pay for your own repairs there is a HUGE chance you'll come out ahead.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ask for a copy of the agreement and read the whole thing before you sign anything.
It may have a lot of exceptions.

Greentreena
Explorer
Explorer
seems a little steep. I have an 8 year extended warrenty that was 1600. FYI, my Dometic RV fridge was 1900 installed. My first big win on an extended warrenty.
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Mega Cab 4x4 SRW Laramie - Big & Black
Full delete, Torque Technolgies programmer, Sinister EGR delete
Hijacker Auto Slide/ P3
2006 Triple E Topaz 310RBXL
Wife, 2 kids (Murphy the dog - RIP friend)

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
What's going to likely fail in 5 years, on a brand new 5th wheel, that'll cost you $1800+ to repair? Probably not a good option.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King