cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fixin to pull the trigger...moving from TT to 5th Wheel

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
All I have to do is say "deal" and we will have our first 5th wheel. We have been rving for 8 years and I have been thru the "gadget buying" phase. What I need to know is what do I really need for the 5th wheel? I have a 30amp plug installed on my house so here is what I am thinking:

- 50 to 30 amp plug
- Step covers
- 2 vent covers
- 5th wheel cover? (I already have tire covers)
- tv bracket & lcd tv for bedroom

Of course, I am going to ask the dealer to include all these (or some of them)

Yes, I have a 5th wheel hitch included and installed with the pruchase.

Thanks.
2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
23 REPLIES 23

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
zackyboy3rs wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
zackyboy3rs wrote:
Husky 16k was mentioned.

There are two Husky 16k Hitches. One is entry level slide bar design... One is arguably one of the best fifth wheel jaw design possible, the single jaw design. The slide bar is just that, a bar closes behind the kingpin and retains the kingpin very securely.

Here are the two different hitches

Husky 16k Slide Bar Hitch

Husky 16k Single Jaw Hitch

As far as safety.... the slide bar does a GREAT job.. the Single Jaw does as well. The biggest difference IMHO is that the single jaw hitch has a full floating head. The full floating head can make it easier to hitch and unhitch in uneven terrain.

Both hitches are good.

The slide bar Husky is the same thing as the Curt E16... You can see that in this link

Thanks!

Jeremiah

The hitch is the Husky 16k S. None pivioting head. I have to be EXACTLY lined up to get properly hooked and secure. Problem is when i am backing I can not see the hitch at all. 2nd concern (and a big one) is how do i deal with uneven sites? Do i need to take extra boards to raise truck tires? I have no clue.

Please any advice welcomed. Thanks.

Hi zackyboy3rs,

As far as dealing with an uneven site with a non pivoting head (I assume side to side pivot) yes, you will need boards to either lift one side or dig a hole on the other side to lower one side.

There is another hitch that you could look at that is getting some awesome reviews. It eliminates the problem of not being able to hitch up side to side and may let you be able to see the hitch through your back window.

The hitch is the Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel Connection...

Here is a Link to the hitch on Amazon.

Here is aVideo

Note you will use the rail version not the gooseneck version since you have rails already.

I don't have any experience with a non pivoting fiver hitch so my experience is based off of research only.

If the Andersen hitch doesn't tickle your fancy then another great alternative is the B&W Patriot hitch with the fully articulating head. Here is a Link

Now, what do we do about you not being able to see the hitch... Maybe some of the other experts here can help you with hitching when you can't see the fiver hitch.

Also, user ib516 uses a hitch like yours IIRC.. you may want to PM him for some tips on this hitch.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Only downsides I've found is you have to be aware of the extra height and the fact it tracks further inside when making turns. Everything else is better about the 5er.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

covenantbro
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a TT to a fifth wheel in December 2014. It tows much much better and love the extra storage and extra living space. We have absolutely no regrets.

drae0814
Explorer
Explorer
Yes pulling the 5th wheel, is a lot nicer then the TT, enjoy it say yes and don't look back, we did in Sept last year and i love the space
enjoy life while you can:D

05 Dodge HEMI Quad Cab
2011 Dutchmen Colorado 5th wheel 37 ft

williams1989
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats... we moved to fifth wheel in Sept 2014..DH loves the pulling and setting up..he loves more!
Happy Camping and Safe Travels!
The Williams Family

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
zackyboy3rs wrote:
Husky 16k was mentioned.

There are two Husky 16k Hitches. One is entry level slide bar design... One is arguably one of the best fifth wheel jaw design possible, the single jaw design. The slide bar is just that, a bar closes behind the kingpin and retains the kingpin very securely.

As far as safety.... the slide bar does a GREAT job.. the Single Jaw does as well. The biggest difference IMHO is that the single jaw hitch has a full floating head. The full floating head can make it easier to hitch and unhitch in uneven terrain.

Both hitches are good.

The slide bar Husky is the same thing as the Curt E16... You can see that in this link

Thanks!

Jeremiah

The hitch is the Husky 16k S. None pivioting head. I have to be EXACTLY lined up to get properly hooked and secure. Problem is when i am backing I can not see the hitch at all. 2nd concern (and a big one) is how do i deal with uneven sites? Do i need to take extra boards to raise truck tires? I have no clue.

Please any advice welcomed. Thanks.

txdutt
Explorer
Explorer
make sure they install dual batteries, for some reason a single battery seems to be the norm nowadays..
2011 Ford F250 Lariat C/C 6.7 PSD w/Curt 20K Lb Hitch & rear Timbrens
2013 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2013 Infinity 3860MS 5'er/15.5K GVW/41'
U.S. Navy 1978-1986

zackyboy3rs
Explorer
Explorer
Just put down the deposit! Dec. 30th i pick her up. Thanks everyone.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Of course, S'up to you, but when our step covers wore out we didn't replace them and now don't miss them at all. The steps have a gritty surface like sandpaper, but the covers seem like a waste for us.

The TMPS is likely the best peace-of-mind mod we have done, but the most useful, day-to-day is replacing the unreachable ceiling vent with a Maxx-air remote controlled unit. The venting, in and out, is important and the remote is wonderful.

Welcome to the world of the 5th wheel. I haven't towed a TT for a lot of years, but there was a long period in between, so backing didn't seem to be a problem, but I go really slowly when backing.
Happy Camping!!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Padlin wrote:
The only things that wer 5er specific for us other then the hitch, was a bed mounted 7 pin connector, lube plate, tonneau cover, a Pin Box mounted level, and maybe a king pin lock if you worry about such.

Some day soon I'll need to come up with a better way to reach the hitch (B&W Patriot) release/lock lever and locking pin, for now I step up on the tire.

Changing trailer items... Area rugs, bathroom fixtures including new shower head, throw pillows, towel racks, misc hooks. We went from an internal power cord to the detachable, picked up a short adapter for that. Different size awning mat.

This is what I recently built. Works great to reach my B&W Companion hitch and access my tool box.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
Check the tires that are on the fiver and find out how much weight they are rated for. Figure out your dry weight, add maybe 2,500 pounds, and see if those tires are rated high enough. Most fivers come with underrated tires and you will know as soon as you start blowing them on your first long trip!

A TPMS is also an extremely good investment. The new ones with flow through sensors and user replaceable batteries are under $300.00. They could save you thousands of dollars in repairs if a tire does fail.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
The only things that wer 5er specific for us other then the hitch, was a bed mounted 7 pin connector, lube plate, tonneau cover, a Pin Box mounted level, and maybe a king pin lock if you worry about such.

Some day soon I'll need to come up with a better way to reach the hitch (B&W Patriot) release/lock lever and locking pin, for now I step up on the tire.

Changing trailer items... Area rugs, bathroom fixtures including new shower head, throw pillows, towel racks, misc hooks. We went from an internal power cord to the detachable, picked up a short adapter for that. Different size awning mat.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
AND....wax that front cap every other day!

(do a search on faded front cap)
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
zackyboy3rs wrote:
Husky 16k was mentioned.

Both hitches are good.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~