cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Valve Stem Issue.....

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm upgrading to G rated tires and I ordered metal valve stems rated at 110psi. The problem is the rubber on the back of the stem wont go thru the valve hole on the wheel...

I also have rubber valves with metal sleeve rated at 80psi that fits... The E rated tires that came on my 5er were rated at 80psi so I'm thinking my G rated tires at 80psi will be much better than the E rated at 80psi. I'm not really wanting to go even 100psi on these stems rated at 80psi. What do you think....

I do have some other metal stems on the way today but they will probably be the same rubber. They make a 100psi rubber stem but once again the base is too wide. I did check my wheels and they are rated at 110psi.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
19 REPLIES 19

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
afaik they are all standard to fit .453 or .625 hole. Are they made for the .625 and you need .453?

http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/valve-stems-components

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
abc40kids wrote:
That eBay price is good but you should also be able to pick them up at a Car Quest or Advance Auto Parts or most auto parts stores.

That's a shipped price with no tax. The local car shops start around $4 ea. plus tax. Price them sometime, if you can find them.

I did find them, local retail $6.00 each ( Northern Va.) my cost $1.00 each thru one of my jobbers. There is some REAL JUNK valve stems on EBay, not saying yours were but there have been knock-offs with the same part numbers. I'll prefer to shop at the local parts store, not an eBay fan.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
abc40kids wrote:
That eBay price is good but you should also be able to pick them up at a Car Quest or Advance Auto Parts or most auto parts stores.

That's a shipped price with no tax. The local car shops start around $4 ea. plus tax. Price them sometime, if you can find them.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer

rescue7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks
Don & Lori
2014 Montana 3725
2015 Ram 3500

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
TR416. According to the man at Tredit they will fit the Sendel wheels on my trailer. $7.55/4 on ebay.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

rescue7
Explorer
Explorer
Could you share part number for stems.

Thanks

Don
Don & Lori
2014 Montana 3725
2015 Ram 3500

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the help, I did find the correct metal stem that had the two size gromets. I called the company that supplied Keystone the wheels, he gave me the part number and found it pretty quick. Forgot what my last fifth wheel looked like with G's.... E's should never be used on any heavy fifth wheels.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
ksg5000 wrote:
laknox wrote:
First question; are your =rims= rated for 110 psi? If you're only upgrading tires, your rims may not handle the G's, hence the difference in stem hole size. Rims should be stamped on the back side of the bead or in the "valley" inside, which means you'd have to break a tire down to check.
Lyle

Never owned trailer/fifth wheel but that's the first question I would ask on Class A/C. When I upgraded tires on Class C I was told to make sure that I kept air pressure at lower rating otherwise I risked blowing up the rim and possibly injuring the guys who maintain my tires.

If you're going to "de-rate" the tires by inflating them only to 80 psi, then why get the GY tires at all? Save a bunch of money by going to Sailun tires, if you're determined to get G tires. Save even more by going with Michelin Ribs or Bridgestone Duravis R250 in E-rated 16" tires. Just my $0.02...

Lyle

Sailun S637 and GY G614 are both G rated and 110 psi ,what sense does derating having do with either tire if they are both G rated . For my money I would get the Sailun regardless of what air pressure.

Op did not state which tire, but from all reviews the Sailun S637 is getting better reviews then the GY G614's ever did. With Goodyear you are having to pay at least a $100.00 more per tire then the Sailun . I pay enough for insurance I don't need another 400 plus for tire insurance, and would rather have a tire that is getting better reviews .

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to "de-rate" the tires by inflating them only to 80 psi, then why get the GY tires at all? Save a bunch of money by going to Sailun tires, if you're determined to get G tires. Save even more by going with Michelin Ribs or Bridgestone Duravis R250 in E-rated 16" tires. Just my $0.02...

Lyle
X2.

The only way to take advantage of those higher capacity 3750 lb/110 psi G tires over a 80 psi E tire is to use the higher pressures. Other wise their is no benefit from derating the tire.

Just makes cents/sense to install the right stem and get the benefit of those higher priced/higher rated tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
abc40kids wrote:
So I'm upgrading to G rated tires and I ordered metal valve stems rated at 110psi. The problem is the rubber on the back of the stem wont go thru the valve hole on the wheel...

I also have rubber valves with metal sleeve rated at 80psi that fits... The E rated tires that came on my 5er were rated at 80psi so I'm thinking my G rated tires at 80psi will be much better than the E rated at 80psi. I'm not really wanting to go even 100psi on these stems rated at 80psi. What do you think....

I do have some other metal stems on the way today but they will probably be the same rubber. They make a 100psi rubber stem but once again the base is too wide. I did check my wheels and they are rated at 110psi.

OP stated his rims are 110 PSI rating.

OK..if true

BUT why upgrade tire to G614 110 PSI 3750# and only run them at 80# because of wrong valve stem.

GO to a tire shop and get 110 psi valve stems that properly fit your rims.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
If the rim is rated for 110 PSI then simply get the correct valve stems. No way would I recommended using an 80psi stem with the G614 tires. Do it right the first time.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ksg5000 wrote:
laknox wrote:
First question; are your =rims= rated for 110 psi? If you're only upgrading tires, your rims may not handle the G's, hence the difference in stem hole size. Rims should be stamped on the back side of the bead or in the "valley" inside, which means you'd have to break a tire down to check.
Lyle

Never owned trailer/fifth wheel but that's the first question I would ask on Class A/C. When I upgraded tires on Class C I was told to make sure that I kept air pressure at lower rating otherwise I risked blowing up the rim and possibly injuring the guys who maintain my tires.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Lyle

Kevin