cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flipping my axles for more height

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
Presently, my cougar lite sits lower at the rear than the front when hitched to my Ram 2500 and I'm concerned for the uneven wear of tires and brakes. Our kitchen is at the rear of the trailer, so I'm also concerned about uneven distribution of weight.
I'm considering flipping the axles to raise the height of the rear of the trailer about 4 inches. Is there any safety concerns and am I sacrificing ride quality if I do this?
12 REPLIES 12

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Iam raising my rushmore 2 inch,s to make it level also. Also will be able to put alittle more air in the bags

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyp4951 wrote:
If I remember right, doing a spring over axle will give you the total of your axle diameter, plus the leaf pack, plus two perches.

Which was 5.5" on my 5200 Alko axles. I then went down 2" on the jack plates for a net 3.5"
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I remember right, doing a spring over axle will give you the total of your axle diameter, plus the leaf pack, plus two perches.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the crossbracing. I got large cracks in my Lippert frame within months of doing a spring over axle flip. Lippert took care of it but wish I would have known prior.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Espee
Explorer
Explorer
They are putting the axles over the springs now on the Cougar?
My cougar had the axles under the springs from the factory, so I just put 2" blocks in and went to bigger tires for a total of 3 inch lift. Added the wet bolt /equlzrs and x member reinforcement later.. no shocks, as I dont ride inside it anyway. The new Ram is a couple inches taller than mine, so not sure how big a tire you can go depending on clearances...
2007 Ram 2500, 4X4, 6.7
06' Cougar 285EFS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
x2 on welding the new spring perches in.
x2 on the cross-bracing, whether a kit or home made.
x2 on upgrading the suspension with a wet bolt kit.
x2 on upgrading the equalizer.
x2 on adding shocks, if you don't already have them.

Unless you're real handy, pay a =good= pro to do the install.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
A drop hitch for the truck might be an easier solution.

When I upgraded from half to three quarters Ram, I purchased a 12" drop hitch for the 2.5" receiver. Trailer is nice and level now.

OP has a fifth wheel, so a drop hitch does no good.

I got between 5 and 6 inches when I flipped my axles and it was an easy job. As others have mentioned the only tricky part was getting the trailer jacked and blocked safely and high enough to do the job. Aside from that it was easy. Trailer pulls fine and doesn't have any stability issues.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
A drop hitch for the truck might be an easier solution.

When I upgraded from half to three quarters Ram, I purchased a 12" drop hitch for the 2.5" receiver. Trailer is nice and level now.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Do a lot of research you may want to do more while you have it up and apart.
Heavy duty shackles and wet bolts.
Put some extra bracing in with Morryde x-factor.
Up grade your equalizer.
Maybe think about shocks.
If you have 15" tires go with 16's when you need new tires.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a qualified welder weld on the new spring pads. The old pad on the bottom makes a great jacking point. The quick and dirty kit that is not welded on is not a good idea except to get to the welding shop. Brakes create a lot of twisting force of the axle and pads.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it a couple of times (one a pop-up Starcraft, the other...a three axle 22 K lb,Teton. Seemed to work out fine, be certain to properly locate the spring pad mount. Not sure of your axle brand, mine were Dexter(on Teton), bought spring pad mounts from a Dexter supplier. Good Luck
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
I have done a few and all worked fine no issues. hardest part is supporting the trailer safely. etrailer.com was very good for the brackets.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.