cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FIrst Excperience Towing 5th compared to TT

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing my travel trailer for 8 years and other small trailers a little longer. I am really accustomed to hitching and unhitching by myself and travelling long distances with it. After towing a 5th wheel I am really impressed with the simpler and more robust hitching process (that you can see from cab) and the stability is like night and day. Not that I ever had my TT dangerously swaying down the highway but it never tracked as solid as the few 5th wheels I have towed. One thing I happily miss is hooking up WD and sway bars and that loud creaking noise from the WD when driving through a quiet campground while turning.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851
33 REPLIES 33

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I was lucky, our first camper was a 5th wheel but I towed many trailers. There is no comparing the the way a gooseneck or 5th wheel compares to a bumper pull.
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
brett_robin wrote:
A little trick I like to use while hooking up by myself is using a telescopic magnet. Get a strong one and place it on the top of your ball. Back your truck up, tailgate down, when it tips off you are lined up over your ball. Of course that is if you are using a goose hitch.

Very few use a goose neck...
The great thing about a fifth wheel hitch, many can see the hookup point,out back window,or rear view mirror.

I love the stability .
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
AlmostBoatless wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Made the switch last fall and will never go back to a TT. I have seen the light...

We will be hitching for the first time in a couple of weeks. Had a TT and now have a 32' 5er. Very nervous about backing up and learning this. Any advice appreciated!

Only thing you will miss about the TT is backing up! Just take your time with the 5er. It does not respond as quick as a TT.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

AlmostBoatless
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Made the switch last fall and will never go back to a TT. I have seen the light...

We will be hitching for the first time in a couple of weeks. Had a TT and now have a 32' 5er. Very nervous about backing up and learning this. Any advice appreciated!

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good for you. We've done the same thing. With 30+ years dragging tagalongs around this country we downgraded to a 5er. Was comfortable pulling TT's & never had any worries with em. With that said, we enjoy pulling our new 5er.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stromberg tailgate!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I won't ask but that is something I double check every time. Actually I was going to compose a before and after hitching checklist so I don't forget anything. Coming from aviation I have found that the mind/memory is infallible and repairs on new truck/trailers are expensive so I want to minimize them.

Bamaman1 wrote:
Just don't forget to drop the tailgate before backing the truck under the trailer. And drop the tailgate when unhitching. (Don't ask how I know.)
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RedJeep wrote:
I just switched from a dually with 40' fifth wheel to a class A gas. I sure miss the stability of the fifth.

Enjoy!

Followed friends with their 40' Class A from Palm Springs to Phoenix in 45 mph winds. When we arrived i was relaxed since I had a very smooth controlled ride. He said he was fighting it the whole way and looked very tired!

There is a reason actually MANY reasons they say "stepping up" or "upgrading" to a 5er!

Only ONE thing better about a TT is they are easier to backup!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

brett_robin
Explorer
Explorer
A little trick I like to use while hooking up by myself is using a telescopic magnet. Get a strong one and place it on the top of your ball. Back your truck up, tailgate down, when it tips off you are lined up over your ball. Of course that is if you are using a goose hitch.

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Just don't forget to drop the tailgate before backing the truck under the trailer. And drop the tailgate when unhitching. (Don't ask how I know.)

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
I just switched from a dually with 40' fifth wheel to a class A gas. I sure miss the stability of the fifth.

Enjoy!
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Hope it never happens...you and me both since these trailers aren't mine and any damage I pay for lol

I have made some sharp turns without any problems but one day want to go to a large lot and turn to the limit both in forward and reverse so I can see how sharp I can turn.

i5trucker wrote:
Part 3, first experience jack knifing a 5th wheel. LOL, just joking, hope it never happens.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
With the wheels further back they have a different pivot point than I am used to but am getting used to it. Actually hauling different trailers from 25' to 37' so learning a lot.

Grandpere wrote:
Glad that it is going so well, can't wait for part 2 "First Experience Backing a 5th compared to TT".
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
rowekmr wrote:
I have been towing my travel trailer for 8 years and other small trailers a little longer. I am really accustomed to hitching and unhitching by myself and travelling long distances with it. After towing a 5th wheel I am really impressed with the simpler and more robust hitching process (that you can see from cab) and the stability is like night and day. Not that I ever had my TT dangerously swaying down the highway but it never tracked as solid as the few 5th wheels I have towed. One thing I happily miss is hooking up WD and sway bars and that loud creaking noise from the WD when driving through a quiet campground while turning.

Just made the switch myself after 47,000 miles and 10 years of towing a TT. only towed the 5'er a couple of times, but I have the same thoughts as you. I Really like the 5'er
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion