cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fireplace

Rockchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to search and really could not find an answer...
I see alot of new units have a fireplace in them.. how much heat do
these actually give off? any issues? How much propane do they use compared to the furnace?

Thanks... RC
68 REPLIES 68

FKT4387
Explorer
Explorer
Nice Thanks for the pics.

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
I put one in our 5th wheel and we love it i took off the cabinet on the left side and picked up some matching trim from Home Depo we love it and it heats well i would love to send pic but have no ideal how to add photo on this site
enjoy life while you can:D

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Dutchmen Colorado 5th wheel 37 ft

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
try one more time for 3rd pic. of friends.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bird Freak wrote:
I can get you pics of mine when I go to the lake but it will be a while. On mine I just removed the doors under the tv and cut the cabinet opening out to install the mantel sides that came with my fp.
On my brothers we mounted the fp in the center under tv and used shelves removed to build in around fp.[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cxTe2Q6l.jpg[/IMG]

DW had a couple of pics. First with gray frame is ours. Gray texture was what DW wanted. I included tv pic to show expanded metal I use to let heat escape from back of units.
Second was a friends I did with sheet metal fillers. can't get brothers as he is camping somewhere.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Love ours. Puts out good heat
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can get you pics of mine when I go to the lake but it will be a while. On mine I just removed the doors under the tv and cut the cabinet opening out to install the mantel sides that came with my fp.
On my brothers we mounted the fp in the center under tv and used shelves removed to build in around fp.[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cxTe2Q6l.jpg[/IMG]

DW had a couple of pics. First with gray frame is ours. Gray texture was what DW wanted. I included tv pic to show expanded metal I use to let heat escape from back of units.
Second was a friends I did with sheet metal fillers. can't get brothers as he is camping somewhere.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

FKT4387
Explorer
Explorer
Birdfreak:

You said you installed a couple. Do you have pictures of the end result? I am looking for ideas. Did you have any issues with them? The only thing I had was to put a new plug on it because it was too short. Everything else except the finish is done.

Thanks

Frank

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I'm chiming in again but with more information. We were one of those that thought they were unnecessary and frivolous when we didn't have one. Then we purchased our fifth wheel that came with it. On our first trip out in the fall to West Yellowstone, Montana, we used it at a FS CG with electric hookups. Wow! It kept the inside of our unit warm allowing us to save on propane by not running the heater. It is definitely worth it.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
justme wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
I would bet most folks who don't like them do not have them. There will be a few exceptions.

I would not be without one and like mine very much because it takes the chill off on cold nights and is pleasant to watch with the TV. Could you provide some data to backup your assertions.
What would you call data and did you understand my post? I installed mine and 2 others for friends and love it. Therefore I have experience with them. Some folks on this forum don't like them but have never had them, No experience with them just their opinion. Now for the exceptions part. I saw one poster here that did have one and doe's not like it. As for data, I have no clue what you would want. I have seen no surveys done on this.
Did you get it that time? LOL
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
cpaulsen wrote:
I installed one in my 5ver.....use it constantly. Have not used the furnace at all.

Love our fireplace in our Cameo. We use it in the A.M. and other times when the temps are above freezing and to assist the furnace when below freezing. I copied the above because it is something you can not rely on to heat your entire RV. Don't forget when the temp goes below freezing it is very important to use the furnace to heat the basement and keep water lines from freezing.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
I would bet most folks who don't like them do not have them. There will be a few exceptions.

I would not be without one and like mine very much because it takes the chill off on cold nights and is pleasant to watch with the TV. Could you provide some data to backup your assertions.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
My wife wanted one, we got one. The flame doesn't do much for me. But I have discovered one thing. We always put an electric heater in the RV when at the house to keep the inside above 40 deg. Now it's built in. Just turn it on set the temp to abt 40 on low power (750W) and leave it alone. If the weather is not going below freezing, turn it off. Makes it convenient.

of course you are wearing out a $$$$ appliance instead of a $17 one.
bumpy

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
My wife wanted one, we got one. The flame doesn't do much for me. But I have discovered one thing. We always put an electric heater in the RV when at the house to keep the inside above 40 deg. Now it's built in. Just turn it on set the temp to abt 40 on low power (750W) and leave it alone. If the weather is not going below freezing, turn it off. Makes it convenient.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Randu wrote:
Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:
They are electric heaters at up to 1500 watts. Ambiance is good. .......

Turbo nailed it.

Got my trailer used and it was one of those things that I didn't think I wanted or would want to pay for. Just a nice electric heater I thought. Found out that I really like it as it heats the whole trailer in temps down to the upper 40's. Good to have the assist to the gas furnace as it gets colder. Is kind of relaxing to watch the lights flicker. Randu

Randu double nailed it!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton