cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel slider hitch options

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a 2001 F350 crewcab with a 6'9" bed. I thought my mind was made up on a Pullrite superslide, Now after talking to a few people I'm thinking it might be to heavy? I'm already half boinic with 2 fake hips, fake knee, and back problems. So I'm going to need a hitch that is a little easier to take in and out when I'm not using it. I also have been told the Pullrite can be tough to hook up if your not completely level?
So now I'm leaning towards a manual slider hitch which I'm guessing is much lighter in weight and might be easier to hook and unhook? I also would like to know how often you guys actually use the manual slider? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Kevin
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW
67 REPLIES 67

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to give the rail version of the Anderson a try. It looks like the best overall solution I've found. Plus they're made right here in Idaho and I like supporting a local company when I can.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
..But I know that i would fail to slide a manual hitch on a dark rainy night after driving for 14 hours, so I went for the safe bet...

Yep, yep and yep...! My reasoning as well....
Better safe than a smashed up cab.

Yes it is heavy, and to pull it out of my truck, I use a motorized chain fall hanging in my garage...
A couple of times I had issues hooking / unhooking on non level spots...but found it was an issue with the spring latch/lever set up inside the hitch pin area that locks and unlocks the pin. Once replaced for some 30 bucks...good to go and no issues.

I too would buy another one of these hitches...in a heartbeat.!

Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
I don't have a choice, If I'm not pulling the trailer then the bed of the truck needs to be empty. I have to many other things I need the bed of the truck for..

Many do but why does it matter if it weighs 150 or 250lbs? I'm not gonna lift either by hand by myself!!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:S
An Anderson is not a 5th wheel hitch, not pin captured by jaws or bar.

It is a ball hitch so fits in the definition of a Goose Neck, just with a raised ball.

It adapts a 5th wheel to a ball hitch AKA as goose neck. It
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
That language refers to how that particular Andersen hitch mounts in the bed of the truck. It mounts to a turnover ball rather than standard bed rails.

Their standard bed rail model has the same gooseneck wording but I do understand your comment. It's also not a conventional 5th wheel hitch and can't be properly labeled as such as well. Class of its own without a name!

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
Me Again wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Andersen is NOT a GN adapter. Why do so many struggle with this concept???

Because Andersen calls their hitch a gooseneck.

Not really! Chris

No really! On Andersen's website they refer to their hitch as a gooseneck.

From rail mount Ultimate 5'er hitch users manual:
Part #3200 Gooseneck Mount

Is there a different hitch being referred to I'm missing?

That language refers to how that particular Andersen hitch mounts in the bed of the truck. It mounts to a turnover ball rather than standard bed rails. That does not make the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection a gooseneck hitch. There is no vertical pillar coming down from the trailer/pinbox to connect to the gooseneck ball in the bed of the truck. The trailer connects to a raised ball at the top of the Andersen "pyramid" style hitch.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:

Not really! Chris

No really! On Andersen's website they refer to their hitch as a gooseneck.

From rail mount Ultimate 5'er hitch users manual:
Part #3200 Gooseneck Mount

Is there a different hitch being referred to I'm missing?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:

Not really! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
laknox wrote:
Kevin O. wrote:
is it friday yet? wrote:
Too bad you didn't live closer. I'd sell you my Reese manual slider cheap. I'm looking to buy a Pullrite Superglide 18k for our new trailer. I'm sure the Anderson hitch is good but I feel like the hitch should be heavy, 32 lbs. doesn't seem strong to me to haul a heavy 5th wheel.
I thought the same thing until I watched this strength test video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMW-ynhTatA

Not dissing the Anderson, but this is under lab conditions, not towing conditions, and only with vertical pressure. I'd love to see them put this on a "lab truck", then really start abusing it with fore/aft loads as well as vertical loads. It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I'll stick with my Companion. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle

This has been beaten to death, and a bit of a mute point IMO as your not going to find any reports out there of these hitches failing in the real world

It has beaten to death, only, by the ones that have never owned one . You won't find much on the negative side with the Andersen.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
tcamper wrote:
I agree with "Me again". I bought my electric hoist at Harbor Freight for about $70 and I also use one finger to lift my hitch.

I just back in and position under the hoist....raise the hitch ....... drive away and then lower the hitch onto a cart.

One finger!!

Thats all fine ,and dandy if you are home. I too have the same hoist in my garage ,and its great to install ,and remove that monster of a hitch ,and picture frame adapter I have.

The big issue for me is I'm a fisherman, and spend several weeks away from home with my inflatable pontoon boat , I need my hitch out of my truck to transport my equipment back ,and forth from the lakes. I have to take it apart or get someone to help remove it. The Andersen would be a perfect solution for me. Just need to make the move.

Several here on this forum are pretty adamant about the Andersen, but as usual none of them have ever owned an Andersen. For the most part most who do have the Andersen love them.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
mileshuff wrote:
Can most any 5'er be converted to gooseneck for use with the Anderson without any issues? Have seen on some forums that some manufactures void frame warranty if used with a gooseneck. I haven't a clue so just asking!

The Andersen (spelled with an "e") hitch is not a gooseneck. A small adapter bolts to the standard fifth wheel king pin on the pin box. It is usable with all but a swiveling pin box.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Can most any 5'er be converted to gooseneck for use with the Anderson without any issues? Have seen on some forums that some manufactures void frame warranty if used with a gooseneck. I haven't a clue so just asking!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMW-ynhTatA

That video is an advertisement designed to show you what the manufacturer wants to show. It doesn't account for dynamic loading and tests only in compression and no forces other than in the X axis. IOW's, the video doesn't show typical loading that would occur while towing. While I haven't been involved in testing the Anderson I have done so with other hitches. The tests involve adding an XYZ 3+ axis force transducer to the ball and monitor forces in at least 3 axis while towing. Not saying the Anderson isn't a perfectly fine hitch but the video doesn't provide much information in my opinion.